Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife and I recently purchased a travel trailer and we are now looking for a way to haul our bikes. Adding a hitch to the trailer is out the of the question because the back bumper won't hold the weight plus it does me no good when I am not pulling the trailer. I currently have a soft tonneau cover, Truxedo Truxport, and would like the option to be able to keep that closed and have the bikes over the top. I have seen many racks attached to the hard covers but have yet to run across any pictures that show someone using a bed rack and a soft tonneau cover. I ran across this rack online but the cost is a little higher than what I want to spend. Are there other options that you guys know of? Does anyone on here have a similar setup? No matter what I want the option to leave the cover closed.

ProRac STR Soft Tonneau Cover Rack | Tonneau & Rack | Shop Now

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Get a front hitch and put the bikes in the front of your truck.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using AutoGuide App

·
Premium Member
15,688 Posts
how big is the trailer? you can get a dual receiver box hitch that will hold a bike rack above the tongue of the trailer. they have lower weight ratings, but should be ok with like a popup camper.

I dont understand why you cant put a hitch on the back of the camper and use a bike carrier. if your not pulling the trailer you can just put the bike carrier on the truck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a Yakima setup on top of my bed. Think I paid like 250 for the parts I needed for a base system. They make tracks that are made to bolt onto a roof or on top of a camper but I bolted them to the bed. I had a soft cover and it worked with it. If you want pictures or anything let me know.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Front hitch is not any option. Beside not liking the look, I would really like to have the versatility of having the rack in the bed to haul other items during hunting season.

Trailer is a 30' so the dual receiver box is not an option either.

blankm3690- Could you send me some pictures of your setup and maybe the part numbers if you still have them? Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Front hitch is not any option. Beside not liking the look, I would really like to have the versatility of having the rack in the bed to haul other items during hunting season.

Trailer is a 30' so the dual receiver box is not an option either.

blankm3690- Could you send me some pictures of your setup and maybe the part numbers if you still have them? Thanks
Yeah I'll send some pictures after I get out of work. I'll work on getting part numbers too.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am heading out camping so probably won't be able to look at the pics until next Monday so no real hurry on the pics. Once again thanks for the help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just got a few minutes to get some product numbers. The track comes in two sizes. What size you get is up to you but 42" should do the job.

42" track #8001126
Landing pad #8000226 (need two orders of these, each box contains two)
Cross bars of your choice. I have the 78" I believe.
The towers are #8000214

I ordered my stuff from rackattack.com and the tracks had different mounting options. There's a mount made for roofs where you can't access the bolt and then an option where it's a normal bolt. I used wall anchors because I felt the plastic on top of the bed wasn't sturdy enough so I drilled into the metal underneath and put an anchor in. Here's a link to the anchor:
Shop TOGGLER 10-pack Toggle Bolts Hollow Wall Anchors at Lowes.com

I'll send you pictures later and if you decide going this route I'll try giving better instructions.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Just got a few minutes to get some product numbers. The track comes in two sizes. What size you get is up to you but 42" should do the job.

42" track #8001126
Landing pad #8000226 (need two orders of these, each box contains two)
Cross bars of your choice. I have the 78" I believe.
The towers are #8000214

I ordered my stuff from rackattack.com and the tracks had different mounting options. There's a mount made for roofs where you can't access the bolt and then an option where it's a normal bolt. I used wall anchors because I felt the plastic on top of the bed wasn't sturdy enough so I drilled into the metal underneath and put an anchor in. Here's a link to the anchor:
Shop TOGGLER 10-pack Toggle Bolts Hollow Wall Anchors at Lowes.com

I'll send you pictures later and if you decide going this route I'll try giving better instructions.
I would love to see this too. I like the lool of the listed link above from the OP but I have a roll up cover and will not work with it. That and it's a little pricey.

·
Premium Member
4,995 Posts
Dude, that rack is awesome! I've been thinking of making something similar to that, guess I can just drop some cash and have it over with!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
how big is the trailer? you can get a dual receiver box hitch that will hold a bike rack above the tongue of the trailer. they have lower weight ratings, but should be ok with like a popup camper.

I dont understand why you cant put a hitch on the back of the camper and use a bike carrier. if your not pulling the trailer you can just put the bike carrier on the truck.
Since my camper is new, I would have to pay an RV service center to mount the hitch so the warranty would not get voided. So I would have the service cost, hitch cost and cost for the bike rack. Which I would imagine would be more than the ProRac that I had listed in the first post. Plus with the rack on the truck it would be more versatile.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts