Nissan Titan Forum banner

Back up sensors going off w/ nothing behind me....

1369 15
So we had our first big snow today and I get in my 2 week old TITAN and throw it into reverse. Right away the sensors go off (indicating that I am 12" away from something). Luckily, my boss, a former TITAN owner was with me and pointed out the problem (snow / ice on the sensors). So I hit the back up sensor button and we went on our way.

Do you guys know of any tips or tricks to keep this from happening or is it just something that we have to deal with?
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
501 Posts
BlackPro4x08 said:
So we had our first big snow today and I get in my 2 week old TITAN and throw it into reverse. Right away the sensors go off (indicating that I am 12" away from something). Luckily, my boss, a former TITAN owner was with me and pointed out the problem (snow / ice on the sensors). So I hit the back up sensor button and we went on our way.

Do you guys know of any tips or tricks to keep this from happening or is it just something that we have to deal with?
Hey BP4x08, the only thing to do is give them a quick clean and rub with a cotton cloth before you get into the truck (it gets old real quick) epically in the cold, other than that it's a deal with it situation..... sorry !!!

Good Luck - Jay
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Johnny08 said:
Hey BP4x08, the only thing to do is give them a quick clean and rub with a cotton cloth before you get into the truck (it gets old real quick) epically in the cold, other than that it's a deal with it situation..... sorry !!!

Good Luck - Jay
Thats what I figured. That blows:crying:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
92,731 Posts
RiderBelle said:
try turning off your sensor. ;)
Bad move. Better to clean them off than turn them off... Ask the bunch of owners on here who did that and backed into crap figuring the sensors would go off, forgetting they turned them off..... Never underestimate the power of conditioned behavior or the stupidity of your fellow man, temporary or not. :jester: :jester:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,660 Posts
your best bet is to walk around the back of your truck and make sure its clear... then depending on the amount of buildup you can clean it off or just hit the switch to turn it off. Remember they will go off if you have alot of snow behind your bumber too. Mine did that last winter. Just don't rely on the sensors alone for your backing up needs, use your mirrors. Good luck. I can't wait for our first snow of the year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,208 Posts
yup, keep em clean
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,660 Posts
BlackPro4x08 said:
We got 8" last night. It was fun driving to work this morning and testing out the TITIAN'S snow shoes. :cheers:

yeah in your neck of the woods bet that is just a dusting:upsidedow we are overdue for a hard winter, hope we get some good snow to test my truck. Last years snows were ok but not much of a match for the titan here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,426 Posts
BlackPro4x08 said:
So we had our first big snow today and I get in my 2 week old TITAN and throw it into reverse. Right away the sensors go off (indicating that I am 12" away from something). Luckily, my boss, a former TITAN owner was with me and pointed out the problem (snow / ice on the sensors). So I hit the back up sensor button and we went on our way.

Do you guys know of any tips or tricks to keep this from happening or is it just something that we have to deal with?
Carry a can of that spray deicer with you and give them a shot prior to going anywhere, I am not sure what the lens is made out of though, might damage them but I wouldn't think so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,954 Posts
Sftail1990 said:
Carry a can of that spray deicer with you and give them a shot prior to going anywhere, I am not sure what the lens is made out of though, might damage them but I wouldn't think so.
De-icer is just slightly diluted rubbing alcohol. Compared to road salt, mud, sun & whatever else is on the road a bit of rubbing alcohol probably won't hurt that much. It's a good idea!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,565 Posts
I've never had that problem but it may be because I park in a heated garage. Snow or ice on the sensor will be something you'll have to deal with. it is, after all, detecting somethings there. Just clean them when you're brushing the snow off in the morning.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top