Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 LE without the big tow package. Like it is, it has a tow rating of 7200 lbs and a king pin limit of 1080 lbs. Am I asking for trouble with a trailer right at or very slightly over those limits? Looking at some new 5th wheels designed for short bed trucks and they all seem to be coming in at around 7000 lbs and about 1100 hitch weight. If I did that am I just asking for trouble? Any small modifications to make it better?

·
Registered
62 Posts
You definitely want to run max (44 psi) tire pressure on the truck at that weight. Some folks have added air bags to the rear springs for better load control and handling. Adding an aftermarket trans temp gauge might be worthwhile; long grades in overdrive (trans torque converter not locked up) can cause the trans to get hot (you probably should just tow in 4th anyway).

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
The best advise is never tow at max. A lot of people do and that's fine for them but max weight is based on perfect conditions along with other variables. Also your 7200 pounds includes you and cargo not just what you hook to the hitch.
a good rule of thumb is stay at about 85% or less of your tow rating with the towed vehicle. I know I will get bashed for that but it's the safest. Also you have a short wheel base 1/2 ton truck, a long heavy trailer with the best brakes in the world will have it's way with your truck like hobo on ham sandwich if you have to do some defensive driving.
Get a good hitch and a light weight travel trailer.
Upgrades, unless you change out the rear end for the lower gears you all ready have every thing you need except hitch and light plug and well the big mirrors.
A lot of people are doing the air bags and helper springs, I suppose that would help for heavy hitch pin weight with a 5th'er.

Don't get me wrong I am telling you what to do, just what I wouldn't do.

Good luck with what you decide.

good info here
http://www.rvtowingtips.com/how-long.htm

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, guys. I do have the Nissan hitch, plug and the mirrors from the BT package (I had them installed). I now have a trailer weighing in about 5500 lbs, just looking around at options. I do appreciate your feedback.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
they all seem to be coming in at around 7000 lbs and about 1100 hitch weight. If I did that am I just asking for trouble? Any small modifications to
If you are kind of new to RV'ing then you might not know this:
The advertised empty weights are WRONG...If the tongue(pin) weight is advertised at 1100 lbs, after options batteries and propane you will be closer to 1300 lbs.
That's 1300 lbs before you load a single person/item into your truck, what's the payload for that year/model? It's in the Owners Manual...
Without the tow package, you've lost the gears, I don't think your truck is a good match for the trailer you mention...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback. When I gave out the weights, I was factoring in all other stuff like propane, chairs, etc. The trailer actually has a dry weight of about 6100 and a hitch weight of 1020. I was being "generous" by adding 900 lbs of gear, I just don't carry that much. I really think the actual weight would be somewhere about 6600 lbs. when I would head out for a trip. Would air bags in the back not help out with taking some of the pressure off of the rear springs and shocks?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have been towing my 5th wheel for around a year now. In fact, I am camping in CHarleston right now at the KOA. Anyway, it is an 8283SS (30 ft) with a dry weight of around 6500 (8000 loaded as it is I guess) and has a pin weight of around 1100 dry. I have an 06 KC with BT and 4X4 (no OR). My mods for towing include, Airlift Air Bags ($199), NCD leveling Kit with Bump Stops ($100), LT E-Load Firestone Transforce Tires and it tows great. The Airbags are the best thing for a 5th wheel. You can adjust them when you tow, and this keeps the back from saging dow, taking weight off the springs. In my opinion, the only thing that would limit a truck like yours is that you don't have the BT rear end.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
jsprad said:
Thanks for the feedback. When I gave out the weights, I was factoring in all other stuff like propane, chairs, etc. The trailer actually has a dry weight of about 6100 and a hitch weight of 1020. I was being "generous" by adding 900 lbs of gear, I just don't carry that much. I really think the actual weight would be somewhere about 6600 lbs. when I would head out for a trip. Would air bags in the back not help out with taking some of the pressure off of the rear springs and shocks?
No, air bags wont take any weight of the rear and nothing will. Your Titan will no doubt haul it, but, stopping it is where the big issue is. And if you get in an accident with it being overweight you will have alot issues with who is at fault. But dont worry about that "it will never happen to you" Right?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
jsprad said:
I have a 2006 LE without the big tow package. Like it is, it has a tow rating of 7200 lbs and a king pin limit of 1080 lbs. Am I asking for trouble with a trailer right at or very slightly over those limits? Looking at some new 5th wheels designed for short bed trucks and they all seem to be coming in at around 7000 lbs and about 1100 hitch weight. If I did that am I just asking for trouble? Any small modifications to make it better?

Do you have the Offroad Package? If you do then you have the rear end, in fact with your mirrors and hitch the only thing you won't have is the tranny gage. However, if you don't have the OR package then you may want to look at other avenues.

·
Registered
9 Posts
HMMM...did I say Airbags took weight off the rear...NOPE, I did say they took weight off the springs. And that they do. Airbags bolt from the axle to the frame. This takes weight off the springs...HENCE keeping the rear from sagging. If you have a stock truck, you stick with manufacturer stats and recommended weights. If you modify, you can increase the weights. Your warrantee might not cover it, but it certainly isn't a traffic violation to add payload capacity (a few years of LE exp here). As stated previously, trailer brakes are a must. My Titan doesn't brake the trailer, it brakes itself. As far as increased payload: the Airbags and LT tires took care of that. I have thought about moving up to a 3/4 ton (only for the diesel).

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
CheekPKI said:
HMMM...did I say Airbags took weight off the rear...NOPE, I did say they took weight off the springs. And that they do. Airbags bolt from the axle to the frame. This takes weight off the springs...HENCE keeping the rear from sagging. If you have a stock truck, you stick with manufacturer stats and recommended weights. If you modify, you can increase the weights. Your warrantee might not cover it, but it certainly isn't a traffic violation to add payload capacity (a few years of LE exp here). As stated previously, trailer brakes are a must. My Titan doesn't brake the trailer, it brakes itself. As far as increased payload: the Airbags and LT tires took care of that. I have thought about moving up to a 3/4 ton (only for the diesel).
Hmmmmm...You post as if I was talking to you. My bad, I didnt read HIS statement right. When I read HIS post I was visualizing that he said weight off the rear and the tires, not off the springs. I missread it. Of course they are able to take the entire load off the springs. As far as a traffic violation, I never said that. Go back and read my post more clearly as I should of done when I read HIS post not yours. I drove a tractor trailer for 4 years and if I was over weight and "had a accident" You can bet your arse that family that got creamed would sue the living day lights out of me, you, and anyone else that would be hauling overweight. Doesnt matter if its a motorcycle or a semi its illegal whether you have airbags or not. Believe what you want it still wont change reality.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts