Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a bulldog gt in my truck and been trying diff set ups, right now I have the 93 tune w/ performance throttle, wot restriction off and +2 timing I didn't adjust the idle just wondering watt everybody else is running and how they like it. I'm installing a dynomax bullet tomorrow and going to see if I need to adjust it more I may turn down the throttle setting because it's very quick to spin the tires on take off

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
So far, I like the 87 tune with 1 degree advance the best. Also have WOT restriction disabled and throttle sensitivity set to performance.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
87+2* w WOT removed and throttle set to extreme

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
looks like i should change over to the 87 tune, i've not tried it yet

·
Registered
889 Posts
What's your afr like with the p tune? My T likes the added fuel on the performance tune. Others have reported running rich with it. My T runs a little on the lean side with the 87 tune. Just something to consider..

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
WOT restriction off, throttle sensitivity set to performance or extreme ( I like the extreme) as far as tunes go, the 87 and 93 both perform about the same. I run the 93 +4 deg of timing and love it. The 87 +4 performed the same at the track as the 93+4.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wat does the timing advance actually do for the truck? thats the one thing im clueless on lol

·
Registered
889 Posts
Ignition timing, in a spark ignition internal combustion engine, is the process of setting the time that a spark will occur in the combustion chamber (during the compression stroke) relative to piston position and crankshaft angular velocity.

Setting the correct ignition timing is crucial in the performance of an engine. The ignition timing affects many variables including engine longevity, fuel economy, and engine power. Modern engines that are controlled by an engine control unit use a computer to control the timing throughout the engine's RPM range. Older engines that use mechanical spark distributors rely on inertia (by using rotating weights and springs) and manifold vacuum in order to set the ignition timing throughout the engine's RPM range. There are many factors that influence ignition timing. These include which type of ignition system is used, engine speed and load, which components are used in the ignition system, and the settings of the ignition system components. Usually, any major engine changes or upgrades will require a change to the ignition timing settings of the engine

Reactions: gweasel77

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'll have to say that is one of the most informative responses that someone could post allbtitan! By chance, did Wikipedia give you any help? lol. jk. Great info regardless.

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Basically advancing the timing gives you more power as long as your using good gas and spark nock isn't detected. I've run 87+4 with 89 fuel with no nock and I've run 93+4 with 93 gas for months with no nock. Here is how they ran at the track on a hot day. Best runs on that day below. Remember though the 87+4 was with 93 gas.

93+1 14.55

93+2 14.53

93+3 14.56

93+4 14.41, 14.44, 14.42

87+4 14.46, 14.48

·
Registered
240 Posts
I used to run 93 +2 but ran super rich at WOT. Currently running 87 +3 with a little bit better AFR it's just as quick at the track. WOT restriction off, throttle on extreme.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I set mine to 87 and +2 performance throttle setting and going to run it for a while

·
Registered
889 Posts
I'll have to say that is one of the most informative responses that someone could post allbtitan! By chance, did Wikipedia give you any help? lol. jk. Great info regardless.
lol....I didnt feel like typing all that in my own words so cut and paste is the way to go.

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
I used to run 93 +2 but ran super rich at WOT. Currently running 87 +3 with a little bit better AFR it's just as quick at the track. WOT restriction off, throttle on extreme.
Have you compared the 93 tune vs the 87 tune on the same day? When I did it they ran the same. Although it was the 93+4 vs the 87+4 using 93 gas.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Have you compared the 93 tune vs the 87 tune on the same day? When I did it they ran the same. Although it was the 93+4 vs the 87+4 using 93 gas.
Yes and no, I also had a 93 in the tank on the 87 tune and ran identical times.

But my personal best is a tenth quicker with the 87 tune. It's not consistent conditions though. Truck was 3" lower, 3" smaller diameter tires and about 20 degrees hotter.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Using 93 on all the tunes is not a bad idea either. Just helps eliminate any chance of spark knock due to increase on timing.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I can run +4 on 87 and there is no ping at all, but I just feel safer at +2. I think that mine was "retarded" from the factory, lol.

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
I can run +4 on 87 and there is no ping at all, but I just feel safer at +2. I think that mine was "retarded" from the factory, lol.
Yea I've run the 87+4 for weeks with no ping-ing, but I run 89 because it makes me feel better. I'd run 87+2 with 87 gas but not 87+4 with 87. I have a hard time not running the 87 tune just because the AFR with it is mid 12's all the time.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'll jump in here with a few questions. I just purchased a BDGT for my truck and I was wondering if there's anything a newbie should know?

I always run 89 octane gas from either Chevron or Shell.

As far as what settings I am going to run I am at a loss. I figured I'll be running the 87 tune but in regards to timing and WOT removal I am unsure. I'm a bit wary of doing anything that could possibly be hard or damage my truck (she is my baby haha!). I just want to get a bit of a kick in the pants to her and complete the upgrade trifecta of AEM Intake and Banks cat back.

I've read countless topics on the tuner and figured I'd ask a kind of catch all question. Thanks for any info you guys can share!

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'll jump in here with a few questions. I just purchased a BDGT for my truck and I was wondering if there's anything a newbie should know?

I always run 89 octane gas from either Chevron or Shell.

As far as what settings I am going to run I am at a loss. I figured I'll be running the 87 tune but in regards to timing and WOT removal I am unsure. I'm a bit wary of doing anything that could possibly be hard or damage my truck (she is my baby haha!). I just want to get a bit of a kick in the pants to her and complete the upgrade trifecta of AEM Intake and Banks cat back.

I've read countless topics on the tuner and figured I'd ask a kind of catch all question. Thanks for any info you guys can share!

As long as your AFR's are in a safe range you can I would run no more that +2 timing on the 89 tune. Chevron has the highest tier gas IIRC. Just mess with the throttle sensitivity that you like. I put it on extreme and I like it, but when I'm drunk and my g/f is driving it's pretty annoying, lol. Take the WOT off and bump up the timing and you will love it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts