Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's what I'm looking to do to my 2010 SE Crew Cab:

Put LED strip in the bed for light under the tonneau cover.

And use a waterproof switch adhered up under the utili-trac

I'm open to suggestions.

I'm thinking about tapping into the bed power port since it isn't switched, for constant power.
Now, here's where things get fuzzy. After many searches here and elsewhere, I can't come across a good answer.
With tapping into the bed port, which is 12v, to power LED's that are 12v, is a fuse and/or a relay needed?
I've figured out the amperage to be 3A.
It seems that nobody has done it this way exactly. Is there a reason I haven't come by yet?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

P.S. I'll add some links after I get my post count up some more. This is my first non-introduction post.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
I've been meaning to wire mine to the outlet, but am too lazy. An in-line fuse wouldn't hurt, but since the outlet is already fused it's not really required. Right now mine are wired to the cargo lights.

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
I ran a hot wire off my battery to my LEDs, that way I have power to them whenever I need them (no power port in the back of mine). It is a fused hot wire, but no relay.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured a fuse wouldn't hurt, just wasn't sure if it was needed. One of these days when I have some time and the weather cooperates, I'll figure out the best way to get behind the port. I may have to drill out the rivets. That's OK, any excuse to get the rivet gun out is a good excuse.

Steve

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got some of the led "rope" lighting with 3m double sided sticky tape on it, and stuck it to the bottom of the utilitrak, then hard wired it directly to the bed light at the tail light. That way they are on whenever the cargo lights are on, works awesome!

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
I got some of the led "rope" lighting with 3m double sided sticky tape on it, and stuck it to the bottom of the utilitrak, then hard wired it directly to the bed light at the tail light. That way they are on whenever the cargo lights are on, works awesome!
Have you had any issues of your remote not unlocking/locking the truck with this setup? I still have them wired to my cargo lights, but now on a switch. I can unlock the truck once from like 200 feet, but then can't again while the cargo lights are on. Soon as they go off I can unlock again from distance. If you don't have this issue, did you solder your wires in?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Have you had any issues of your remote not unlocking/locking the truck with this setup? I still have them wired to my cargo lights, but now on a switch. I can unlock the truck once from like 200 feet, but then can't again while the cargo lights are on. Soon as they go off I can unlock again from distance. If you don't have this issue, did you solder your wires in?
I haven't noticed any issues with remote lock or unlock due to the bed lights. Yes, I soldered and heat shrunk my wires at the drivers rear tail light harness, between the clip on the tail light and the bulb for the factory bed light.

EDIT:

I have to let you know LaxDfns15 I got the idea from you, your pictures in the other bed light thread made it click for me so I ended up doing basically the same thing as you.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Yeah I really like mine, especially on the switch now, but I just used the crappy 3M splicers. I'll have to go back and solder when I'm not lazy and hopefully that fixes it. Just hoping it's a poor connection causing interference.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Anybody rig up some sort of pressure switch so the lights come on when the tailgate is down, and go off when it's up? I'm always afraid of leaving a switch on and draining the battery. And I thought about connecting to the cargo lights, but then I have the same problem I have now with the cargo lights - sometimes I want them on longer than the timer allows and it's a pain to keep opening and shutting doors and turning the key on/off to get them to cycle back to a longer timer.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
You could probably do a pressure switch like a fridge or something. Do you not have a cargo light button to the left of your steering wheel? Whenever I need to have them on longer than a couple seconds I just flip that switch.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
I do have that switch, but it, too, has a timer on it.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts