Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

So I would like to paint my step bars (factory) with bed liner (Dupli-color?)
Should I remove the plastic end caps and step covers? Are they easy to remove? Or shoul I just paint over them too?

Planning on coating my fender flares too.

What would be the best coating to use also?

Sorry for all the questions :ftard: Just want to do it right.

TIA,
Fredy

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
You don't need to remove the plastic covers. It will actually give you more grip on the pads. Do not use the Dupli-color. Get the Rustoleum!!!! (you can get it from wal-mart).

·
Premium Member
7,675 Posts
I did my westins and I just sprayed over the plastic. I used rustoleum it seems to hold up better than the duplicrap lol

Sent from my samsung fascinate using the auto guide app

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How is the finish on the Rustoleum, glossy/flat? Will it hold up to crappy salty NJ winters?

Fredy

·
Premium Member
7,675 Posts
Its kinda a satin finish and as far as it holding up idk mine didnt do the best but I drive on alot of crappy oil field roads and plan on respraying them when it warms up

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
Its kinda a satin finish and as far as it holding up idk mine didnt do the best but I drive on alot of crappy oil field roads and plan on respraying them when it warms up

Oh come on, the roads aren't that crappy around here!! JK, there actually horrible! Here's a pic of mine, just did them 2 weeks ago with rustoleum. painted the endcaps but taped around the rubber pads

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh come on, the roads aren't that crappy around here!! JK, there actually horrible! Here's a pic of mine, just did them 2 weeks ago with rustoleum. painted the endcaps but taped around the rubber pads
They look good! Thanks for the pics.

Fredy

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
Well heres what my truck looks like

Yeah those roads out there are pretty shi$%y right now, and going to get worse, at least it LOOKS like your having fun! Just think in a couple months they'll be dryer than a bone, kicking up mile long dust clouds.

·
Premium Member
7,675 Posts
I can only hope that way I dont gotta keep pulling trucks out of the ditch.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Hello,

So I would like to paint my step bars (factory) with bed liner (Dupli-color?)
Should I remove the plastic end caps and step covers? Are they easy to remove? Or shoul I just paint over them too?

Planning on coating my fender flares too.

What would be the best coating to use also?

Sorry for all the questions :ftard: Just want to do it right.

TIA,
Fredy
I asked the same question a few weeks ago and got the same answers. I want to do it but only if I can remove the end caps and step pads. So far no one has chimed in to say if it's even possible to remove them without F'ing them up.

·
Premium Member
37,152 Posts
I asked the same question a few weeks ago and got the same answers. I want to do it but only if I can remove the end caps and step pads. So far no one has chimed in to say if it's even possible to remove them without F'ing them up.
Painters tape. Take it off immediately after spraying your last coat of bedliner. Wait about 20 seconds between coats.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know you can buy replacement pads and caps. The concern I have is that they might not fit after the bars are coated? I would imagine the thicknes of the bed liner would prohibit the pads to clip back in?

I never thought Rustoleum would be better than Dupli-color?

Fredy

·
Registered
686 Posts
No matter how good you are with that painters tape, your still going to have a less than perfect line where the bedliner meets the pad. I'm going to see if I can find the pads and end caps new from Nissan so I can replace them if they have to be cut off or something.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Where might the pads and caps be had?? Dealer only item I suppose??

·
Registered
686 Posts
Just so you guys know, 3M makes a bedliner spray too that is supposed to be the best of the best.

·
Premium Member
37,152 Posts
I'd be shocked if Nissan sold the pads and caps separate without making you buy a whole new step bar.

Personally, I'd just spray over them...

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
I spent quite a bit of time taping, and lined everything up really good, some of the pieces I used on the corners were less than a half an inch-just to get it right. You would have a hard time telling that it wasn't original. I pulled the tape off after the last coat. Prep work is the key

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wonder how the Rustoleum would hold up on the plastic step covers? I do use them since my truck is lifted.

Fredy

·
Premium Member
7,675 Posts
Mine seem to have held up good on the foot pads of my westin's

1 - 20 of 23 Posts