Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i own a 2004 SE CC 2WD and i waited too long to replace the OEM struts, it now has 106,015 miles and i replaced them with the bilstein HDs all the way around about 3000 miles ago.... or roughly around 3 1/2 months ago, and im not really impressed with the ride.

i replaced them my self everything looks good and feels good but its not really night and day like people on here say...i did notice a difference on the highway...it doesn't bounce like it used to..... but on just regular potholes it hits just as hard as the old P.O.S. stocks.

OR!!! am i just comparing the ride quality with my brothers 2002 Z71 Tahoe that BTW needs shocks too but rides way better or smoother.

after all said how can i find out if i got bad shock or do they all ride like that???

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I think you are expecting way to much from shocks/struts. People are often confused of the job of a shock or strut with the job of a spring/leaf spring.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
You didn't mention if you have any other suspension mods...The stock 2wd Titan has almost no compression travel and there for bottoms out on even a small hit...this can not be fixed with just shocks alone.

My cure was a level spacer from PRG, it raised the front end by almost 2.5", didn't make the ride any stiffer, but because of the increased travel the ride got much better...

·
Registered
6,182 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
I had HD'S on all 4 corners that I installed my self and the way it rode I thought I must have done something wrong. I had PRG Greg look at it and as soon as he saw it he said pull the rear shocks off and put the stocks back on and it will ride better. He was right pull the rear shocks off they are so stiff they seem to force the front of the truck down when you hit a bump causing the front to bottom out.

·
Registered
173 Posts
you cant really compare the Z71 to the Titan in the front suspension department Chevy use's torsion bars, Nissan uses struts. two very different suspension systems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts