Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighborhood is dark, and when I back out of the drive in the morning, I always worry about hitting parked cars. Isn't there a light bar that mounts to the tow hitch and plugs into the tow recepticle that will provide more back up lights?

·
Super Moderator
160,791 Posts
Reactions: Haze

·
Super Moderator
160,791 Posts
It's easy to buy a couple of individual lights and mount them further out, on the bumper. I have a couple of Hella work type lights mounted in such fashion. Work great. Look good, too, IMHO. :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
It's easy to buy a couple of individual lights and mount them further out, on the bumper. I have a couple of Hella work type lights mounted in such fashion. Work great. Look good, too, IMHO. :)
Sound like a good idea! Have a couple of pics?

-Lab

·
Super Moderator
160,791 Posts
I'll see if I have any I can access from work.

Edit to add pic:

Reactions: RobKar

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
I have the White Night lights that install around the hitch receiver, so they don't interfere with use of the hitch. They are of course much better than the OEM backup lights and have worked reliably for a few years now, but to do over I would probably go with just mounting individual lights farther out for better light coverage. Not hard to wire up with a relay and a three position switch for the relay trigger so they can be OFF, on w/backup lights, or ON (best to use an ignition switched trigger source for ON so you won't drain the battery). In addition to working as backup lights, they provide a handy light source for hooking up a trailer in the dark, etc.

·
Super Moderator
160,791 Posts
Mine aren't currently wired to come on automatically with the reverse. They will be, but right now they're strictly manual on through a relay.

·
Premium Member
58,286 Posts
I've got a relay sitting on my workbench. This mod is in my near future.

·
Registered
372 Posts
If your just looking for them to come on when your in reverse it is a quick install with no wires to run. Ground one side of the light to the bumper and the power wire taps in to one of the wires on the back of the trailer plug .(i forgot which one,somebody help me out)

Attachments

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I like the looks of your lights 20titan04---where did you get them?

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
(i forgot which one,somebody help me out)
I think it is the center pin on the factory connector, if you have the factory connector, the diagram is on the hinged cover.

If you tap the factory trailer wiring for power, you want to make sure that the trailer lights + the lights you install won't overload the circuit.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
would it be better to tap a back up light?

·
Super Moderator
160,791 Posts
No. Use a relay.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
would it be better to tap a back up light?
You need to figure out what lights you want first and figure out how many amps they draw.

Power (watts) = Voltage (volts) x Current (amps)

Say you have two 50 watt lights = 100 watts / 12 volts = 8.33 amps

If you tap an existing circuit for power, you will be drawing an additional 8.3 amps (approx). So the question is what is the fuse rating of the existing circuit and what loads are already on the circuit? If you tap the backup light circuit, the question is what is the fuse protecting the backup circuit and how many amps do the existing backup lights draw? If you tap the trailer wiring backup light circuit, the question is what is the fuse rating of the circuit and what draw will the trailer lights place on the circuit?

You don't want to just use a higher amperage fuse because the fuses are typically selected to protect the wiring. If you use too big of a a fuse, then you risk overloading the wire and starting a fire.

If you tap an existing circuit just for the trigger lead connection of a relay, you will be drawing a very small additional current, well under 1 amp (like about 0.2 amps for a Bosch 30 amp relay) . In that case you run another wire from the battery for the power, fused near the battery and of a suitable wire gauge for whatever current will be drawn for the lights.

Helpful links:

Relays

FUSES

·
Super Moderator
160,791 Posts
Relays can be found at any auto parts place, or Radio Shack and it's not hard. You'll have to bring it over to the house. I won't drive out. :lol:

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
alright so I am going to be really lazy and not search the forum :teethmast
Where did you get your relay from and when can you do mine :redblob"
If you want to minimize the thinking effort, you can buy a kit w/ lights, harness, relay & switch included. I think PIAA and KC have them.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Relays can be found at any auto parts place, or Radio Shack and it's not hard. You'll have to bring it over to the house. I won't drive out. :lol:
I will be down in the Austin area in next weekend :teethmast
I am sure I could figure out how to do it. It can't be that hard. Was just being lazy and did not want to look for the relay. Guess I will just have to go to the parts store and pick one up.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts