Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What does a bad CAT sound like? I've got this &^%$$# buzzing that's driving me nuts!

It's buzzing at exactly 1500 RPM's...above or below that, nothing. It only does it when it's worked it way up to normal operating temperature. When it's cold, no buzzing...

I've checked the heat shields and I can't find anything loose or making contact...or at least best I can tell. I'm in the process of replacing my tensioner...to rule that out...But really think it has something to do with the exhaust

Ideas?

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Failed cat should rattle like pebbles in a can... While parked with engine off, use a rubber mallet and tap the cats / pipes to see if you can here particles rattling... If so, your cat is done... Not sure what that sound could be, but you may also have cracked mainfolds causing the exhaust to flutter (exhaust pressure leak)...

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
def lightly tap the cats. if you hit it too hard you can knock some of the catalyst loose and suck it into the engine. if it wasnt bad it is now lol. that is how i check them as well though. you have an upwind and downwind 02 sensor to tell you if the cat is bad though. im not too sure how reliable that is.

1500 rpm is where the exhaust really starts to vibrate. other than a heat shield, i would say (if you have a CAI)...check the metal box and make sure its not tapping the radiator support brace. i had to pad the edge of my box as it would start making a similar sound at about 1700rpm.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
i thought this thread was going to go a totally diffrent direction LOL
i guess i'm the only amature here.
:rofl: that's initially what brought me to the thread too... But realized afterwards, then decided to share my own experience (with bad catalytic converters, that is) :rofl)

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
:rofl: that's initially what brought me to the thread too... But realized afterwards, then decided to share my own experience (with bad catalytic converters, that is) :rofl)
i was going to add my own experience as well, but wasn't about catalytic converters.
and what kinds of sounds a bad cat can make...lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the exact same issue. Took it to the dealer last week for them to look at it. They tweaked the shields above the cats thinking it was the problem but it made no defference at all. I, like you, have about drove myself nuts trying to find this noise. Makes a nice truck sound like a real piece when cruising around at slow speeds. I'll be interested where this goes and will certainly give info if I find the source.

Not sure if I have my truck info on here yet.

09 LE CC 2WD, BD PP, 22" Magnaflow, 2" lowering shackles

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
I have the exact same issue. Took it to the dealer last week for them to look at it. They tweaked the shields above the cats thinking it was the problem but it made no defference at all. I, like you, have about drove myself nuts trying to find this noise. Makes a nice truck sound like a real piece when cruising around at slow speeds. I'll be interested where this goes and will certainly give info if I find the source.

Not sure if I have my truck info on here yet.

09 LE CC 2WD, BD PP, 22" Magnaflow, 2" lowering shackles
Start saving for headers and Berk's HF B Pipes now... That's the only REAL FIX! Fahk the $1k OEM manifolds and $1k stealership labor...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have this problem fixed on mine. I found that the heat shield around the pipe on the drivers side with the o2 sensor needs another clamp. I put a hose clamp on it and the buzzing went away. I put one on the passenger side as well just because.:)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I also SOLVED today!!! Found the buzzing in the exact same place as RMTitan09.

Luckily, I trust my 16 y/o some with my life. Put on E-Brake, and had him sit in the drivers seat, put it in drive, one foot on the brake, one foot on the gas to 1500 RPM's. At the same time he was doing this, I crawled underneath and with the wood handle of my mallet, pressed on the all heat shields underneath.

Sure enough, right where the heat shield is notched out for the o2 sensor(drivers side), it was making just enough contact to buzz like hell. I just bent it back a bit until the buzzing stopped.

NOW...if I can just figure out the front suspension rattle, I'll be golden.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ive been chasing bad rattle/thumping for a year now. Just found it today when my buddy was helping me install my new banks exhaust. Turns out my sway bar link was loose. Thankfully my buddy is pretty smart and showed me how to check this style link. With your truck on the ground put a pry bar over the top of the link and pry down, if link is bad or loose u will see it move.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
^^^ I eliminated that problem by Removal and Not Running a sway bar.. takes about a week to get used to the rolling feeling but it is awesome to be able to take sweeping highway curves at 80+ and had no "tilting" feeling because the body actually rolls with the inertia while the tires firmly stay on the asphalt... I think the sway bar is good for city driving, rides like a Cadi, but I like it better off...

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Ive been chasing bad rattle/thumping for a year now. Just found it today when my buddy was helping me install my new banks exhaust. Turns out my sway bar link was loose. Thankfully my buddy is pretty smart and showed me how to check this style link. With your truck on the ground put a pry bar over the top of the link and pry down, if link is bad or loose u will see it move.
Are you referring to the two "U" shaped mounts that secure the swaybar across the front. I think each one has to bolts in it...(?)

Or are these links on the ends?

·
Registered
12 Posts
check the end links that connect ur sway bar to ur lower A arms. u can slide a pry bar over the top of ur sway bar where the end link connects and pull down. if its bad u will see alot of movement if its just loose u will see the stud and nut move.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Should I be doing this with the wheels ON or OFF the ground?

Thanks for the tip. The tire/brake shop spent 4 hours trying diagnose this...and came up with no answer. I would love to drive it back in and tell them I fixed it in my driveway!

·
Registered
12 Posts
U will want to check the end links with the wheels on the ground. U cant check these style links with the wheels up because the weight is pulling down on the links. Kind of a bad design on Nissans part. Hope this helps fix your problem, its nice when u can hit a bump and your front end doesnt sound like its going to fall out. Good luck...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts