Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't come on here much anymore but I wanted to share this. I never did believe you could clean up that old discolored and faded look on your headlights. Well a friend of mine convinced me it did work and only 6 or 7 dollars it wouldn't hurt to try. My truck is 9 years old, from Arizona, with a lot of desert brush scratches and sun fade on the headlights. I bought the resto kit made by 3M. I just finished one headlight. It's a lot of work actually, brainless but a lot of sanding and scrubbing. It turned out WAY better than I anticipated. I really want new custom headlights but don't really feel like getting into doing that myself or dropping that cash for cosmetics. Well after 7 bucks and probably going to be like 3 hours, my headlights will look damn near brand new. Have a good week tt members.

·
Registered
21,015 Posts
Bug spray melts the plastic. And if you don't clean it off will continue to. They will yellow again quickly afterward.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stuff might work well. But for only $7! It really does look new. I had really bad scratches from off road. It got the yellowish sun burn out and the majority of scratches. May take them all out if you went at it longer. Let me try and post a pick on this new site...

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

there's no sun, no glare... I'm in Michigan. The other one turned out slightly better because I wasn't trying to conserve the sand paper. Other materials will cost $7. This was a whole little kit. I know I'm happy with the results. I originally didn't believe it would work. I thought a lot of the discoloration would be on the inside. I recommend it. But my arms were like jello aafterwards.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I bought a meguiars kit that came with a buffer pad that fit into my drill. I had the headlights on my wife's car done in a few minutes. Ive also done my mother in law's and have enough left for maybe one more set.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya another buddy of mine mentioned something like that. I wish I would have looked into it more. That would definitely beat scrubbing for an hour.

·
Premium Member
4,005 Posts
Nice. Where did you get the kit? And I have no issue scrubbing but if I can hit it wit the drill, all the better. So does autozone or anywhere carry the muguirs kit?

·
Premium Member
3,551 Posts
Nice. Where did you get the kit? And I have no issue scrubbing but if I can hit it wit the drill, all the better. So does autozone or anywhere carry the muguirs kit?
You can pick up one of these kits at your local Walmart cheaper than any parts store. However, most all parts stores carry them.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Do not use Bug Spray. Many people have shown that it is only a temporary "fix" (which causes more problems later)

Those kits are nice, but like oompahlumpa said...toothpaste works. Basically any sort of abrasive compound will work.

I usually hit them with a 1500-2000 grit wetsand then finish it off with a compound/polish.

The most important step is to then put on a coating afterwards. Most cheap kits just stop there. Within a month or two, the haze will return. The more expensive kits will sometimes include a clear coat.

A lot of people thin out some UV resistant clear coat and apply that. I bought some Blue Magic sealer and it seems ok. Takes a while to dry, but does the job fine and it's easier to mess with.

·
Registered
14,135 Posts
Definitly make sure to reseal otherwise it'll come back again.

·
Premium Member
4,005 Posts
Alright. Yea I definitely wanna wet sand it first then hit it with the compounds after that. Let the sandpaper do the work. Then get the buffer and finish it up. So just make sure to reseal it.

·
Premium Member
3,551 Posts
Honestly, I've done 4 sets of headlights with the Meguires kit: a Titan, Pathfinder, Altima, and Camry and they all came out looking awesome. In fact, I never even put any kind of sealer on them either...just followed up with a nice heavey coat of wax.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
The factory lenses are clear coated, its usually when the clear coat starts to peel that the lights turn yellow. You can sand, polish it off but if you don't get them re cleared they will yellow again.

Reactions: Pickle-Smooch

·
Registered
758 Posts
Good info. I use collinite prewax cleaner and follow up with the insulater wax and my headlights still look new. Also, b/c maybe I wax the T all the time and include the headlights.

·
Premium Member
4,005 Posts
Used kit on my headlights yesterday. Huge difference just gotta get the sealer and put it on.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I used toothpaste and baking soda. Also bought some , 2 and 3000 very fine wet sand paper at Walmart. It worked on my daughters car. About,,,,1 1/2 to 2 hours for both, with breaks, wrists and elbow tired. Yes, it's alot of circular motions, also, didn't really need the sand paper. The baking soda mixed with the toothpaste acted like sand paper,,,and a little water in between.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I bought a meguiars kit that came with a buffer pad that fit into my drill. I had the headlights on my wife's car done in a few minutes. Ive also done my mother in law's and have enough left for maybe one more set.
The Maguire's kit is awesome, The toothpaste trick worked great on my Sierra HD but would not work on my Jeep, I bought the Maguire's kit and it made the headlights looks like they did from the factory, I was going to use the kit on my Titan tonight too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts