Nissan Titan Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm having a technical issue. I have the banks monster exhaust and CAI installed on my truck 2 weeks ago. The exhaust makes a strange sound when i'm going about 40mph and about 1100 rpm. So im barely on the gas. It makes a pinging kind of sound. Almost like the engine is lugging and should down shift. The noise is even more dramatic if im going up a slight incline. It sounds like its coming from the exhaust somewhere and I dident hear it at all with the stock exhaust. Got any suggestions?

Sounds like it could be a loose baffle in the muffler. PM me your contact information and best time to call you, and I'll have someone in tech support give you a call.

Jon

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have an issue too... I have both the Banks CAI and Monster exhaust. My service engine soon light came on yesterday. When i took it to the dealership they said there multiple multiple misfires likely caused by the exhaust. It sounds hoakey to me, but does anyone else have this problem? The truck has about 5k miles. 4k of it with the exhaust. This is the first time for that code. by the way, the dealership wants to charge me since it is caused by the exhaust and not covered by the warranty. Another reason I'm not real happy with the diagnosis.

*edit* I left a message on the tech support voicemail. I hope to hear from them soon.

·
Registered
69 Posts
*edit* I left a message on the tech support voicemail. I hope to hear from them soon.

My BS alarm bell is ringing furiously, since a cat back exhaust is NOT going to cause an engine to misfire. That dealer is just trying to bail on his warranty responsibility. PM me your contact info and I'll have someone call you back if you want.

- Jon

·
Registered
8 Posts
I talked to another dealership's master mechanic, who laughed at the diagnosis. Unfortunately, the 1st dealership reset the code. I'll wait for it to trip a code again and take it to another dealership. I didn't pay the tab they tried to charge me. I gave a pice of my mind on how ridiculous the diagnosis was. I'll be sure to post again if it is diagnosed. I think it's just electrical gremlins.

*edit* Just to put anyone at ease...I love the exhaust and CAI, both from Banks. Power boost is noticeable. The sound is noticeable down the street.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I have an issue too... I have both the Banks CAI and Monster exhaust. My service engine soon light came on yesterday. When i took it to the dealership they said there multiple multiple misfires likely caused by the exhaust. It sounds hoakey to me, but does anyone else have this problem? The truck has about 5k miles. 4k of it with the exhaust. This is the first time for that code. by the way, the dealership wants to charge me since it is caused by the exhaust and not covered by the warranty. Another reason I'm not real happy with the diagnosis.

I have had The Banks Monster Exhaust for about 3 1/2 years and put on over 60K miles. I have had Zero problems, No codes No misfires.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
My BS alarm bell is ringing furiously, since a cat back exhaust is NOT going to cause an engine to misfire. That dealer is just trying to bail on his warranty responsibility. PM me your contact info and I'll have someone call you back if you want.

- Jon
JON!!!! HOW ARE YA MAN!!! i swear i knew it was you soon as i saw the pic of the titan!!! anyways, former banks owner here... maybe i'll slap a banks back on. what's the loudest most obnoxious banks muffler you guys got on the shelves i can slap on. i'm talking louder than the banks system you offer for the titan! i'm talking trophy truck loud... LOL

and are you coming out to any offroad meets again?

·
Registered
69 Posts
JON!!!! HOW ARE YA MAN!!! i swear i knew it was you soon as i saw the pic of the titan!!! anyways, former banks owner here... maybe i'll slap a banks back on. what's the loudest most obnoxious banks muffler you guys got on the shelves i can slap on. i'm talking louder than the banks system you offer for the titan! i'm talking trophy truck loud... LOL and are you coming out to any offroad meets again?

Yo Hoolie! Good to hear from you too! I'm getting the itch to go jump something, and October 25th may not come soon enough!

Maybe not such a surprise, the Titan exhaust is the loudest one we make. We test db on all, and it came out just below the legal limit. In fact...there's a test report available to anyone that gets a "fix it ticket" from an officer who thinks it's too loud!

I'm thinking the next step to pure, raging, trophy truck loudness is headers and a turbo or blower :teeth:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks for your help Jon. I'm going to Banks HQ Tuesday at 9am for a appointment to get my issue diagnose and fixed hopefully. Thanks for getting me in. I let you know how it works out.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Yo Hoolie! Good to hear from you too! I'm getting the itch to go jump something, and October 25th may not come soon enough!

Maybe not such a surprise, the Titan exhaust is the loudest one we make. We test db on all, and it came out just below the legal limit. In fact...there's a test report available to anyone that gets a "fix it ticket" from an officer who thinks it's too loud!

I'm thinking the next step to pure, raging, trophy truck loudness is headers and a turbo or blower :teeth:
as always, one with knowledgeable insight. i'm out in vegas for a few days and on the way home i'm hittin' barstow for a bit, then jumpin' on stoddard wells road to the 15 like we did last time. gotta have a lil fun before going home. so this will make up for me missing the barstow meet this month :teethmast

·
Registered
63 Posts
Well I went to Banks this morning and they couldn't figure out where the two different noises were coming from. One of the mechanics actually put duck tape on the cold air intake to see if that would fix the nasty sound coming from it when you get on the gas. And the sound coming from the exhaust they said was a heat shield touching the exhaust that they thought they fix. But that was not it. The truck still makes both sounds. Now they want me to come back next week again when one of the Banks design guys is back from vacation so he can look at it to see if it is some sort of design flaw because they had no ideas. It just sucks that I took a day of work today to try to have it fixed with no results and It will require another day yet. I really would love to have the Banks equipment work properly for me because I do like it.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts