Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've narrowed it down to one of these two. What are your guys's opinions on either of these? Ease of installation? Functionability? And does anyone know if the trifecta folds all the way up against the back window like the bakflip does? I figured I'd ask you guys before I made my decision tomarrow and place my order. Thanks:cheers:

·
Banned
27,783 Posts
I sold my bakflip, and bought a Trifecta.

Trifecta goes on and off faster, and is better to resist leaks.

No, it doesn't fold up to the back window, but you can remove it in about 1 minute!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do you realy have to cut the stock bedliner to install the trifecta like the instructions say on autoanything?

·
Banned
27,783 Posts
mrgrim420 said:
do you realy have to cut the stock bedliner to install the trifecta like the instructions say on autoanything?
Never heard of that!~!

It just clamps on!

I have a bedliner, and it works fine, with no modifications.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I also have a trifecta. It is offered in 2 different vinyls. I went with the standard, I wish I had purchased the premium vinyl for the $10 - $30 difference (can't remember). Easy install... Highly recommended.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have one, like everyone above says, easy to install and remove. There's no cutting, the clamps do attach to the side rails and it does limit what
you can do with the bed extender if you have one. Otherwise im happy with mine.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like everyone likes the Trifecta, anyone have anything possitive to say about the bakflip? I'm going to order my cover tonight and so far I'm leaning towards the Trifecta.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Sorry to be the one to have a bad opinion of the trifecta, but thought I'd give an alternate opinion...

I have one, but have stopped using it altogether. I get in the bed many times in a day, and often need to open up the cover when it is on. The problem I have with the Trifecta is not it's installation time or quality, but simply the whole method...open up the gate, unlock both clamps, which is not really just a flick of the wrist, then fold it up and remember to snap it in the open position. This takes more time and manipulation than I like. I came from a Retrax, which was so easy and the perfect cover, except for the 11" box up front, which I don't have room for on a shortbed Titan. The Trifecta also tended to mark up my bed rail covers, and the adaptors that fit in the utilitrack, while probably the only way to do this, tend to slide around, and I have to make sure I get lined up with the clamps.

Sorry again to rain on the Trifecta parade, but it depends on what you are doing with it. I thought these tri-folds were the answer, especially if you did not want a rail taking up space at the sides of the truck bed. For me personally, it just is not the right thing. It sits next to the hot tub for now until I decide what to do with the thing.

·
Banned
27,783 Posts
Krodad said:
Sorry to be the one to have a bad opinion of the trifecta, but thought I'd give an alternate opinion...

I have one, but have stopped using it altogether. I get in the bed many times in a day, and often need to open up the cover when it is on. The problem I have with the Trifecta is not it's installation time or quality, but simply the whole method...open up the gate, unlock both clamps, which is not really just a flick of the wrist, then fold it up and remember to snap it in the open position. This takes more time and manipulation than I like. I came from a Retrax, which was so easy and the perfect cover, except for the 11" box up front, which I don't have room for on a shortbed Titan. The Trifecta also tended to mark up my bed rail covers, and the adaptors that fit in the utilitrack, while probably the only way to do this, tend to slide around, and I have to make sure I get lined up with the clamps.

Sorry again to rain on the Trifecta parade, but it depends on what you are doing with it. I thought these tri-folds were the answer, especially if you did not want a rail taking up space at the sides of the truck bed. For me personally, it just is not the right thing. It sits next to the hot tub for now until I decide what to do with the thing.
I have never had a problem opening mine, pull and snap it's open. Don't understand the difficulty behind that.

And all covers will mark up the bed rail! My Bakflip did alot more damage then the Trifecta. Sorry, we all have opinions both ways.

Those are mine.

·
Registered
693 Posts
A lot of folks like them because they seem to sell well.

If I did not have such a short bed, I'd have another Retrax...

I wasn't whining about the Trifecta, just wanted to give my opinion. getting the clamps undone, and especially clamped back down when closing, is not really as easy as it should be. You've got to make sure they are locked in the groove when you fold it back, or they will poke the cover, then make sure they are out of the groove before it can be clamped, and with the utilitrack adapters in the way, it is kind of a pain when you want to get in and out quick with one hand.
Again, quality of materials is good.

When I decide to buy another cover, it will be an Access roll up.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
I don't know anything about the Trifecta, but am pleased with the BakFlip.

I never need to remove it. Only two bolts hold it on, so would be easy as I keep tols with me. Folds up out of the way just fine for my needs. I used Pop Rivets to hold frame to the bed, instead of the bulky clamps that are so commonly used on covers. 1/8" x 1/4" Stainless, every foot holds it well. A touch of Black Paint Pen and it disappears! I've just installed a BedRub and a Trailseal Tailgate seal, have no leakage. I'll know for sure aftertonights storm.

Had to rep my BakFlip! :)

UPDATE: Huge storm, Dry as a WHistle. I think all my leaks have been the Tailgate, never the cover. I do use Black RTV to fill in small crevicies on my truck, but hadn't done the cover.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I have the bakflip and would recommend it as wll. It doesnt scratch anything and it operates very easily. Doesnt matter how easy it is to remove, becaus eyou never have to remove it. just flip it all the way up if need be.

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
Krodad said:
A lot of folks like them because they seem to sell well.

If I did not have such a short bed, I'd have another Retrax...

I wasn't whining about the Trifecta, just wanted to give my opinion. getting the clamps undone, and especially clamped back down when closing, is not really as easy as it should be. You've got to make sure they are locked in the groove when you fold it back, or they will poke the cover, then make sure they are out of the groove before it can be clamped, and with the utilitrack adapters in the way, it is kind of a pain when you want to get in and out quick with one hand.
Again, quality of materials is good.

When I decide to buy another cover, it will be an Access roll up.
I have the Trifecta and I understand all the issues you say you have. If you are in your truck bed multiple times a day, granted, it's not a "push-button" system. You actually have to take a second and flip the handles into the containment track, and fold it and snap it to the front. But it doesn't take long and I don't see it as difficult at all.

I don't go in there as often as you might, but for approximately 2 weeks straight, while moving, my cover was closed, open partially, open all the way, or off completely multiple times a day for the duration of the move, depending on the need and what I was hauling and what the weather was like. It was fast, easy, and light to change through all it's positions.

PLUS, it has NEVER leaked a drop!!! I like mine and would recommend it to anyone.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Im not familiar with the trifecta until now, i just looked it up. It has vinyl for a covering? I think that would make the decision a no brainer, the bakflip is composite, much superior material, and it looks like they improved on all of its negatives with the new G2 model.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
titan14 said:
Im not familiar with the trifecta until now, i just looked it up. It has vinyl for a covering? I think that would make the decision a no brainer, the bakflip is composite, much superior material, and it looks like they improved on all of its negatives with the new G2 model.
Well! I was happy, content, bragging! Now jealous! There is a new improved model? Gotta check it out. :)

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
yes, the G2, and it has improved on everything wrong with the original, which does have it faults. Now it would appear to be perfect. Anybody oput there have the G2?

i have the original bakflip, and while it has a couple issues, i still highly recommend it

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think I've made my desicion on the trifecta, does anyone have any pics of theirs on their truck? I know what the bakflip looks like, but the websites don't have any good pics of the trifecta on one of our trucks.

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts

This is the Trifecta on the truck.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I knew that Blackbeauty would chime in with a picture.
Now ask for the picture with a foot of snow on it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts