Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Titan is going back in AGAIN for getting the axle seals replaced after a short 13,000 miles. Of course just after the dealer fix warranty(another story). I am finally going to do the axle vent mod that I have been meaning to get around to.:bangit: Amazing how a 700.00 bill will get you going.:huh:

My question is after this mod have people seen the problem go away??? Looking for the mileage and time after the mod that they had no more leaks.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
Mine lasted around 50K after the mod until the next leak. Seal replacement is a pretty easy DIY. $28 bearing, $22 (Nissan) or $12 (National) seal, $20 for a shop to press on the bearing. It gets a little more involved if you have to replace the parking brake shoes, maybe another $50 or so.

·
Premium Member
21,146 Posts
I did the axle vent mod early on and my seals are fine. I tow and go offroad so the rear axle has seen a fair amount of work. I'm also running AMSoil and at 33,000 miles I've changed the fluid twice already.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Had my rear passenger side done at 37K miles under the powertrain warranty. Never did the mod, but was planning too a couple of weeks back, and was going to check the OEM one to check if its cap had free movement, (it still did), but when I started to crawl under there I saw differential fluid on the same rim, tire, and brake. It had probably been leaking for a week or so, because I thought my parking brake needed adjustment.

So the original replacement seal lasted 81,700 miles without the axle vent mod. But since I was planning to do the mod anyway I went ahead and bought the plastic Toyota union that has the matching threads. There's also a brass Nissan part that the Toyota guys use, but it was stated that the inside diameter is smaller on it, so figured less chance of clogging with the union.

Still need the hose and the non-check valved fuel filter, but hopefully will get this done this weekend or next. Was thinking about the bellows from PolyPerformance, but seems like there could still be axle housing pressure, or especially vacuum with it, because it doesn't look all that big in the pic, and there is a fairly large volume of air above the fluid level in the differential.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts