Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all just bought my first but not last Titan, she is an 05 with 115K on her but looks like she was sitting in a garage the entire time. not so much as a paint chip missing on the hood!
I got a great deal on it and begged my wife to make this my dream truck, loud exaughst, air intake, chrome everywhere, new rims, nice stereo and mud tires. After I came to, from her slapping me back into reality :bangit::teeth:and kindly remiding me we have kids, I asked about at least an exaughst. She said because it was fathers day and I had been a good boy I could get one.:hat: But keep it under $600. I said OK and went online and bought a banks 48120. $515 with free shipping.
I installed it and realized I had lost my low end, I was told by the kind folks on TT that I should look into getting a CAI. I went back to Amazon again and found one for $239 and placed my order. The little woman was angry but understood. :kiss:
I installed it this last week. I regained a little of my low end but it seems something was missing. I was online tonight on TT and saw something about an ECU reset and tried it (again) as I did before. This time holy smokes!! It runs like a champ. I'm guessing I didnt do it correctly the first time.

·
Registered
17,713 Posts
You'll still have lost your low end. The banks Y-pipe is 3" the whole way through, and loses a TON of exhaust velocity. If you really want it back, buy a 2.25"-3" Flowmaster Y-pipe and have it welded in. Congrats on the truck bro! :D

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
to compensate for the loss, purchase a BDGt or better yet go with UPRev. Enjoy the new ride!

Reactions: gweasel77

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
Congrats on getting the Titan & that's a really good deal on the Banks! I also have the Banks exhaust & after installing headers i had the same loss of low end that your talking about. I swapped out the Banks 3" Y-Pipe for a Flowmaster 2.25"-3" Y-Pipe & that gave me back the low end that i desired.

If you who someone or a shop who can weld exhaust piping you could have this done for under $100. If i were you i would also get a CAI, i prefer the AEM. It has proven to be one of the best performing CAI's & quality built. To top it all off get yourself a Bullydog handheld tuner to remove the factory TQ management! :)

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
words spoken so true! lol.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow Holy crap! Thanks for all the replies!
I have the AEM CAI, I will look into doing the y pipe thing in a few weeks. Does anyone know where I can get a picture of the 2.25 y pipe installation? I think I can do it myself, I know a guy who knows a guy that has a mandrel bender (I think) and we can make one! I might have to tell the "little woman" that the dealership said that is what is causing my SES light to keep coming on and they recommend it so it doesnt ruin my "flux compasitor" she will understand....trust me.
Thanks guys! If you dont hear from me in a few days send out out a search party.

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
Here you go:

This is when i got mine installed. You'll need some 2.25" flanges & 2.25" pipe to bend. Also i suggest using the metal OEM style gaskets. They hold up way better than the cheapo ones! :)

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
You'll still have lost your low end. The banks Y-pipe is 3" the whole way through, and loses a TON of exhaust velocity. If you really want it back, buy a 2.25"-3" Flowmaster Y-pipe and have it welded in. Congrats on the truck bro! :D

We’re glad to hear that you were successful in regaining your low end power and that you’ve all figured out how important velocity is in an exhaust system for low end performance and power in general. So many people start talking about back pressure, when they should be talking about velocity. Keep up the good work guys!

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Here you go:

This is when i got mine installed. You'll need some 2.25" flanges & 2.25" pipe to bend. Also i suggest using the metal OEM style gaskets. They hold up way better than the cheapo ones! :)

Gweasel77 – Great install pictures. Thanks for sharing! Nice use of flanges so the system is still serviceable.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the info guys!
I have another issue that came up that I thought was nothing..after installing the Banks and AEM the SES light came on the next day. I dealt with it for a few days until I reset the ECU. The SES light came on a couple times since and I just reset it and assumed everything was cool. This morning I was near the "stealership" and the light came on again. I decided I have the extended Warranty and I'll stop in and have them take a peek. Well low and behold they checked and the error code was basically for a bad cat. I just bought the truck EXACTLY a month ago today.
They are trying to tell me that the banks and CAI caused it. They then proceeded to inform me it is around $1700 to fix. What?? Holy crap!!! I left the stealership and went to MY mechanic. I reset the ECU because it was running rough before I got there, I explained what thye had said and that when I reset the ECU the truck runs like a new truck for a few days until the light comes on. He told me that the computer resets itself and it will run great until the codes start telling it that something is wrong (the cat) with the truck.
The dealership says to replace the cat they have to move the engine, take off the manifolds as they are all one piece. HUH?? And replace the entire thing which will run in the neighborhood of $1700!!!! HOLY CRAP!!! I think they are blowing smoke up my a$$ and calling it sunshine!
I have seen pictures of people that have high flow cats. Does anyone know where to find them? Are they worth it? I appreciate any replys! Thanks!

Reactions: gweasel77

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
^^^they are correct - cats and manifolds are in one piece....however there are "other" options instead of OEM and just replacing them AGAIN later down the road.

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
They are trying to tell me that the banks and CAI caused it. They then proceeded to inform me it is around $1700 to fix. What??
That's BS man!!! There's no way installing a cat back & CAI is going to void your warranty! The cat was probably on its way out already & installing the mods might have put it over the edge. You bought the truck used, who are they to say that it wasn't going bad when they sold it to you, but just wasn't to the point of throwing a code yet?

I would try going to a different dealership.

Buy a set of stillen headers and call it a day.
That's exactly what i would do! If they want $1700 to fix it, i would say F that!!! Then i would buy a set of stillen LT's, a pair of Magnaflow hi-flow cat's & get Up/Rev Tuned!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looking at the stillens now...what is an uprev?

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
UpRev is the SUPERIOR engine management system. Similar to BullyDog Gt and Hypertec. Its specific to your needs and modifications of your vehicle, this is not a "canned tune" .

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts