Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In my opinion, the Nissan USA site clearly showed that the locker was standard equipment on my truck. I have attached the comparison sheet from the Nissan USA site that compares the Titan to an F150. My exact model is in the left column. Under drivetrain, the third entry in that category, the words "Locking Rear Differential" appear and under my Titan is clearly states "Standard".

I based my decision to buy this model Titan instead of 4WD precisely because of those words and the fact that I had driven a new Chevy with the e-locker and it was awesome for traction in poor conditions of slippage.

After my purchase, I was looking for a button or something to say "e-locker" and couldn't find one. Then I call my salesman to ask him (he previously told me it was automatic) and he said he didn't know anything about it. Of course, he is no longer there...

I printed the pages I saw on NissanUSA and scanned them and included the first page in my post. UPDATE: I ALSO FOUND IT BOLDLY PRINTED UNDER DRIVETRAIN FEATURES SO THAT IS THE 2ND PDF:)

What do you think? Did anyone else think they were getting an e-locker based upon the information on the Nissan site?

Attachments

·
Registered
827 Posts
I have never seen that page before, but I am almost positive that the only way to get the locker is with 4WD Offroad Package (or whatever it has been called through the years). The offroad package was offered in the 2wd models the first year or so of production, but I do not think it had the locking rear, only 4wd Offroad package models.

Sorry if you were misled, maybe you can talk to the owener of the dealership very politely and explain what happened... Maybe something will come from it?

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
Initially, it sounds like you have a strong position (google up fraudulent inducement - detrimental reliance if you want to read legal mumbo jumbo)

The problem that I see is that when I picked up my truck, I went through a detailed inspection and signed off w/ the exception of a couple of "we owe" items that were documented in writing. The truck was also delivered with the required "Monroney" window sticker listing the equipment on the truck). I assume that all dealers have a similar procedure.

So if I am arguing for them, that is what I would be pointing out.

But yes, I would absolutely raise the issue both with the dealer and with Nissan, because you have a document that clearly states "locking".

·
Registered
98 Posts
Why would you take possession of a truck and look for the e-lock after wards? Seems you should have inpected a little deeper before buying.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why would you take possession of a truck and look for the e-lock after wards? Seems you should have inpected a little deeper before buying.
SilverSteven: Great question. I saw on the Nissan site that the locker was included on the truck I wanted. I asked my salesman to verify what I had learned online. He confirmed that the truck had it. I had no reason not to believe him or Nissan.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2011 comparison is still the same way for the SV 2wd. :ftard:
NorCal 4x4: Interesting validation. I have to believe that anyone who uses or used this tool would come to the same conclusion....the 2wd Titan has an e-locker as standard equipment on that model. Crap, even my salesman said it did.

·
Premium Member
20,599 Posts
Whoever is building the comparison functionality on the web site has mistaken limited slip with locking. Your Titan has what Nissan thinks of as limited slip functionality. It is formally known as ABLS or Anti-lock Brake, Limited Slip. The ABS system is used to send braking action to the wheel that is slipping and - at least on my Titan - the RPM's of the engine are limited. This comes standard on many Titans.

What you're looking for is the e-locker. As stated above it is only available with the off-road package. I suspect that you'll have to raise a ruckus to get the dealer or Nissan to take action. It's going to cost you some money to get the additional off-road package as well as 4x4.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Whoever is building the comparison functionality on the web site has mistaken limited slip with locking. Your Titan has what Nissan thinks of as limited slip functionality. It is formally known as ABLS or Anti-lock Brake, Limited Slip. The ABS system is used to send braking action to the wheel that is slipping and - at least on my Titan - the RPM's of the engine are limited. This comes standard on many Titans.

What you're looking for is the e-locker. As stated above it is only available with the off-road package. I suspect that you'll have to raise a ruckus to get the dealer or Nissan to take action. It's going to cost you some money to get the additional off-road package as well as 4x4.
HRTKD: "Whoever is building the comparison functionality on the web site has mistaken limited slip with locking." My response is that most web creators are given verbiage by someone that is approved by the client's legal department. They don't have a "freestyle" approach when talking about technical features. Also, there is a review process that usually involves multiple sets of eyes reviewing final design and text. The fact that it is still showing for 2011's seems to indicate either that no one is reviewing the information or someone is approving the information that is incorrect. That's what e and o insurance is for.

I find it extremely difficult to believe that NissanUSA is in the dark about this information. It's just been up there way too long.

Regardless, I think they owe it to me and anyone else who bought that style and model of truck. It's just the fair and right thing to do imo. Thanks.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Well, today is Monday, go to the dealership and see what happens...

·
Registered
21 Posts
This thread makes me LOL. If your only source of research is the person/people selling you something then you are begging for disappointment.

The Salesman that showed me the Titan didn't know anything about it, he was pushing buttons and trying to describe their functions. He did a very poor job of it.

If you complain loud enough for long enough Nissan may offer to buy your truck back from you, but what else would you like?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This thread makes me LOL. If your only source of research is the person/people selling you something then you are begging for disappointment.

The Salesman that showed me the Titan didn't know anything about it, he was pushing buttons and trying to describe their functions. He did a very poor job of it.

If you complain loud enough for long enough Nissan may offer to buy your truck back from you, but what else would you like?
mrcarcrazy: Seriously? Sounds like you are saying don't trust the "facts" of the company that manufactures the vehicle and don't trust their paid representative either.

Now, let's see..Am I the only one who saw the factory site and took their representations to be factual? Am I the only person who chose to buy their product partially based upon these statements of fact?

I don't want another truck. I like my truck. All they need to do is install and e-locker for free for me and everyone else who bought a truck like mine that thought they were getting an e-locker. Maybe offer all those effected an extended bumper-to-bumper-warranty to 100k for our troubles and to rebuild the goodwill and credibility of the company.

If I were Nissan, I would do the very thing I am suggesting. Imagine if I were selling any other brand truck and found this out about Nissan. Do you think it would be enough to raise doubt in a perspective owners head to question the character of Nissan enough to entice him to buy my brand instead? They might even wonder what else Nissan is miss-representing....

·
Registered
21 Posts
yes seriously, I stand behind my statement. If you were more informed you'd have known that not all Titans have E lockers...and if you honestly expect Nissan to install them in yours and everyone elses Titans then you are smoking something that you should be sharing, or insane.

I say its an honest mistake on Nissan's site. And your dealer is as ignorant as most dealers. The retention on car salesmen is not good, they are fly by the night types of people as a rule, and often don't stick around at one dealership long enough to learn anything about the vehicles they are selling. (this is obviously not true for all, but as a rule, based on my experience its a fair assessment of salesmen overall.)

The last person I would ask anything about something I am going to buy is the person who is going to make money off of me buying it. (they will almost always look out for their best interests first...which may or may not be in line with yours).

But good luck on your journey, I do not think you will win this war you are waging, but I could be wrong.

EDIT: I just read your PDF files, and nowhere does it say "e locker" it says locking rear differential, which is a name also given to Limited slip diffs(incorrectly IMO, but that's not the point), however the Titan doesn't have a true LSD, it has the ABS nonsense that mimics a LSD. It will take an attorney and lots of money to win your case. Even then all that will happen is they will give you some money, and they will change the verbage, since this is all semantics.

mrcarcrazy: Seriously? Sounds like you are saying don't trust the "facts" of the company that manufactures the vehicle and don't trust their paid representative either.

Now, let's see..Am I the only one who saw the factory site and took their representations to be factual? Am I the only person who chose to buy their product partially based upon these statements of fact?

I don't want another truck. I like my truck. All they need to do is install and e-locker for free for me and everyone else who bought a truck like mine that thought they were getting an e-locker. Maybe offer all those effected an extended bumper-to-bumper-warranty to 100k for our troubles and to rebuild the goodwill and credibility of the company.

If I were Nissan, I would do the very thing I am suggesting. Imagine if I were selling any other brand truck and found this out about Nissan. Do you think it would be enough to raise doubt in a perspective owners head to question the character of Nissan enough to entice him to buy my brand instead? They might even wonder what else Nissan is miss-representing....

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
They don't seem to care enough about spring shackles unrolling to do a recall or at least send a warning notice, so no, I doubt a little marketing misstatement would bother Nissan. And I'm pretty sure that they won't do anything to appease you just because you post in an internet forum. If you are serious about doing something, I would suggest going to see a lawyer. My state, for example, has something called "The Colorado Consumer Protection Act" pursuant to which knowingly making false representations about goods or services may constitute a deceptive trade practice. I assume their defense would be that it was inadvertent, not "knowingly".

·
Registered
98 Posts
EDIT: I just read your PDF files, and nowhere does it say "e locker" it says locking rear differential, which is a name also given to Limited slip diffs(incorrectly IMO, but that's not the point),

There is a big difference between a locking differential and a limited slip diff, they are two different beasts.
If someone said that I have a locking diff, I would think that they have a locker and not a limited slip, so I disagree with that statement.

If the paperwork that you said, has that is had a locking diff, and not a limited slip, then you should def go to nissan with the paperwork and show them and raise hell.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Reading comphrension not your strong suit?

I said "incorrectly." however Nissan is not the first company to make this misnaming of a locker.

EDIT: I just read your PDF files, and nowhere does it say "e locker" it says locking rear differential, which is a name also given to Limited slip diffs(incorrectly IMO, but that's not the point),

There is a big difference between a locking differential and a limited slip diff, they are two different beasts.
If someone said that I have a locking diff, I would think that they have a locker and not a limited slip, so I disagree with that statement.

If the paperwork that you said, has that is had a locking diff, and not a limited slip, then you should def go to nissan with the paperwork and show them and raise hell.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I own a 2007 Titan 4X4 with the e-locker or locking rear differential. I have owned this truck since July of 2007 and have taken it off road many times and have driven in snow and ice more times than I can remember. On road, due to the snow and ice, I have only really needed 4wd one time that I can remember. It has come in useful more than that but I would have been able to make it fine without it. I have never, not once, needed to use the locking rear diff. I would be fine buying a new Titan without one. I am telling you this in the hopes that I can add some comfort for you not having the rear diff. When you turn it on, it is on until you turn it off again and both rear wheels are locked. It would not be ideal for on road use and it would cause the rear to "fish tail" severly. That type of locking rear is different than what is offered on the GM trucks. The e-locker is designed to be used in extremely low traction and only for a limited time until you get unstuck or through the area. I feel that tires are the most important safety component of any vehicle. I do not know where you live so I do not know what type of weather you experience or what type of terrain you drive in. Do research on tires and find the best tire suited to your situation and do not focus on cost, but buy the best performing tire to suit your needs and you will probably never miss not having the e-locker. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
2007 LE makes a great point honestly. Unless you do some pretty extreme offroading, you probably won't miss not having the e locker. I had an 04 with it, only used it one time when I was pretty stuck in some icy snow up in the mountains of washington. Most guys on here upgrade their rears to the true trac, which is a locker more so of what gm offers. Plus, the e locker on the titan can only be activated in 4lo unless modded anyway. So a 2wd truck isn't going to have it as an option. As stated by 07LE, it's for extremely low traction situations.

Now i'm not trying to argue against you going to the dealership with it, bring up the point to them. Show them the paperwork you have and attempt to argue it, they might be willing to work a deal to get you the pro-x4 for what you paid for your current truck. But don't be surprised if they come back saying they can't do anything about it. At most from there, you could call nissan usa and tell them the situation. They will either attempt to make it right to you, or they will fix the error of the website, or even put a better explanation of what they truly mean by locking rear differential. Whatever you decide though, keep us informed on the outcome. Good Luck!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
All of my last three F250s and F350s had 4wd. I only used it occassionally...when I really needed it. That was the moment you had to have it...like stuck in sand or mud with or without a trailer hooked on. It's that moment of truth thing when you have to move forward but can't. It is for that reason that I only wanted a locker and really didn't think I needed 4WD again. I figured the locker would suffice. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
a couple things to mention:

1) The paperwork is certainly misleading because even if they did mean that ABLS is standard on all models, ABLS has nothing to do with your differential, whereas the paperwork clearly states "locking rear differential". I agree that lsd is commonly mistaken for a "locker", but ABLS is a BRAKING limited slip, not a limited slip differential, and it is definitely not a locker. Every Titan owner knows that our trucks will one-wheel-peel all day long in 2wd, even with ABLS.

2) Considering the e-locker on trucks with the equipped option (offroad pkg or Pro-4x) only works in 4-lo, you might have a hard time getting it to work on a 2wd without austin's e-locker mod. I am under the impression that the locker takes some signal from the transfer case which allows it to be locked only while in 4-lo. So I don't think you will ever get them to install a functional locker on your 2wd truck. If you want a real selective locking dif on your 2wd Titan, your only option as far as I know is an ARB air locker.

If I were you, I would see what they will do for you because of the mis-information they are giving out (such as getting an extended warranty or something like that), but I'm not too confident that you will ever get a functional OEM e-locker on your truck. And since the ARB locker is a million times better than the factory e-locker anyway, I personally would just go with that one and be done with it. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts