Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 NIssan Titan SE with big tow, off road. Completely stock except 2inch leveling kit.

Everything was fine until last Monday. I went to work came out after 10hrs and the truck acted like the battery was almost dead, but did fire over. I drove it 15 minutes home let it run for another 10minutes. Next morning samething. Everytime I shut it off it acts like this when I try and restart it. I have even left it running for 3hrs while I was helping a friend move. No change.

It shows 13.4 volts as soon as it starts and runs fine. Been like this for a week and it still starts, but barely. However it won't die either. Each time it starts the guages flutter for 3 seconds then spring to thier corrct location's and all the radio and clock presets are erased like we took the battery off.

I cleaned the terminals and checked for anything drawing power and cannot find anything.

Could it just be the battery? 4yrs old this month.

I only drive 7.5 miles each each way to work.

·
Registered
17,713 Posts
My stocker lasted 04-08, 4 years. You definitely need to get a new battery, the OEM batteries suck!

·
Super Moderator
161,950 Posts
"It's always the battery." ~ BAC

The gauge flutter is a sure sign. Get a new battery. You've gotten more warning that most of us do when the battery goes tits up. I felt lucky to get two slow starts when mine gave up.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
4 years out of any battery is damn good

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I replaced mine at five years and it was still going, but if I let the radio play for like fifteen minutes with the truck off it would not start, so I figured it was about time. I think five years is pretty good for a battery.

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
3-5 is typical industry expectation. Traditional Wet Lead Cell usually goes quickly. I think it is because the path breaks open inside after corroding, so no current flow. Nothing really surprising. OEM is just a cheap battery, always has been.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I thought so, but I thought it would just die. Where I work I have access to a car and plenty of stores nearby and at Home I have access toother vehicles so I wasn't worried about letting me sit until I go away next weekend.

Is it worth it to buy a Optima or other high dollar battery or should I just get the cheapest I can find?

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
I did the Optima battery one time. It was double the cost of a wet cell Interstate. It lasted 5 years. I could have got 7-8 years out of two Interstates for slightly less money. Now for heavy off roading like dessert running, rock crawling, boat use if your constantly taking a beating in a boat a Optima is less likely to leave you stranded. Then again I have 2003 bass boat with a Interstate starting battery and it's the original, go figure. I have replaced the deep cycle batteries twice.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Get the optima and be done with it. I also like a deep cycle where you don't have to worry about discharging the battery because it won't get ruined like a conventional battery if you let it go dead.

·
Registered
385 Posts
My OEM lasted 2 years. The two other OEM batteries I've had in the household recently lasted 5 years (Ford) and 6 years (Subaru). Needless to say, I was a bit disappointed.

Replace it before it goes. I drove all over town one night looking for the bigger one that comes with the big tow pkg. Ended up at Sears 2 minutes before they closed. That was the only one in town.

·
Premium Member
46,595 Posts
Dont fight it, just replace the battery and move on

i put in a Bosch from Pep Girls, 3 yr full replacement and a 8 year sliding warranty, receipt in glove box, done...until the next time

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
+1
Most if not all batteries in parts stores and wally world are made by johnson controls and imported from mexico.
You can buy an East Penn Battery from Costco or AAA and be done and create some jobs here stateside AAA will install it free and the warranty is good. Besides also if it dies late at night, a sunday or holiday you'll have service more than likely when most parts stores and shops are closed.

Don't procrastinate if it's dying on you I see it so much (drive for AAA) and have no idea why people will procrastinate so long on a battery. You may show 13.4 volts but I bet under a load it'll take a **** and your CCA is a done deal.

For the average joe anything off the shelf is fine but if you want an optima or something hell more power to you no pun intended. with the packages you listed your truck probably has a BCI Group size 27-F, big tow and flex fuel usually run that group size others 24F.
Little smaller in dimension a bit less CCA and reserve capacity.

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
$75 EverStart @ Walmart. 3yr full warranty. It will most likely die within the 3 yrs so you get a new battery & warranty.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts