Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is my DIY attempt at installing bike mounts using the bakflip.

At first i didn't want drill into the bakflip, but all the other options I found or thought of i wasn't happy with.

REF.:
1. http://www.titantalk.com/forums/tit...ss-than-30-a.html?highlight=bike+rack+bakflip

2. http://www.titantalk.com/forums/tit...bakflip-bike.html?highlight=bike+rack+bakflip

For review - My Configuration:
3. http://www.titantalk.com/forums/tit...-2x8-bed-divider-my-thanksgiving-mod-lol.html

4. http://www.titantalk.com/forums/tit...8-bakflip-install-factory-drop-bed-liner.html

START:
Well first while i was visiting Seattle on company business i had a lot of time to scour local bike shops.

I found these mounts that had a hole prevision for a pad lock. They were $17.99 which seemed quite reasonable compared to others ive seen so I hauled them back to TX in my luggage.

Delta Bike Hitch/Mount:

I then went to homedepot and purchased hex head #10 sheet metal self taping screws. I only found 3/4 inch length so I also purchased a little baggy of #10 washers and used 2 washers under the head!!!

- This was crucial as I didn't want to drill through to the opposite side!!!!

If i had more time, i would have hit up a faster store and probably sourced some 1/2" length self tapping sheet metal screws.......

MOUNTED:

As you can see, I mounted it FWD of the cable pull track area......FWD being when the bak flip is opened "double fold"...if that makes sense...???

Also, keep in mind if you have mtn bike disc brakes as my brother in laws bike MUST be mounted on the Passenger side of the truck so that the disc brake caliper doesnt come in contact with the surrounding bakflip structure..

Mountain Bike mounted up:
Here she is mounted:

If you reviewed my link #3 above you can see with my DIY bed divider I then started using Egg crates for everything in the back of my truck! So it sized out perfectly to where the rear tire lands on the egg crate edge.

Rear tire:

Tail gate closes with plenty of room...

Hanging when stored:

The end............

hope everyone likes it......:hahafu:

-J

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
Nice! I've thought about installing a couple of these bike mounts right behind the cab. I hate having all our MTB's tossed in a big pile in the bed! :)

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Due to switching out the front fork and going disc brake front, i had to have my local machine shop guy fab me up these mounts to raise the bike mount so that the disc brake caliper wouldnt hit the bakflip structure:

Mounts:

Installed:

-J

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
This is Great, Thanks for sharing. I have a Yakima Bike Hitch. It's great and sturdy but PITA to load up for a short ride. Now this gives me another option. Thanks!!

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
WOW!!! Nice custom fork mounts!!! :coolsmile

I ride "Kamikaze" w/ NO front brake! LOL :eyebrow:

I've been wanting to fab up a bed mount for my MTB also! :)

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
i put 2 thule mounts on my tailgate because i couldnt bring myself to drill into my bakflip lol. it works pretty nice on the tailgate. i might fab up a bar thats removable that i can mount the bike mounts on

Reactions: gweasel77

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I mounted 3 mounts to a piece of aluminum square tubing and then used some "L" brackets to mount it to my utilitrac. The piece of aluminum goes on top of the bedsides right by the tailgate. Then I have two bike mounts directly mounted to the cab side of the utilitrac using those speed nuts. So I can fit 5 bikes in my bed with plenty of room for stuff under that aluminum bar.

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
A 5 MTB rack!!! :coolsmile

I wanna see! :redblob"

I need to make some sort of mount for mine!

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
this is my set up right now

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
A 5 MTB rack!!!
You could probably fit 6+ fairly easy by mounting the bikes sideways, alternating directions. I am riding CF road bikes so I don't like the idea of mounting them sideways with all the stress on the front fork.

Obviously it is easier with utilitrac since you can just bolt the mounts to speed nuts, but the bar I made fit my previous chevy truck and my buddy's Titan without a utilitrac by using drywall anchors and the rectangle holes on top of the bedsides.

I'll get a pic tonight when I get home.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Jasontamu- not trying to steal your thread. Just thought I would throw it out there for people without a bed cover. I actually didn't buy a used one I found because I wasn't sure how I would mount my bikes...now I regret that decision. haha. That mount is sweet. Does he make anything else? Something to mount front tires in the bed?

I didn't get home until after dark so the pictures aren't great but here they are:

I have three mounts on the aluminum bar. There are holes to use drywall anchors on the ends (fits Titans without utilitrac and Chevys) and then the brackets mount to speed nuts in the track. I put some rubber "chair" pads on the bar where it sits on the bedsides to keep it from scratching and to give it some cushion when tightening it down with the drywall anchors.

Then I mount two more bike mounts on the cab side alternating directions with the aluminum rack. You can see a speed nut still there on the right side. Some bike mounts require a washer in between the mount and the track because the mounting holes are not in the middle and cause the mount to slip into the track.

And yes, the rack is bedlined.

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
Pretty slick rack!

Thanks for the pics! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts