Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
[UPDATE-FIXED]Audible *click* but won't start!

My problem started a week or two ago and has now left me with a truck that won't start. First issue is that I would turn the key to start the motor and only here a *click* noise. After a few turns of the key the truck would fire right up. Then it started to take more like 5 turns of the key. Then 10. Now it won't start at all.

Here is a YouTube video of the *click* that comes from the engine bay as I turn the key.

2004 Titan - Starting issues - YouTube

I've done some searching and reading from forum posts and have done the following.

-Replaced starter (what a pain that was)
-Replaced battery (it was 4 years old)
-Replaced negative battery cable and terminal
-Replaced positive battery terminal
-Replaced ECM relay
-Replaced IPDM Part # 284B7-ZE03B
-Swapped starter relay with heated mirror relay
-Tried spare set of keys

Nothing has made any difference. What gives??? I'm at a few hundred dollars in parts now and have made zero headway. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
It doesn't sound like the starter is trying to crank at all, and based on what you tried, maybe the ignition switch?

I would guess it is electrical at this point. You seem to have tried a lot with no luck. Keep up informed and good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It doesn't sound like the starter is trying to crank at all, and based on what you tried, maybe the ignition switch?

I would guess it is electrical at this point. You seem to have tried a lot with no luck. Keep up informed and good luck!
What would you guess is the CLICK noise coming from the engine bay? I can't fathom why it would go away with the new IPDM. I'm going to check out the ignition switch when I head home for lunch but good lord am I frustrated just throwing money at parts.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Did you check every fuse? I don't have a diagram available to see what fuses are all in the IPDM.

Also, do you get power to the radio and stuff when you turn the key?

There is also a fuse on the positive battery cable to check

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you check every fuse? I don't have a diagram available to see what fuses are all in the IPDM.

Also, do you get power to the radio and stuff when you turn the key?

There is also a fuse on the positive battery cable to check
I have the new IPDM in now, so all new fuses. Still the same click. I ran the IPDM test and the horn honked, wipers turned on, etc... so that much seems good.

I do get power to everything. All seems to work except for the starter turning. I messed around with the ignition switch and disconnect/reconnected the 3 connections. I don't have a switch to swap out currently to test, but I don't think that's it as I can here the click noise from the engine bay.

The fuses on the positive battery cable all look ok.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
The click to me sounds like the normal dead battery click when there is not enough juice in the battery to crank the starter. It is possible to get a bad battery from the store. My wife’s car had this happen. We replaced the battery, and 2 days later we got the click. I pulled the battery, it tested good at the parts store, so I jumped the car, took it to the shop, and they determined it was indeed the battery.

If you are getting power elsewhere, it sounds like there may be a short somewhere in getting power to the starter.

You may have to take it in and get it looked at.

Sorry I cannot be of anymore help. Hopefully you can get it figured out.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Can you jump start the truck? If so that would help narrow it down as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Swapped out the positive battery terminal fuse block on a buddies titan to rule it out. Cleaned and connected back up to mine, tightened down, and wallah. Fired right up. So it was just corrosion on the positive battery fuse block the whole time.

:bangit:

So, if anyone needs a used but definitely working starter or ipdm, hit me up!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Same thing with my truck - a 2004 Titan with 144,000 miles. I just get a click - not a succession of clicks. It actually starts every now and then, but then goes right back to the single click. The battery is 6 months old. I just replaced the positive battery terminal only - not the fuse block. I also replace the negative battery cable since I noticed it was split at the battery post and therefore not able to grab hold of the post. Upon doing this - same thing - just a click. I am now going to go for the positive battery terminal fuse block and hope for the best.

UPDATE - After replacing the fuse connector with no luck, and even thought the battery was just 7 months old, I talked Walmart out of a new one just to eliminate the possibility. Well, I have eliminated the battery as a problem, but still have the problem. I called my actual real mechanic friend and told him all I had replaced. He quickly said - starter. He noted that his shop had replaced 7 or 8 and that they seem to go around 120,000 miles - give or take. Now, I just have to hope I can get one of those clicks to turn into a start so I can drive it to his shop to do a number of things, including the starter. By the way, I did participate in the IPDM recall a few years ago. Yes, it could be the IPDM again. Another by the way - Rock Auto beat NAPA by a wide margin on pricing for all needed, even including shipping. Rock Auto basically tied with Amazon on the parts and shipping, but I went with Amazon because after all was totaled, I got a new Bosch starter and solenoid int he package instead of another brand from Rock Auto. I would go back to Rock Auto in a second for parts. The only hangup is not the shipping cost, but the shipping time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having this issue with a 2006 Armada. New starter, and about to install a new positive terminal and fuse block. I've wondered if there's an issue in the ignition or the ignition chip reader. Any solutions out there besides replacing the whole vehicle?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just had this issue on my 2015 that I just bought 6 weeks ago. Worked fine. I stopped at the store and it wouldn't start again. Checked all fuses, battery and relays. Had it towed home and started taking reading on everything. What it turned out to be was the fusable link plug at the battery came loose somehow. The only indication that you may get is that the gear indicator on the dash won't show that you are in P. Normally the indicator shows the gear you are in with a square around it. If you do not have the square around the P check that plug.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Swapped out the positive battery terminal fuse block on a buddies titan to rule it out. Cleaned and connected back up to mine, tightened down, and wallah. Fired right up. So it was just corrosion on the positive battery fuse block the whole time.

:bangit:

So, if anyone needs a used but definitely working starter or ipdm, hit me up!
I got a question, when you swapped your fusible link did you test it for continuity with a tester? I pretty much did the same thing you did. I got new ipdm, starter tested ok. I checked the fusible link with tester and its got continuity. Batt is good. I suppose i need to get a new fusible link?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts