Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.. I'm new to this whole towing/hauling thing..

But if I was to get one of these bed campers, simular to the picture below.. will the Titan handle it?? I think the max bed payload is 1500lbs? But these thigns weigh in the mid 2k range right? I'll probably be buying a used one (nice, I have standards) to live in for a few months..but clearly I need to make sure the Titan could handle such bed weight. Or else I need to find a different living situation! I really like this option so I can tow my Bronco behind the Titan on a trailer.. can't drive two trucks at once lol

·
Registered
314 Posts
you will be ok if you get air bags for the rear and maybe some bilstein 5100's up front to handle the extra weight.. wont have a problem driving around with it.. my buddy has one on his F 250 and he needed bags too.. just a little extra body roll around the turns. hope it works out for you.

·
Premium Member
69,811 Posts
Yeah, it'll be top heavy for sure...

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well top heavy is no good.. I'll be going up utlitiy trails in the mountains. I thought this would be an easier solution than a trailer to tow

·
Registered
385 Posts
For something like that (2000+ lbs) I would opt for at least a 3/4 ton. Dual rear wheels would be a benefit with a slide in camper, especially for stability. If you can find something under 1500 lbs, a 1/2 ton would probably handle it OK.

What model of Titan do you have, CC or KC? You would probably need at least a 6.5 ft bed.

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 04 King Cab. 6.5ft bed I beleive. I'm not going to go out and buy a 3/4 truck. I think I've landed a contract job on the western slop working for my dad, and between 30-40 an hour with OT that's not a bad gig. Problem is there are 15 different sites all through the state of CO in the mountain areas so I can't just get an apartment for 6 months. It'll be hotel living, or camping.. It's grunt work but it'll pay off, plus it's pretty much camping! Top of mountains working on towers, amazing views and I'll have a great tan for when I head back home after 5/6 months!

·
Registered
13,026 Posts
I would just get a trailer. Having that thing weighing at 2500 like you said plus gas and your weight and all your supplies, and then the tounge weight of the trailer. Your Titan cant handle it. Just get a camper to tow and maybe leave the Bronco at your dads place for now.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
This has come several times before...

Slide in campers are heavy, and top heavy which makes them very unsuited for most 1/2 ton trucks including the Titan.
There have been a few "Pop-up" slide in campers, but I don't think they make them any more....

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Everything is still pointing to moving to FL 2nd week of March. This is just a contract job for 5/6 months working on towers you find on the top of big mountains. I think there is 15 of them total.

Thing with the trailer is I'm not sure if the trailer will make it up the utlitiy trails in the mountains. I'm sure though I'll try it with a tow behind camper and if I can't get the trailer up to the site, I'll just park at the bottom of the mountain I guess LOL. My dad was out here to do a survey half a year ago to place a bid for this job and said that a lot of these trails take an hour sometimes two hours just to get from the road at the bottom, up to the site at the top of the mountain. ....which I must say I'm pretty excited. I get to camp out for the summer months in beautiful CO, and I may be getting a Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 pickup, AND I get to travel up and down these utlity trails which is pretty much a lil offroad trip itself!

·
Premium Member
20,444 Posts
Ditto on the trailer thing - good idea if you can get a small one that can go up well developed trails. If you get a slide in camper then you have completely used up any trailering tongue weight and those things are top heavy. There is a popup version you can get that would help with the top heavy issue.

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I'm looking at getting a camper to tow. Nothing too big. Just one that has a bathroom, sink, mini fridge/cooler, table and a comfortable area for me to sleep as I'm 6'4. I think I may buy one real soon, then remodel it and make it real nice inside!

·
Registered
564 Posts
I know things in Colorado have changed since I moved but I hope the Western Slope really isn't the Western Slop.

Anyway, when I was in high school (many, many moons ago), we had a Chevy 1/2 ton with a camper shell on it. It slept 4 easily and except for some roll and sway when 4 wheeling, it carried the shell without an issue.

My guess was it was under 1500 pounds but since I was a kid, I can't tell you much about it except the inside was white with brown cushions.

Check out LanceCamper.com for more information. They have a couple which are under the 1500# limit.

·
Registered
10,960 Posts

you may want to look in to a Jayco Baja Its a heavy duty pull behind pop up that will have more than enough clearance for you.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I think twistedfreedom's idea is perfect for you. Its small, lightweight, and has plenty of clearance.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I had 30, 75 pound, bails of hay in the back of my 05 kc and I was towing a 5000 pound horse trailer at the same time. It was only a 10 mile drive but the titan was really weighed down and I wouldn't have wanted to go farther than that (I thought I was going to break a leaf spring cause they were really sqeaking getting the truck/trailer from the barn to the road). So with that much weight in the bed and a bronco on a trailer you couldn't handle it in the mountains but you might be able to do it if you use one of those trailers where only the front wheels of the car getting towed is off the ground, and there isn't much tounge weight on the T. But I would strongly recommend doing something else. And what happened to Florida Adam?

·
Registered
542 Posts
1 - 20 of 39 Posts