Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it looks like the bed liner (spray in) may not be as good as expected. So far, a 8" paver fell off the pallet and cracked the liner, then while loading plywood, it caught on the edged and tore a section and chipped another.

see: Nissan_titan.home.att.net

·
Registered
139 Posts
Ya well, that's gotta hurt. Sorry, I feel for you :crying:

These spray in liners have drawbacks and limitations just as the poly types do. With a poly liner you can just chuck the in the rocks and blocks but you can't tell what's going on underneath - rust, paint wearing off from vibration etc.

It's a trade off - the "spray on" would have to be 1/4+ thick and a lot tougher to match a poly liner for impact resistance

I'm now waiting for my LE KC and my intention is to get a rubber deck cover/mat. You may want to look into that.

How to fix that damage ? Look on the web or go see a "spray on" dealer. I can't imagine it's too difficult. Maybe just cleaning,sanding, feathering,primer and shot or two of spray liner stuff. Be good as new.

Look on the bright side- it wasn't your hood or fender!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Solution post:

This issue is known by Nissan and by PPG. They are working on a solution, but it is not available yet.

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
I would think that all that damage would be covered under the warranty. Have you talked to your dealer yet?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Is that paint I see under the chipped bedliner? When they do spray in liners isn't it supposed to be bare metal so that the liner adheres better to the metal surface?

·
Premium Member
17,123 Posts
dman said:
Is that paint I see under the chipped bedliner? When they do spray in liners isn't it supposed to be bare metal so that the liner adheres better to the metal surface?
Good point. If it is paint, maybe it will make it easier to remove the factory spray in when Nissan decides to do it right.

·
Registered
662 Posts
bestatchess said:
Good point. If it is paint, maybe it will make it easier to remove the factory spray in when Nissan decides to do it right.
I think you are onto something bestatchess...Nissan did that on purpose...they were designing for the future that they would have to replace the spray ins so they left the paint there to make it easier to redo later on.

That was my little mindfV<k for the day I guess you would say. I know it doesn't make any sense just a little insight into how my mind works...does anyone know of a good psychitrist???

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The compound that they spray with includes an eching agent. If you check my post in the general area, you will see they have found and fixed this, at the factory. The entire process had a few flaws in it which caused all kinds of problems it appears. They (Nissan & PPG) are working on a process to fix it for all of us.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts