Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our trucks have a 5 year 100,000 mile warranty, the rest of Nissan is 3/36 on everything and 5/60 on the power train.
my truck is starting to crank slower so my thought is the battery is going so I called a dealer, closed because of the virus, I called another dealer open but can’t get a service writer on the phone and woman who answered said 3/36 which if it was a standard Nissan I’d agree but we have a longer term but she can’t get an answer sooo, I’d like to hear from you all, what is the coverage on our stock battery?
Figures it decides to start crapping out now during a crisis.
Hope you are all well.

Clint

·
Registered
2020 NISSAN TITAN PRO 4X
22 Posts
Good question... I looked in the manual for my 2020 P4X and seen nothing as it pertains to the battery other than the warranty on a "replacement" battery. I would assume that nissan would only cover it for 3yr/36,000 since it is a maintenance item. But I agree, we buy the trucks and pay the price for the 5yr/100,000. I am going to research more but I just assume they won't cover it for the 5-years, they may pro-rate though.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I called Nissan North America and he said embarrassingly I don’t know for certain. Bottom line is I’ll buy a new AGM battery and call it a day.

Clint

·
Registered
178 Posts
I called Nissan North America and he said embarrassingly I don’t know for certain. Bottom line is I’ll buy a new AGM battery and call it a day.

Clint
I looked thru the warranty booklet and my interpretation would be if it is not listed under what is NOT covered, then it should be covered. But I am sure they are going to want to test it and will have to fail their tester.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I looked thru the warranty booklet and my interpretation would be if it is not listed under what is NOT covered, then it should be covered. But I am sure they are going to want to test it and will have to fail their tester.
In the end it’s not worth laying up the truck to be either told it’s not covered or it’s prorated and still lay out money and get another flooded type battery. The Absorbent Glass Matte type is better.

Clint

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Generally, battery is considered a wear item like brake pads and tires. Warranty almost never cover these after 1yr or 12k miles.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I found an Autocraft AGM battery at Advance Auto for $199, I then found a coupon code online for 25% off so it went down to $150 plus tax so all in it was $161.38. It’s always been my practice to replace a battery after three winters so this is a little premature but I don’t want to get stuck so it’s all good. My first Titan had the battery fail at only 14 months old. This one is 22 months but already at 46,000 miles. Nissan batteries are not maintenance free, I never checked the fluid level in this one so it may be low.

Hope all of you and your families are safe and healthy through all that’s going on.

Clint

·
Registered
376 Posts
I will look this up, but I believe it is 100% covered for 24 months, and then pro-rated for the balance. This came up a few months ago and I looked it up. Will update shortly.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Also see post # 9 in the linked thread. I have the battery you are considering in my Z3, and it is still going strong. I think you meant Advance, and not AZ in your post above.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also see post # 9 in the linked thread. I have the battery you are considering in my Z3, and it is still going strong. I think you meant Advance, and not AZ in your post above.
Good catch on my mistake, thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bought and installed the battery and it again starts just like it should, nice and quickly. All is perfect again in my world.

Clint

·
Registered
139 Posts
My battery seemed weak for the last few months as well and I was going to replace it. I thought I’d try what has worked for me in the past: I put my desulfurization box on it plugged into a battery tender and left it for 2 days. That was a couple of weeks ago and it’s been great since. I got 9 years out of the chassis battery on my motorhome by doing this every spring. We’ll see how it holds up.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My battery seemed weak for the last few months as well and I was going to replace it. I thought I’d try what has worked for me in the past: I put my desulfurization box on it plugged into a battery tender and left it for 2 days. That was a couple of weeks ago and it’s been great since. I got 9 years out of the chassis battery on my motorhome by doing this every spring. We’ll see how it holds up.
I didn’t think to try that but I do have the Challenger on a battery tender for 8 years now and it starts right up no problem. It’s probably wise if I change it this car cruise season. Sulfation does kill a battery but it’s usually only those that sit like motorcycles, motor homes and collector cars.
Nissan OEM batteries are a bit lacking I’d say.

Clint

·
Registered
830 Posts
I used to have to replace the battery on my riding mower every year...

Three years ago I started using a battery tender after each use and left it connected over the winter... Still have same three year old battery in service...

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
I used to have to replace the battery on my riding mower every year...

Three years ago I started using a battery tender after each use and left it connected over the winter... Still have same three year old battery in service...
I've heard lead acid batteries allowed to get below 1/2 their charge are never the same, much weaker and less ability to handle not being charged. I've been using the same battery in my riding lawnmower for at least 6 or 7yrs, and we bought it used? It sits in a shed all winter. IMHO putting it on charge after every use is overkill. I believe all you need to do is put it on the battery tender during the 4-6 months of winter non-use you'll be fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good question... I looked in the manual for my 2020 P4X and seen nothing as it pertains to the battery other than the warranty on a "replacement" battery. I would assume that nissan would only cover it for 3yr/36,000 since it is a maintenance item. But I agree, we buy the trucks and pay the price for the 5yr/100,000. I am going to research more but I just assume they won't cover it for the 5-years, they may pro-rate though.
The battery is,in fact, a maintenance item. The warranty is a pro-rated 3/36 with failures in the first 12 months covered at 100%.

·
Registered
376 Posts
See post # 9 above for warranty details on a 2018 Titan, at least. There is detailed information in the 2018 manual.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Based on that it would have been a free replacement but it was easier with no hassle just buying the replacement battery and now it’s an AGM style as a bonus. It’s really sad that many of us have little or no confidence with dealer service. It’s usually the same routine everywhere, they write it up, take forever to get to it and mostly all the time say they couldn’t replicate the issue and send you out the door. Why oh why would it be there if it wasn’t doing what the work order says?

Clint

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Question I bought a used 2012 two years ago. Yesterday I moved it to load some old shrubs I tore out and had the hazards on for about 20 minutes. When I went to start the truck the battery was dead. Not completely but enough to not crank at all. So after jumping it I moved it and today took the cover off the battery to get the code. It is an Interstate battery and the code on it say H61AB. Would I be correct in this battery being from 9/10/2011. If so I would think it’s a reconditioned battery or was an old battery reconditioned maybe that was put in my truck before I bought it. Either way I would think I need a new battery ASAP. I see you talking about the AGM batteries. I live in the northeast and some winter mornings my truck won’t start by the remote so I want the best CCA battery you can get thinking that should help. What suggestions do you have or Advanced Auto has a 750 CCA battery for 159.00 plus I can get 20% off online. Any help would be great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 38 Posts