Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rear bumper is chipped to all hell and I need to re spray it with bedliner. Is there any kind of clear coat I can use to help protect it a little better?

·
Registered
984 Posts
A few thick coats of bedliner itself has proven sufficient for me. I've prepped and coated 5-spoke SE's with a few coats of bedliner and they held up perfect for about a year.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A few thick coats of bedliner itself has proven sufficient for me. I've prepped and coated 5-spoke SE's with a few coats of bedliner and they held up perfect for about a year.
my wheels are fine, they have been bedlined for 2 years and look the same as the first day I sprayed them. Same with my bumper end caps and cowl, but mine front bumper and rear bumper (use to be chrome) I have chips from rocks.

·
Registered
795 Posts
several layers of BL do the trick. my bumper chips from time tot time and i just respray it. If you clear coat it, be careful, a few types of the clear coat give a yellowish or foggy appearance over time...

·
Registered
522 Posts
It's all about proper prep, especially when painting over chrome. When I did my bumpers and (formerly) polished SS stepbars, I used a 120-grit disc on the angle grinder, on them to thoroughly scuff and "de-chrome them, then hit them with self etching primer, then a few coats of BL. Allow proper curing time as well. I run 44 miles a day (round trip) on the highway, frequently behind gravel trucks and sand haulers, and knock wood, so far so good.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmmm alright I probably did skimp out on the sanding a little. I was thinking about using a self etching primer when re-doing it as well. Hopefully I can get around to it today, its such an eye sore looking at it right now lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts