Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Titan and the back up camera doesn't have a quality picture in the day and even worse at night.
I was wondering if adding reverse lights under the bumper to improve the picture quality at night. Has anyone done this and does it help any?
Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,380 Posts
Not sure if it would wash out the view more. It’s probably more of a night vision issue with the camera.
Clint

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
It's the camera / screen. They are are crap. Nissan skimped and went cheap. Poor resolution on both.

Was just driving my friends 2016 4runner last weekend. The camera on that was much better. Night and Day difference.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I have a 2017 Titan and the back up camera doesn't have a quality picture in the day and even worse at night.
I was wondering if adding reverse lights under the bumper to improve the picture quality at night. Has anyone done this and does it help any?
Thanks in advance.
check your settings as u can adjust brightness and contrast.

U prob dont want to hear this but the 19’s with the new system are much better..

·
Registered
141 Posts
I traded in a f150 and the camera and display on that truck was so much better than this one.

Of all the places to skimp on a truck, that’s a poor choice they made. The garbage camera makes it difficult to hitch a trailer at night, especially if it’s raining.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's the camera / screen. They are are crap. Nissan skimped and went cheap. Poor resolution on both.

Was just driving my friends 2016 4runner last weekend. The camera on that was much better. Night and Day difference.
Same experience here, and my Titan is a '19, which people say is supposed to be "better." I had a '13 4Runner and currently have a '13 GX460, both of which have / had a much better camera than my Titan.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Same experience here, and my Titan is a '19, which people say is supposed to be "better." I had a '13 4Runner and currently have a '13 GX460, both of which have / had a much better camera than my Titan.
If the system didn't meet your expectations then just curious as to why you still bought the truck...

Even I wish it was better but it works fine for my needs...

·
Registered
10 Posts
If the system didn't meet your expectations then just curious as to why you still bought the truck...

I never said it "Didn't meet my expectations", and backup camera resolution wasn't one of my top priorities when choosing a new pickup. All I said was that compared to my Toyota and Lexus, both 6 years older, the Nissan camera is nowhere near as good.

I love the truck, but no manufacturer is perfect. If I had to fault one thing on the Titan, it would be the infotainment system in general...camera included.

·
Registered
141 Posts

well, it didn’t look nearly as worthless as it is at the dealership during the test drive.

Plus, they typically won’t you come back on a rainy night to hitch up a trailer using the garbage camera.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my truck, but it has its share of faults and things that should have been better thought out. Anything related to towing is definitely an area that Nissan should not have been cheap about.

Many people use a truck truck to tow and many people have avoided many pissed off girlfriends/ wives because they no longer needed assistance hooking up a trailer :) It’s still doable with this truck, just not nearly as easy as most other trucks.

·
Registered
141 Posts
The 20’s look good. I like what they’ve done with the front end. And I saw a 20 Pro4x with a Nissan designer on TFL and it had Goodyear duratracs instead of the grabbers. He said it was gonna be the standard tires on the 2020.

He was at SEMA though so he could have misspoken.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

The back up camera wasn't a deal breaker for me. I got the most for my money compared to the other "big 3" trucks.

·
Premium Member
3,380 Posts
I just adjusted my camera settings, until this thread I wasn’t aware it could be done.
Clint

·
Premium Member
3,380 Posts
I did it in my SV.
Clint

·
Registered
256 Posts
I traded in a f150 and the camera and display on that truck was so much better than this one.

Of all the places to skimp on a truck, that’s a poor choice they made. The garbage camera makes it difficult to hitch a trailer at night, especially if it’s raining.
They fixed the camera and display on the 19s. See if you can get one of those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
141 Posts
They fixed the camera and display on the 19s. See if you can get one of those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ll give that a shot. I talked to an audio shop a out upgrading the camera and it can’t be done without changing out the entire system.

And supposedly once you take the display/ unit out, then the amp isn’t compatible with aftermarket head units. So it’s change it all or live with it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts