Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently heard about beard oil. I have never been able to grow that well of a beard, the left side of my face grows thicker than my right. What does beard oil do, and does it work?

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
The beard's great in the winter.. During the summer it's a PITA to keep knocked down...and grows in like bailing wire. Wish i was more accurate with a weed wacker.

Best I could imagine without a lot of pointless research.. is that beard oil would be a styling product that makes the whiskers shiny... cause who would see the zits it'd cause underneath the face fur anyway.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
A lot of people who use beard oil dont like it, that is if you're trying to use it to grow more facial hair. A lot of the products smell disgusting and puts a film on your beard. I can grow a decent beard but wanted it to be thicker so first I tried beard oil which gave no help to growing a beard just made me smell bad. So i tried minoxodil which is the stuff that is in rogaine that is supposed to support hair growth. I tried the normal stuff and extra strength. With both products I found I actually started thinning out my hair more than growing it. With the extra strength my face was always really irritated. I guess it all really comes down to genetics unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
yeah, seems to me to be along the lines of traditional snake oil

·
Registered
202 Posts
My hipster kid uses beard oil and beard balm. He says its for grooming it with a comb and makes it softer and a bit shiny and smells "good". My beards turned 1/2 grey from marriage.

·
Premium Member
15,572 Posts
beard oil is not going to help it grow.

there are 3 main products. oil, wax, and balm.

oil is just that. oil softens the hair, kinda like a conditioner.
wax is just that as well, it is bee's wax and softens the hair and makes it lay down. used to sculpt or style. kinda like hair gel or mouse. can also be used to give the look of a little more fill.
balm is wax with the oil mixed in. gives you a little of both.

use oil if you want soft, use wax if its unruly, use balm for both.

i used honest amish unscented. it was nice, but the wax doesnt smell all that good. id go with a light scent next time.

·
Registered
21,015 Posts
Lift weights and eat bacon. It'll grow in :lol:

Coming from someone who had a Joe Dirt thing going on after a month of leave.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
If I had a beard id use beard butter.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had just never heard of it before and had no idea what it did. If I was committed enough im sure the one side would grow in eventually but meh i'll just keep it short to where it looks even lol

·
Premium Member
2,668 Posts
Shave it off. Repeatedly. For few months. Then stop shaving. The constant shaving will usually make it come back thicker. My beard was patchy at first when I was 20 and that was the advice my father gave me. Now I got a good full beard that I have to keep trimmed cuz it's so hot. It didn't take but around 4-6 months of that constant shaving for it to quit being patchy. I'm almost 27 now and I've had the beard for over 6 years now.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Shave it off. Repeatedly. For few months. Then stop shaving. The constant shaving will usually make it come back thicker. My beard was patchy at first when I was 20 and that was the advice my father gave me. Now I got a good full beard that I have to keep trimmed cuz it's so hot. It didn't take but around 4-6 months of that constant shaving for it to quit being patchy. I'm almost 27 now and I've had the beard for over 6 years now.
That means looking 16 again and Im not sure Im ok with that lol

·
Premium Member
2,668 Posts
Lol. I had that same problem. If your able to grow a goatee good then shave just the sides and keep the goatee. That way you won't look so young and have the aggravating problem of jailbait trying to mess with you.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I use beard oil and balm on mine. The oil tends to condition the beard and the skin underneath as it has a tendency to dry out and produce a lot of dandruff or mine does at least The balm simply calms down the hairs and keeps it more manageable. I use Mountaineer Brand oil and balm both in the "Timber" fragrance. Both have a nice earthy pine forest scent.

Mountaineer Brand - Beard Care Products | Beard Oils | Moustache Wax

Attachments

·
Registered
284 Posts
You want to grow your beard? Eat healthy, drink lots of water and get in shape.

One of the biggest things (besides genetics) to help beard growth is a healthy diet and a healthy body.

In regards to the beard oil, its might as well be snake oil. Someone said it earlier in the thread - balm helps soften and keep it under control, wax just keeps it under control. Common belief out there is that jojoba oil and tea tree oils help with the overall health and strength of the beard too.

Daily I use a leave in conditioner - [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Particular-Man-Conditioner-Continual-Moisturizing/dp/B0018H3LAK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1435161783&sr=8-1&keywords=particular+man[/ame] as well as a moisturizing oil (that contains jojoba oil) - Amazon.com : Palmer's Formula Moisturizing Gel Oil, Cocoa Butter, 7.0 Fluid Ounce : Body Gels And Creams : Beauty

I will say, one thing I avoid is the $25 hipster oils that are the size of an eyedropper - 90% of them are scams or just marked up 500%

Been growing my beard for 2 years now

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,551 Posts
^^^Would that be the infamous Folsom Lake Dam in this pic? BTW, what level is it at currently? Last year, I drove my truck down into it...pretty cool.^^^

1 - 20 of 27 Posts