Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
felt the trans slip so I checked the fluid - seemed ok. drove another mile and stopped at a friends house to load some stuff. gushing noise from the front and pink foam pours out of radiator overflow reservoir. WTF. check tranny fluid and its foaming pink/white. some kinda breakdown at the cooler radiator connection I guess. had it toted to the stealer for analysis. tow truck guy was stunned to find out trans fluid goes to the radiator to be cooled...

tried to seach for this on the forum but couldn't find anything. anyone heard of this big $$$$$ problem before?

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
juma said:
felt the trans slip so I checked the fluid - seemed ok. drove another mile and stopped at a friends house to load some stuff. gushing noise from the front and pink foam pours out of radiator overflow reservoir. WTF. check tranny fluid and its foaming pink/white. some kinda breakdown at the cooler radiator connection I guess. had it toted to the stealer for analysis. tow truck guy was stunned to find out trans fluid goes to the radiator to be cooled...

tried to seach for this on the forum but couldn't find anything. anyone heard of this big $$$$$ problem before?
looks like its going to be $1700 for a new radiator and fluid replacement in trans. hopefully, no damage to the trans....love the titan but I'm gonna look at some other trucks. this kind of mechanical failure, associated costs, is not good.

juma

·
Registered
2,900 Posts

·
Premium Member
57,475 Posts
juma said:
tow truck guy was stunned to find out trans fluid goes to the radiator to be cooled...

Automatic transmission vehicles have sent the transmission fluid to a separate compartment on the bottom of the radiator for years. There is nothing unusual about the Titan set up.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I thought there was a trans cooler right behind the radiator?

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
48k miles. I went over there last nite and snatched the radiator away from the nite shift. the bottom tank has a set of lines that go from the trans fluid inlet to the outlet on the other side. the line was snapped off inside. I could feel it with my fingers - WTF. anyway, thats it, unless they did something taking it apart. whatever, there is a big leak inside the tank. the radiator is still good, just would have to connect the two external lines and not use the radiator trans cooler. today, I'm thinking a stick shift 4 dr small nissan pickup would be a better thing for me....

juma

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
got it back, runs and shifts ok. looks like they did not flush the coolant system (must bethinking that trans fluid will be good forthe water pump). as usual, probably should have just done it myself and got a better job. they did run 30 quarts of fluid through the trans. probably needs another 30 to really douche it clean. Looking at it now, I should have bought a radiator, flushed the coolant myself, then had a gas station with a trans fluid replacement machine run 100 quarts of dexron III through the system. then, finally, go in for a nissan j-matic fluid replacement. probably will have to do that anyway....

other truck possibilities, wow, looks grim. small trucks are pretty dang small. big trucks are all bigger and heavier than the 2004 versions....no good choices. guess I'll keep the titan till it implodes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts