Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just had to jump my truck off again to get to autozone to get a new battery. After paying I asked if they wouldn't mind installing it since I didn't want to have to jump my truck again and I'm flat out beat from yard work all day.

The guy said they couldn't change it because my computer needs power at all times, or they risk completely wiping out my computer and it will need a reflash. He said they did this once to someone else's car and it cost $900 for the dealer to fix it at autozones cost.

Is there any truth to this on an 18 titan before I go home and yank this old battery out and change it myself?

LC

·
Premium Member
2021 Titan SL
920 Posts
First I've heard of it. Never replaced a battery in a Titan though. A lot of folks on here have and not reported that. I've replaced many a vehicle battery and never had such problems.

I'm going with a lazy employee. Seems that being a service mentioned in their commercials.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
So I just had to jump my truck off again to get to autozone to get a new battery. After paying I asked if they wouldn't mind installing it since I didn't want to have to jump my truck again and I'm flat out beat from yard work all day.

The guy said they couldn't change it because my computer needs power at all times, or they risk completely wiping out my computer and it will need a reflash. He said they did this once to someone else's car and it cost $900 for the dealer to fix it at autozones cost.

Is there any truth to this on an 18 titan before I go home and yank this old battery out and change it myself?

LC
I used to be a Duralast fan until all the pushback from Autozone when I did have issues…

The gal with 100 tads and 75 piercings working the Walmart returns center gives me a battery credit within seconds….

·
Registered
2019 SL 4x4
21 Posts
when I had my battery replaced on my '19 SL, O'reilly plugged a power source into the OBD port but warned me not to open the door while they replaced the battery or it would screw up the computer

·
Premium Member
5,273 Posts
I changed the battery in my 2018 in advance autos lot and zero issue.

Clint

·
Premium Member
5,273 Posts
I changed it. No problems but still have a check engine light. Battery was unplugged for about 5 minutes.

LC
Get them to read the code and reset it if battery related.

Clint

·
Registered
2012 Texas Titan SL, Big Tow, Blizzard White, Tastefully modded
1,052 Posts

·
Registered
2017 titan sv 4x4 with tech, convinience, tow, navigation, and Texas packages
5,877 Posts
I was just talking to a guy who out a new battery in his infinity q80. I thought it was around the year of my truck, 2017ish, but nope. It turned out to be a 2014 and had the same motor we have and the same front end styling.

He had his out a bit of time because we all had to stand in line in the store. He threw it in and his truck started up perfect with no check lights.

He said he loves it even though it needs a new battery every 20-24 months and doesn't get the best gas mileage.

I laughed, thinking of our trucks

·
Registered
2021 Titan Pro4x
747 Posts
Better yet, get a bluetooth OBD2 reader for under $15 from Amazon and download the Torque app. Then you can read the codes and reset CELs for yourself.

I've purchased 3 of these:
I don’t know who makes me spend more money on cool sh*t, but you are probably top 3 easily. Thanks for this one! 👍🏼

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have one of those scanners. They are nice. I read codes for everyone else now. BTW I bought a smaller than OEM walmart battery for $49 3 years and 70k miles ago for my 2017. Still works great. There is no reason that I am aware of to buy an expensive battery. The voltage excuse from AutoZone is BS too.

·
Registered
2012 Texas Titan SL, Big Tow, Blizzard White, Tastefully modded
1,052 Posts
I don’t know who makes me spend more money on cool sh*t, but you are probably top 3 easily. Thanks for this one! 👍🏼
BTW, don't leave the scanner plugged in all the time or it will drain your battery. Don't ask me how I know. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2017 titan sv 4x4 with tech, convinience, tow, navigation, and Texas packages
5,877 Posts
Yup. The little red light stays on the whole time it's plugged in. Every time I get in my ranger, I see it and think I should unplug it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts