Nissan Titan Forum banner

Aux jack question

7K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  LaxDfns15 
#1 ·
Do any of you know if getting a better quality cord would increase the quality of music coming from my iPhone when plugging it in thru the aux jack? I love using my iPod on my stock deck, but hate the degraded sound quality.

#2 ·
the best way to increase the quality of sound coming from an ipod/iphone is to use less compression. Unless you have a $.99 flea bay special cord that is picking up lots of EMI/RF from your truck, a new cord will probably not make a noticeable difference.

Reactions: Quartz
#8 ·
I listen to Pandora using my droid and a cheap a$$ cable. It sounds pretty good.

#4 ·
Spend the money if you want but lots of independent tests have shown that Monster (and other super-priced) cables don't make any difference in quality.

Reactions: Quartz and IbChris
#5 ·
What I've noticed is the port itself (at least in my truck) is the source of most of my noise. I bought a ground loop cord from Radio Shack and while it does get rid or a bit it is not all. My wifes minivan is even worse using the aux port for my sirius anyway. She at the very least has Bluetooth so I can do my iPhone that way. I have a couple noise filters like the ones that come on computer monitors but have not put them on yet to see if there is a difference. I am toying around with putting a seperate ground on it to see if that makes a diff.

#6 ·
Well, that pretty much confirms what I originally thought. I don't have the sat feature on my radio so I am not sure if the ipod interface will work for me either.
I don't get much background noise/feedback as much as the quaility and sound volume is so poor.

#7 ·
I don't have the SAT feature either and I plug my external Sirius radio into the AUX port. Works fine. The only issue I had was the first patch cord had a "fat" plug and the dimple around the AUX port prevented it from fully inserting. I got a cord with a skinnier plug and it seats properly in the jack.

#12 ·
Where can I get a pocket dock? I have never heard/seen this.

#14 ·
#15 ·
Just ordered the Sendstation. Looks like it will be an improvement from what I currently. Thanks for the info Clash.

#17 ·
Well I just received my sendstation pocketdock.. I cannot really tell a difference in sound quality and its louder using the headphone jack. I am gonna mess with it more tonight, but I am not impressed right now.

#18 ·
Make sure the volume on your iPhone/iPod/Droid isn't turned all the way up. If you've got the stock RF system in the truck, the speakers/sub can handle the volume being pushed over halfway easily (haven't blown one yet). If the volume on the music player is turned up too high it gives a lot of distortion and feedback. Dial it down to like 80% at most on the player, make sure your equalizer is set right, then just crank the speakers up. I've got a crappy $3 cord from WalMart and my Droid has no problems.

Reactions: honda250xtitan
#20 ·
I thought it would better, but I notice no difference at all. I was mainly after more volume.

#21 · (Edited)
Yeah sorry I wasn't commenting on the pocket dock just the aux line. If you're still trying to get more volume but getting bad quality check the audio settings on your stereo and make sure they're not maxed either, especially the treble. Like others said earlier it could be the connection. If either of the jacks are loose in the ports it will cause volume and distortion problems.

#22 ·
I'm using a cheap $4 cord and my LG Chocolate touch, I have great quality sound coming out of my system.

#24 ·
I use my iPhone 4 in my truck and I've tried various cords. All cords are not created equal! The best one I've found so far is one from Radio Shack that I bought while on a road trip and I forgot my cord at home. Its just their generic house brand. I have plenty of volume and I leave the iPhone's volume anywhere from 1/2 to 3/4.

#25 ·
True, source is important. Any music you have on your player's storage drive will sound better than streaming through an app.Kinda like CD's as opposed to the radio. For me, pandora and grooveshark aren't as good as my SD card music.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.