Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello! After stalking this forum and researching for weeks I decided to ask for some help. Car audio is somewhat foreign to me. Especially all the "newer" (to me) features that they have going on. The man of the house who has done basic aftermarket installs has ME doing all the searching. :eek_surprise:

We've finally upgraded our 10+ year old vehicles to a "new" used 2014 Nissan Titan SV withOUT the Rockford system, BUT it does have the factory rear backup cam.

Backstory.... We installed a single 10 inch sub and an amp to our factory radio, HOWEVER we are getting popping when we turn the headlights on/off and some deep clicking once in a while when the turn signals are used. After trial error and unnecessary $$ spent we have decided to buy an aftermarket radio to use instead or stock, or wasting $50+ an hour for a professional to figure out what the problem is. Maybe related to the trailer brake the previous owner may have installed? No clue!

Anywho... To my question. I, myself, am pretty short. The backup camera I have actually found helpful to me, so I would like to keep it. My research has brought me to an older thread that re-directs me to a Tunda forum doing an aftermarket radio install keeping the backup cam, which involves buying what I think maybe a few un-necessary items? Others say to basically trash it and buy an aftermarket camera. I would rather not spend the extra money and would like to see if anyone has successfully installed an aftermarket receiver keeping to factory backup camera on a 2014 and I am assuming an older Titan would be the same process? IF SO, can you please share the proper harnesses you have purchased? ::angel::

Here is what I have found to purchase so far and since I make everything harder than it should be, I decided to ask for a little confidence boost before splurging....

Already purchased our receiver.... Kenwood DDX672BH

Some reviews I have noticed say to buy 2 of these and use wires from one to make the initial one compatible.
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Metra-70-7552-Harness-2007-Up-2008-Up/dp/B000VXED54/ref=sr_1_cc_4?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1460187976&vehicle=2014-67-2440-------------0&sr=1-4-catcorr&ymm=2014%3Anissan%3Atitan&keywords=2014+nissan+titan+radio+harness[/ame]

I see that this to keep the steering wheel controls?

EDIT: I pasted that link twice..... THIS for the steering-http://www.amazon.com/Axxess-ASWC-1-Universal-Steering-Interface/dp/B00B4PJC9K/?tag=viglink22202-20

And this to keep the stock backup cam?

Is that all for what we are trying to achieve?
Yay? Nay? Other advise? (No, I will not be doing the install myself. We may also be having a pro do it if he ends up looking at it everything additional we need.)

And of course Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've got the same issue right now. I had all of my audio in my 10 Titan and I pulled a lot of it out. My 14 that I just got has the camera. I got all of my stuff from tech12volt. I'm in the process of ordering everything I need for my new one through him. He says Kenwood makes an adapter for it. My head unit is a Kenwood DDX series. Only thing I could see being the difference is mine has the RF factory system. You might get a hold of him and ask. He would be able to let you know. Good guy that's certainly helped me out along the way.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Yes, you need two of the Nissan harness adapters in order to get the necessary pins to make it work (there are three or four pins missing from the 'standard' adapter that need to be there for the SW controls to work). The link listed for the AXXESS controller is for its wiring harness, you will need the actual device

The Nissan backup camera requires 6 volts to work which is supplied from the stock radio. While it may be possible to "make it work", the easier way is to install an aftermarket camera. There are a number of those available (search Amazon) at very reasonable prices. I have a 2013 Titan and added a camera just above the license plate (used a camera with license plate mount). There is a 12 volt line at the rear of the radio that switches on when the transmission is placed in Reverse that can be used to power the new camera and switch the HU to BU camera mode.

If you have a USB function on the new HU and you want to use the stock USB wiring located in the center console you will need an adapter to connect the factory cable to the new HU (google search "nissan USB adapter").

A good investment would be the factory manual for your vehicle. $20 will buy you 24 hour access to Nissan Publications where you can download Nissan manuals (in PDF form).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you! I proofread and proofread. Didn't catch I posted the SWC harness twice. LOL. Good catch. I was kind of hoping to leave that Step Down Voltage Module out of the picture. I'll add it into my shopping list..... Maybe a different camera.

·
Registered
684 Posts
After further review - You still need two of the connectors in your first link to make one useable one. The second link (now listed three times after your edit) lets you retain the existing BU camera. You also need the actual AXXESS interface unit which I linked to in my first post. If you look in the "also purchased with this item" you will see a listing for the USB adapter cable that I mentioned earlier.

EDIT: There are two main cables connected to the stock radio. One is 20-pin that contains power, ground, audio and SWC controls (connector in your first link), the other is a 32-pin connector that contains among other things the BU camera connections (this connector is not used when wiring in an aftermarket HU). The connector in the AXXess NIS32SWC plugs onto the stock 32-pin connector to pick up the BU camera connections.

You will also need an antenna adapter cable for Nissan.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After further review - You still need two of the connectors in your first link to make one useable one. The second link (now listed three times after your edit) lets you retain the existing BU camera. You also need the actual AXXESS interface unit which I linked to in my first post. If you look in the "also purchased with this item" you will see a listing for the USB adapter cable that I mentioned earlier.
I quit. Trying to edit. Three times.... Sigh... Lol. I am 99% positive now I got the gist of what to buy. Thank you again!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright all this.... We're not worried about keeping the USB under the middle console. We're just going to run the one that comes with the receiver into one of the accessory slots.

x2 -

Atenna adapter-

Backup Cam harness-

To drop the volts from 12 to 6 for the camera-

To keep steering controls-

And off to find a dash kit.....

·
Registered
684 Posts
The NIS32SWC harness should take care of providing the correct power for the camera. You should not need the DC converter. There is some wiring that will be provided with SWC adapter, use the wiring that comes with the NIS32SWC harness instead. DC power, ground and three other wires (for the SW controls) will be connected to the 20-pin connector. The three wires will not have pins installed in the 'standard' wiring connector (hence the extra connector to 'steal' pins to mount in the connector).

You can use a dremel tool to cut up the sacrificial connector to free up some pins to plug into the connector that will be used.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Success. We just pretty much finished up. The EASIEST part between the steering controls and stock camera, was the stock camera. It was pretty much plug and play. The hardest part that we're still working on is the steering controls. We ended up splicing the harness into the factory harness. We got the Vol + and - to work just gotta program the phone & source. The most irritating was the waste of money dash kit. We used the mounting brackets from the factory radio and put some trim molding around the new receiver to fill in the gaps for now. Thanks again for the help.

And the audio shops around me wanted $175-$253 to install it all. Psshh...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts