Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought 2 auxiliary back up tractor lights and installed them in the 2 existing holes under my rear bumper, i removed my taillights, and spliced into my reverse lights, 1 turned on once, then i put on the e-brake, and nothing since, i tested the voltage output and it was putting out the amps, we tested the lights to make sure they didn't blow out, and they still worked. if anyone else has installed them, how did you do it, exactly, i had a person help me that installed them on 2 gmc's and they work on his, but we can't figure out mine. thanks guys

ps. I have a 2004 Nissan Titan SE tow package

·
Premium Member
17,124 Posts
To avoid overloading the OEM backup light circuit, the safest thing to do is use a relay connected to the battery, run a new fused power wire to your aux lights from the relay, and to tap the OEM backup light circuit as the trigger lead for the relay.

Since you have the tow package, if you are not using the trailer hitch electrical connector to power trailer lights, you could probably safely also tap the reverse light circuit from the hitch connector harness (the wire diagram for the connector pins is imprinted on the hinged plastic cover). That is what I did, using the inside of the rear bumper as a ground.

There is some chance depending on the amp ratings of the OEM reverse lights and your aux backup lights, that you could run them safely on the same circuit.

There is also a plug and play device for tapping the OEM trailer hitch connector backup lights.
http://www.whitenight.com/0004149.htm

1 - 2 of 2 Posts