Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
All,

Recently I picked up some oil and a Fram filter at AZ for the truck. The check out guy suggested that I'd get a better deal if I took the special on mondo size jug of Castrol as I could get a free filter with it all for 15.99. Being the sucker I said sure.

Having removed the old Fram I immediately noticed the STP is shorter (still!) than the Fram. Shorter means less filter media and a greater chance for bypass pressure flow. Not good.

However...what really caught my eye and had me in shock was the flow holes. The STP has SIX holes about 5/16d for inlet (inlet is into the rubber flap valve) and the Fram as TEN about 9/32d (slightly smaller) in it. Six, ten, whatever, what's the difference?? FLOW. Without calculating total area I'll wager the STP filter is about 30% more restrictive! That's HUGE! So...if you like putting the choke on your oil (in a big V8?!) this is your filter. Me, I'll look for more holes. I went back and confirmed his part number was correct. I'd already filled (and drained it) so I got the long look at taking it on exchange. Chalk it up to experience, I just paid for the Fram.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
You tried to exchange a filter you had already put oil in. Thats classic...lol

Your putting entirely to much thought into this. By the way, fram filters are junk. they use cardboard end caps and are known to fall apart

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Your putting entirely to much thought into this. By the way, fram filters are junk. they use cardboard end caps and are known to fall apart
I tent to prefill filters before I install them to prevent dry start up. Call me old school. Curious as I am...I'll put up the exact hole size tomorrow and see what I find.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts

Hey, I once saw a jug of M1 full of used oil that somebody returned on the shelf. I thought that OEM Nissan (dunno who makes them) M1 and Puralator were more highly regarded filters. You can spend hours on bobistheoilguy.com

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
thats why you dont buy cheap go with Mobil 1 filters. and or K&N preferly Mobile 1.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
what do you mean the synthetic oil with the filter as a package?

·
Registered
989 Posts
The Royal Purple filters are suppose to be even better than the Mobil 1 filters since RP uses a 100% full synthetic fiberglass media rather than a blended media like M1. I'm trying the RP filter now since I had a high percentage of insolubles in my oil last analysis and BlackStone said it may be due to the filter I was using (a M1 filter). Either way, I wouldn't use Fram and I'm surprised they took the filter back.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Royal purple filter is the same as Amsoil and made by Donaldson. You are correct, they are one heck of an oil filter.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
As far as cheap oil filters go (which are perfectly fine) Purolater are good and you can get them at advanced auto. AutoZone doesnt carry them, but i believe stp brand to be fairly decent.

Dont get so caught up in the size. have you seen how small the factory Nissan filter is?

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
The Royal Purple filters are suppose to be even better than the Mobil 1 filters since RP uses a 100% full synthetic fiberglass media rather than a blended media like M1. I'm trying the RP filter now since I had a high percentage of insolubles in my oil last analysis and BlackStone said it may be due to the filter I was using (a M1 filter). Either way, I wouldn't use Fram and I'm surprised they took the filter back.
Royal purple filter is the same as Amsoil and made by Donaldson. You are correct, they are one heck of an oil filter.
yea the royal is the best i couldnt find one so went with M1 since its behind royal of one of the best

·
Registered
28 Posts
The sum of the area of the inlet holes on either of those filters is at least as large as the area of the outlet hole in the center of the filter. I calculated the area of the outlet hole (based on Wix specs) as ~.48 sq. in. and the areas of the 2 filters inlet holes between .45-.50 sq. in. It's not as big of a deal as the OP made it out to be, though neither Fram nor STP would be 1 of my top 5 filter picks. Either 1 would be fine for a 3500-5000 mil oci.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I run wix filters...any complaints on them??

·
Registered
989 Posts
yea the royal is the best i couldnt find one so went with M1 since its behind royal of one of the best
I believe they are only sold at Pep Boys.

They didnt. He paid for an additional filter because he likes more holes.
I guess I didn't feel like reading the last sentence or something.:bangit: Thanks for clarifying that.

I know Amsoil is made by Donaldson, but Royal Purple is made by Champion Labs.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I run RP in my wife's CRV. Pepboys has had a $49.99 RP deal going for a while now and I've been able to do the oil change with that product. I actually noticed the vehicle performs best and gets the best mileage with RP filter and oil.

As far as the filter for the Nissan Titan, I just go to the dealer and pay $7.50 for an OEM filter. I heard some Titan's can be tempermental if they do not have the OEM filter.

·
Registered
560 Posts
STP is actually a decent filter ,and it is manufactured by Champion Labs.
It is superior to the entry level orange Frams.

Champion Labs also manufactures M1 , K/N, bosch, and Walmarts own Supertech filter.

They are all built to different specs.
The supertech is actually a really good filter and is usually less than 3 bucks.

IMO the K/N is a waste and has the least filter media out of them all.
I have cut them all open.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I won't debated brands there are ample threads and forums to discuss that. I have run the Fram Tough Guard for years and have no complaints. (but then I have all the original brakes on my 04 too...)

The difference is not as bad as I had thought. Hey, I make mistakes and quick references like anyone but there is a difference.

The outlet is .725" or .413sq" and I'm sure on both or it won't bolt on.

The STP has 6 inlet holes of .245 (stamped from .250 I suspect) net .282sq"

The Fram has 10 oval inlet holes (.180*.215)*.8 or .309sq"

In this case the Fram flows 'in' by an increase of 9% or the STP is 9% restrictive of flow. Add to that the STP is also .500 shorter and you can figure it has less filter media as well.

(and for those wondering about the filter with oil in it- it was new oil, emptied and not installed....not a used dirty filter and oil...duh)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts