Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any idea's what I can do? I just installed a Crimestopper SV-5420.IR into my stock nav using navtool. Picture quality during the day is fair. But at night it's horrible. I figured it was to much light from the license plate lights so i taped them off to see if i was right and i was. As soon as I did the picture quality was perfect at night. Any idea's what I can do or maybe a better choice in a back up camera?

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I have the same problem with my boyo camera. I just ordered some LED lights for the license plate lamps - i'll see if they produce less glare. If not, I guess you can tint the lenses to help some.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Go to chinkmart and grab a pack of those 16$ fog lights, place them on the bottom of your bumper and tie the power in with the reverse bulb (make sure the fuse and wiring is sufficient) and aim them with the car in reverse and the E brake firmly in place, should be enough light for your camera to make a good picture with.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Try fabbing a small plastic shield that fits around the camera housing and only protrudes a 1/4" or so. That might shield the cam from direct light from the plates bulbs enough.

I'm about to do a complete infrared illuminator setup for the front and rear of my T. IR illumination helps low light visibility for the cams, and gives me B&W video while in complete darkness.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Try fabbing a small plastic shield that fits around the camera housing and only protrudes a 1/4" or so. That might shield the cam from direct light from the plates bulbs enough.

I'm about to do a complete infrared illuminator setup for the front and rear of my T. IR illumination helps low light visibility for the cams, and gives me B&W video while in complete darkness.
yeah i was thinking about doing this, My crimestopper has LED's on it for night vision and it really had great picture quality when i had taped off the bulbs for my license plate. I've tried different angles and nothing helps. Guess i'll give this a try and if it doesnt work i'll try tinting the bulbs to let out less light.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Not that it helps you now, but that's why I went with a tailgate camera instead of a bar.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
can you tell me which one you have? im pretty sure ill be able to take this one back to the audio shop and have them get me a new one. Since they installed it. hopefully they can leave the cables routed though lol it was a pain getting the titan apart and back together

·
Registered
869 Posts

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Use a relay to cut off the plate lights when in reverse.
That is genius. If the LED's don't fix it...I'll give this a try.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Use a relay to cut off the plate lights when in reverse.:D
damn I had the same idea you beat me to it. Autozone has those bosch relays you can use so when the reverse lights come on, the plate lights go out. Would be a 10 dollar/ 15 min fix and be cool too...

·
Registered
979 Posts
Same thing here lol. Yeah thats what we did on my moms armada. Wired up a relay to cut off plate lights while in reverse

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Nope, turns out the LED's are worse. Looks im going with the relay. Where should it be mounted to keep it safe from water and whatnot? Maybe up in the taillight housing? Dwoelper - do you have a wiring diagram?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am going to do the same thing and do a relay, if someone can post up a wiring diagram or instructions that'd be great. After having my back up camera installed for over a week now and getting to see it in action ive come up with this....

On Cloudy days the picture quality is somewhat foggy looking, thats the best i can describe it.

On sunny days the picture quality is awesome. Absolutely love it.

Night time - When its pitch black I can't see out of it to well because of the lights from the license plate. As posted, But noticed great picture quality in a well lit up parking lot. As i was backing out of the gas station i could see everything.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I still think shutting off the plate lights and activating backward facing fog lights would be best, the shutting off of lights on the plate would put the photo lens in darkness then the background light would let it focus on local things.

Just my experience with lights and cameras, they work like eyes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts