Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Titan CrewCab Pro4X
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody ever do this? I recently put a new radiator in my 2011 pro4x and ever since i feel like my transmission has been shifting weird and has less initial power. I added the amount of fluid that i thought i lost during radiator replacement and it reads full n looks clean on the dipstick. I’d like to drain and refill and then I saw somewhere that theres a filter you can replace?? I called Nissan and they said $289 for fluid drain/fill and there is No filter to replace.. they said the filter is metal and non replaceable and they suck all the fluid out with a vacuum then refill??? Can anyone elaborate on this? Thanks

·
Registered
2017 titan sv 4x4 with tech, convinience, tow, navigation, and Texas packages
5,877 Posts
i think if you check on here, there should be a few people who have done changes and put what they have done in the driveway. or maybe they will come on in a bit and reply to this?

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Drain and Fill is what you need to do it is very simple. Drain it. Fill it. I know at some point they did away with dipstick for checking it, IDK if your 2011 has one or not? That certainly complicates matters. It must be checked at correct fluid temp, etc. Here is some stuff:

Attachments

Reactions: Jwhyte83

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Also, it was discovered years ago that this transmission absolutely HATES a FLUSH. Many who flush and filled theirs had problems. That is why Drain/Fill is the recommended option

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
If you read the factory service manual section (part of which are inserted above by 54), there are two options. First, you can drain/fill multiple times over a period of chances to get mostly new fluid in. Or you can unhook the return line and use the trans pump to push out all the fluid and exchange it for new. You'll want a helper for that, so one can sit in the truck and crank/shut down and the other can watch what's coming out while simultaneously adding back in as fast as possible to replace. Process is drain the pan, refill it, and then have your helper fire up the truck while you direct the return line into a bucket marked for quarts. When the truck gets a quart ahead of what you're adding back, shut it off and catch up. Continue until the fluid you're getting in the bucket looks clean and clear-red like what you're pouring into the funnel up top to replace it. Plan for about 14qts on hand so you don't run out partway through.

·
Registered
2011 Titan CrewCab Pro4X
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys! I feel like It makes more sense to have Nissan do it.. I have enough on my plate.. besides it’ll cost me almost $200 for that much of the Nissan ATF.

·
Registered
2021 Titan Pro4x
747 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys! I feel like It makes more sense to have Nissan do it.. I have enough on my plate.. besides it’ll cost me almost $200 for that much of the Nissan ATF.
I’d have to agree with you on the $289 not being an awful price for the time/money saved.
I wouldn’t really question that cost compared to the cost of the ATF and your time spent. Plus if the dealer Fs it up, it’s on them! 👍🏼

·
Registered
2011 Titan CrewCab Pro4X
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’d have to agree with you on the $289 not being an awful price for the time/money saved.
I wouldn’t really question that cost compared to the cost of the ATF and your time spent. Plus if the dealer Fs it up, it’s on them! 👍🏼

·
Registered
16 Posts
Filters are a metal/screen and are available at all of your local parts stores like Advanced, Napa and can be had with replacement rubber pan gasket.
if you replaced your radiator and your not aware of the transmission cooler failure issues and the bypass/ external cooler, please read up on it. Mine failed before I was aware. And it’s not if, but when it fails.

·
Registered
2011 Titan CrewCab Pro4X
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Filters are a metal/screen and are available at all of your local parts stores like Advanced, Napa and can be had with replacement rubber pan gasket.
if you replaced your radiator and your not aware of the transmission cooler failure issues and the bypass/ external cooler, please read up on it. Mine failed before I was aware. And it’s not if, but when it fails.
Are you saying that because i replaced my radiator, my trans cooler will eventually fail? Can you please elaborate?
What happened when yours failed? Did it fry your transmission?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Are you saying that because i replaced my radiator, my trans cooler will eventually fail? Can you please elaborate?
What happened when yours failed? Did it fry your transmission?
No sir, I’m not saying that because you replaced your radiator, your trans cooler will eventually fail.
I am saying that the design of our radiators with the integrated trans cooler is a flaw and because of that it will eventually fail. It is a “tube within a tube” in the bottom of the radiator. Google Nissan transmission Cooler Radiator failure and read for days.
When it fails - coolant and trans fluid mix.
When mine failed, I watched it happen while I had the truck running in my driveway with the hood up. Res. Tank filled with trans fluid.
  • Turned truck off. Drained trans. Drained coolant. Flushed coolant. Replaced radiator with all aluminum Koyo.
  • flushed trans with 24 quarts of fluid. Pulled TCM/Valve body, disassembled and flushed. Reinstalled. Mounted external trans cooler to front of A/C condenser.
Ran ok for about 3 months. The clutch plates are paper based and any moisture in the trans will cause them to delaminate. Moisture will also kill the tcm.
So, your best bet is to enjoy your new radiator but save yourself $4000+ and bypass the internal trans. Cooler and add a aux. cooler. Plenty of write ups on here explaining why and how to.
hope this helps.

·
Registered
2017 titan sv 4x4 with tech, convinience, tow, navigation, and Texas packages
5,877 Posts
Same issue on Toyota radiators too, probably others. Google strawberry milkshake of death, or smod

·
Registered
2011 Titan CrewCab Pro4X
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No sir, I’m not saying that because you replaced your radiator, your trans cooler will eventually fail.
I am saying that the design of our radiators with the integrated trans cooler is a flaw and because of that it will eventually fail. It is a “tube within a tube” in the bottom of the radiator. Google Nissan transmission Cooler Radiator failure and read for days.
When it fails - coolant and trans fluid mix.
When mine failed, I watched it happen while I had the truck running in my driveway with the hood up. Res. Tank filled with trans fluid.
  • Turned truck off. Drained trans. Drained coolant. Flushed coolant. Replaced radiator with all aluminum Koyo.
  • flushed trans with 24 quarts of fluid. Pulled TCM/Valve body, disassembled and flushed. Reinstalled. Mounted external trans cooler to front of A/C condenser.
Ran ok for about 3 months. The clutch plates are paper based and any moisture in the trans will cause them to delaminate. Moisture will also kill the tcm.
So, your best bet is to enjoy your new radiator but save yourself $4000+ and bypass the internal trans. Cooler and add a aux. cooler. Plenty of write ups on here explaining why and how to.
hope this helps.
All the research I just did only pertains to 2005-2010 models, if have a 2011. Do you think the changed anything in 2011? Also, do you think my aftermarket radiator will eventually have same issue?

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
2011 and beyond still have a warming/cooling circuit in the lower radiator tank. Despite the statements of "not if but when" I don't believe it's guaranteed. I know too many unmodified Titans on the road without problems. Several over 300k miles.

That said, when my truck started running warm, I decided when I set out to do my radiator swap I'd do it with the Koyo all aluminum radiator, which necessitated the aux cooler since it does not have the wamr/cool circuit in the lower radiator tank. My trans runs cooler for sure, which for me is good, since I tow my wakeboat pretty much all summer long.

If you went back with an OEM-style radiator you still have the warm/cool segment in your lower tank. For about $90 you can eliminate it in an afternoon if you're concerned. There is a great bypass thread on ClubTitan, linked somewhere on here.

·
Registered
16 Posts
All the research I just did only pertains to 2005-2010 models, if have a 2011. Do you think the changed anything in 2011? Also, do you think my aftermarket radiator will eventually have same issue?
2004-2015 are all the same.
I can’t guarantee your aftermarket radiator will eventually have the same issue. What I can say is that by doing the bypass, you are guaranteeing it won’t happen. It’s a cheap guarantee.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts