Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At what point does the axle seal really need to be replaced? If oil is dripping on the rim, I would say yes. But, what if the dust cover has a little evidence of seepage and no appreciable fluid loss has occurred? Couldn't this wait, since it might not get worse any time soon?

Just wondering.

·
Super Moderator
93,865 Posts
Your truck is still under warranty. Take it in now and get it fixed for free.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree, but if it isn't under warranty then is there a real problem with just a little wetness?

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Couldn't this wait, since it might not get worse any time soon?
Of course... in fact the longer you wait, the better the seal gets just about fixing itself...:jester:

If it's warranty, it gets fixed/replaced, out of your pocket, yes it could just "weep" for quite awhile before really letting go...I do suggest you keep an eye on the seal and rear oil level like a hawk...

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
^^^^Ditto!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
I have been in contact with a warranty tech at Dana and he answered some questions for me. He said I could post his replies here. I will have to do this tomorrow.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
I have been in contact with a warranty tech at Dana and he answered some questions for me. He said I could post his replies here. I will have to do this tomorrow.
Hope you asked the big one...WTF was Nissan thinking!...:upsidedow

·
Registered
58 Posts
Make sure your axle is vented and that it is working properly. I just found out that the axle vent was never installed on the replacement axle the local dealership installed in my 2004 Titan in mid-2005. A Technical Service Bulletin was issued by Nissan to all their dealerships on 6/6/05 reminding them to transfer the old breather to the new axle assembly on failed replacements. It's to bad that many of the local dealership mechanics don't take the time to do their job properly, which causes additional problems down the road....

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
maybe I was on to something :)

"DANA tech--No, not solely excessive grease. I have seen some brake backing plates with just grease seepage, from excessive wheel bearing grease application at the plant. However, an oil leak is much more messy/obvious on the backing plate, like you described on your higher mileage truck that had it drip into the rim. That is more than likely gear lube leaking out. Yes, gear lube in this axle design does flow out to the wheelends to lubricate the wheel bearing as you take turns, hills, etc. It is not much oil that gets out there compared to the carrier sump level, but it does get out there. The grease applied at the plant is only for the initial break-in of the axle when it first runs dry, not for the life of it. "

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-engine-transmission-drivetrain/64533-danas-response-about-failures.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts