Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so im getting a BDGT from one of the other guys on TT. But i know at about 70K miles you can go to the dealership and get a factory "re-tune" essentially that is supposed to re-do all your computer stuff and give you better gas mileage and what not. My questions is should i do that before or after installing the BDGT or not even at all as the BD will do all of that and more for me... Let me know your thoughts

·
Super Moderator
160,795 Posts
I've never heard of a "factory re-tune". Perhaps you're referring to doing an ECU reset, but you can do that yourself. Unplug the battery overnight.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no its something different. It adds like 1-2 mpg and does updates and stuff. My buddy's dad is a service writer and her told us we can do that around 70k miles

·
Super Moderator
160,795 Posts
Never heard of it, and you'd think that anything that would add 1-2 mpg for these trucks would be BIG news. :dunno:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
idk maybe its just not an advertised thing i have no idea. I just know i can get it done. But either way idk if i should do that first or last or not at all with the BDGT and idk call your dealer and ask if they can do it.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
I never heard of it either.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok i guess i am the olny one that knows about it but that still doesnt help me any...

·
Premium Member
58,286 Posts
Somebody is pulling your leg. Just install the BDGT and be done with it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well im doing that either way, and as far as pulling my leg i dont see why the service writer who is also a good friends dad (both driving titan) would pull my leg... at this point im looking for useful advice not someone telling me im wrong bc they havent heard of something...

·
Super Moderator
160,795 Posts
The BDGT will remember the tune that's on the ECU when it's first plugged in as the "stock" tune, so if you're going to have the dealer do whatever it is, then do it before you install the BDGT. Though the BDGT will allow you to change some parameters such as throttle sensitivity, idle speed and WOT restriction removal, it is not a CONSULT such as the dealers have.

When you have them work their magic at the dealer, ask them what exactly it is they're doing. We'd all be curious to know.

·
Premium Member
58,286 Posts
well im doing that either way, and as far as pulling my leg i dont see why the service writer who is also a good friends dad (both driving titan) would pull my leg... at this point im looking for useful advice not someone telling me im wrong bc they havent heard of something...
I'm really interested in knowing what he does. Please let us know when you take it in.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
From my understanding they hook it back up to their system and i believe its kinda like a refresher. They update it and put it back to a more "optimal" setting say more the way it would have come stock bc as you drive your system is adapting to itself and this just cleans everything up. He added i think 2 mpg to his titan granted his is just stock right not like alot of ours that has stuff done but that shouldnt matter to much. I just dont really want to pay extra money for something that my programer already will do. Although i know that my nissan dealership is one of the top service and parts in the country i would still think that your nissan house would be able to do the same thing as well.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The BDGT will remember the tune that's on the ECU when it's first plugged in as the "stock" tune, so if you're going to have the dealer do whatever it is, then do it before you install the BDGT. Though the BDGT will allow you to change some parameters such as throttle sensitivity, idle speed and WOT restriction removal, it is not a CONSULT such as the dealers have.

When you have them work their magic at the dealer, ask them what exactly it is they're doing. We'd all be curious to know.
i will def let yall know and thanks for the comment, yours was helpful haha. But ill keep yall updated.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
From my understanding they hook it back up to their system and i believe its kinda like a refresher. They update it and put it back to a more "optimal" setting say more the way it would have come stock bc as you drive your system is adapting to itself and this just cleans everything up. He added i think 2 mpg to his titan granted his is just stock right not like alot of ours that has stuff done but that shouldnt matter to much. I just dont really want to pay extra money for something that my programer already will do. Although i know that my nissan dealership is one of the top service and parts in the country i would still think that your nissan house would be able to do the same thing as well.
That sure sounds like an ECU reset.

·
Super Moderator
160,795 Posts
'Bout the only thing it can be.

·
Registered
364 Posts
maybe in addition to a ECU reset they advance the timing 2*

my mpg improved after a 2* advance (not much but still 1-2 mpg) when that was my only mod.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Im not really to sure but ill certainly let yall guys know what it is and if its worth doing when i find out a bit more details on it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Do they not make the bdgt for a 04 Titan?

·
Super Moderator
160,795 Posts
I'm not sure, but probably not. The '04 ECU was really limited on memory, so it wouldn't surprise me if they don't.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts