Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving home lastnight from work with no issues the whole way home. As i pulled into my neighborhood, I was making a low speed right hand turn (10-15 MPH) while braking, and it felt like i hit something in the road. Good loud front end bang/clunk, and the truck lurched like i mashed the brakes for a split second. I pulled over to see what i hit, and nothing in the road or under the truck.

Drove around the neighborhood and couldn't make it happen again. Backed into the driveway and climbed under the truck. No visible signs of damage. Checked springs and shocks and all. Nothing out of the norm. I saw a scuff mark on my front right tire and assumed maybe i grazed the curb on the turn and forgot about the issue.

Left for work today and pulled out of the driveway no problem. Got to the corner at the end of the street and it did it again. Twice this time in a row though. Doesnt pull to a side or anything, just a loud clunk and then its fine again. I babied her to the convenience store to get some smokes and tried moving calipers around to see if one was loose or something. No play or slop in the calipers (while trying to move them by hand).

Im leaning toward it being a brake issue because it has only done it while braking, when it does it. Drove the rest of the way to work, about a half hour drive with multiple stops and starts and it didnt do it again. Got to work and put it in 4HI and everything there was smoothe except for the usual wheel hop while turning on lightly wet pavement. Went back to 2WD and parked.

Any ideas of where to start looking, or if someone had a similar ussue would be great.

2010 SE CC 4x4. 78000 miles so im out of warranty.

Donkey

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
I would check your e-brake shoes, as they have a tendency to fall apart.

I would also do a fluid change in the rear diff and see if there are any metal chunks in the bottom of the housing.

Edit, I read you post again and you said it was front end. I would check your struts, and your sway bar end links.

(I left the original post of mine above in case it ends up being in the rear end instead.)

Reactions: Phatdonkey

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is the front end, but I will check everything. Thanks for the quick response.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have a very similar issue except mine seems like it is coming from the rear end. I had this issue back in the beginning of the summer, but it went away; now its back again. I'm gunna pull the rear tires this weekend and see if the e-brake is still intact. I have a 2010 CC with just under 35k.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
To the OP, my buddy had a similar issue on his older f150. We didn't notice until the wheel was off and the truck was on jacks but found the bottom caliper bolt missing. The bottom edge of the caliper was catching on the rotor edge every now and then causing the front right wheel to lock up....it was a loud clunk and grinding noise. While it was on the ground beforehand, I grabbed the caliper and was not able to move it. I assume now due to residual brake pressure holding it in place. I'd lift you truck and take another look at that caliper.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
took today off to investigate whats wrong with her. not comfortable driving 60 miles a day with brakes that may lock up or give out on me at anytime. turns out is the e brake. the first time it happened was after I had it parked with the ebrake on. I climbed under today and checked all four corners for a loose caliper. all bolts were accounted for and tight. even torqued them to be sure. puzzled, I put the e brake on and tried to see it the truck would roll in gear. not even an inch. took the e brake off, and it wouldn't roll an inch either. haha. pushed the ebrake halfway on and kicked it to let it off. still no change. with a bit of throttle in gear I was able to get it to let loose.

I replaced the rotors and pads 2.5 years ago, and all have plenty of life left. this is the only vehicle I have today so I am gonna head to the auto store and get new shoes. is there anything else I should get while I'm there? I was told earlier in this thread that the shoes just kinda fall apart. is it just the shoes or should I get a whole kit with springs and all? I use the e brake everytime I put the boat in the water and take it out. I'm kinda rough on it and have had to adjust the cable twice due to stretch. it holds, but I want to make sure it keeps holding.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
If you're routinely backing down the boat ramp and submerging the rear axle, you might also want to get the parts to do the rear axle vent mod.

BTW, delaminating e-brake shoes is a very common problem.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Delmination of the shoes occured. Luckily it wasnt catastrophic like i have heard others have had. New shoes are in and all is right with the world again!

It was very strange that it was the rear, since it felt like it was the front. Goes to show you never really know.

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again Chadp82.

Reactions: chadp82

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Thanks again Chadp82.

No problem. Not sure why you heard the clunk in the front either, but hopefully this is the solution for it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts