Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past month my 04 has been starting a bit slower. It was getting serviced and the dealer said the battery was going bad. I told them I was going to change it myself. As i'm looking at it today I noticed the guages don't move for 3 or 4 seconds after you start the truck. I cleaned up the ground wire and its still doing it. The battery is showing 12.77 volts and 14.xx when running.

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
If you frequent the site often and read through the posts there are quite a few batteries getting replaced lately. I just went to Sears and bought the International series 710 CCA battery for $119. It is free replacement for 36 months and prorated after that to 100 months. The terminals are correctly placed and was an exact fit replacement.

Clint

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw you post about the sears battery. Do you have any clue about autozones duralast gold? It has 750 cca and 3 year free replacement and it runs 76.99. I don't know about the size or terminals though.

·
Registered
168 Posts
titanmike said:
For the past month my 04 has been starting a bit slower. It was getting serviced and the dealer said the battery was going bad. I told them I was going to change it myself. As i'm looking at it today I noticed the guages don't move for 3 or 4 seconds after you start the truck. I cleaned up the ground wire and its still doing it. The battery is showing 12.77 volts and 14.xx when running.
The dealer is probably NOT yanking your chain, but to be sure, why don't you take your battery to autozone (or whatever other automotive parts store you have that's local to you) and ask them to test your battery. They'll tell you right away what's wrong with your battery (if anything).

It's NOT likely that you have a problem with your wiring, especially since the truck is new. Your wiring is a STATIC thing, whereas your battery is a consumable that is more likely than not going to fail within three or four years.

P.S.---12.7 volts without the engine running is fine. 14 volts with the engine running is fine too. You need to take your battery in for testing or just buy another battery. When your truck takes a longer amount of time to turn over, it's almost always your battery.... :) Get ready because if you don't replace it soon, you'll get stuck somewhere.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
New battery in and it starts great again. I went with the duralast gold. Its slighly wider and shorter but it fits and fine.

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
titanmike said:
New battery in and it starts great again. I went with the duralast gold. Its slighly wider and shorter but it fits and fine.
Are you using the stock battery cover? It's there for two reasons:
1) To keep the engine heat away from the battery in summer.
2) To keep it warmer in winter.
The Sears battery is the same dimensions as the factory battery.

Clint

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I am using the stock cover still. It fits over it just fine.

·
Registered
302 Posts
For you guys that have AAA.I found out today that they sell batteries.My neighbor bought a battery from them.They came and installed it too.It comes with a 3yr free replacement and 3yr pro rated warranty after the 3 yrs.They just started offering this service from 7/1/07.She paid $128.Now that they have this battery service you can call AAA for a battery/charging system check.The price may not be the cheapest price but it may be worth it to some.Especially to have
them deliver and install it.

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
boya544 said:
For you guys that have AAA.I found out today that they sell batteries.My neighbor bought a battery from them.They came and installed it too.It comes with a 3yr free replacement and 3yr pro rated warranty after the 3 yrs.They just started offering this service from 7/1/07.She paid $128.Now that they have this battery service you can call AAA for a battery/charging system check.The price may not be the cheapest price but it may be worth it to some.Especially to have
them deliver and install it.
Thanks for the heads up. It is only $9 more than I paid at Sears and I had to drive there and perform the swap myself. It definately is worth it, and yes, I do have AAA on my trucks.

Clint

·
Registered
47 Posts
i had to replace mine 6 months ago after it sat not being used for a couple of months 04 4x4 tried to go optima red top but they dont make one with the -+ swapped. so went with interstate.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
FYI,the Nissan replacement batteries are all made by Interstate exculsively!
They are excellent batteries 18 mos free exchange then balance goes pro-ration to 7 years for the part and labor and diagnostics covered 100% for the term.
This warranty is above and beyond you new car basic warranty if replaced during your warranty period.
IE:get your battery replaced while under your basic warranty hint hint

1 - 12 of 12 Posts