Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This spring im doing my wheels black, but after seeing some bedlined stock wheels it's not really black, it's more of a grayish black, what kind of paint would i need to make them black with a shine? has any of you used regular black paint and had success?

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I used Krylon Satin Black spray paint on mine. Has a lil shine, but when I clean them I use armorall and they really shine!

This is right after I painted them, no clear coat.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
So far so good, it does not scratch, make sure u use primer first, about 2-3 coats each rim.. let it dry then sand if u need to, make it smooth then spray black as many times as you need to cover the whole rim. Make sure your first 2 coats of black are light coats because u can cause it to drip if you spray to much.

·
Premium Member
37,152 Posts
I did the wheels on my buddies Z about a year ago. Used the 4 coats of the Rustoleum high temp engine enamel and 3 coats of the Rustoleum high temp engine clear...they still look awesome.

·
Registered
215 Posts
You probably used Polyurethane Clear. I've done that before. Even though it sprays on glossy, it has a tendency to eat through the paint unless matched accordingly. You want an acrylic lacquer based clear-coat.

I'll be coating my wheels in POR-15 Black Velvet. Some of the strongest stuff around. :) Hell, if I could paint my entire truck in POR-15 I would.

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
whats POR-15? I need to do my wheels or take them to be powder coated for around $300

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I bedlined my front chrome bumpers and used about 2 coats of black primer then 2 coats of bedliner. For some reason, it seemed darker than the other areas that I didn't use the primer. Maybe it's light reflection or something, IDK. However, if you don't want the "rough look", you may see what it would cost for powder coating. I believe powder coat is less likely to chip.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Bedliner them and then use any satin, semi-gloss, gloss spray paint. I don't think you really need high temp stuff, but it won't hurt anything and is a little tougher.

POR-15 is some serious stuff. No way that stuff is scratching. That stuff is fairly thick and it would be pretty hard to get an even coat...Just saw they make a spray now so that might work.
Whatever you do though- DO NOT LET IT TOUCH YOUR SKIN. it is permanent...there are stories of people painting frames and then taking a leak - not good. j

I like the grayish hint to it - matches the smoke color perfectly...but for black it makes sense to recoat for a darker black.

Sean

·
Registered
264 Posts
I did the wheels on my buddies Z about a year ago. Used the 4 coats of the Rustoleum high temp engine enamel and 3 coats of the Rustoleum high temp engine clear...they still look awesome.
What kinda prep work did you do? I wouldn't mind doing this as well. But would also like to go back to stcok look if needed. Pc'ing up here is waaaaay to expensive for me right now and I am thinking that my current set up will be my winter set once I get some 22"/24" shoes!

·
Premium Member
37,152 Posts
What kinda prep work did you do? I wouldn't mind doing this as well. But would also like to go back to stcok look if needed. Pc'ing up here is waaaaay to expensive for me right now and I am thinking that my current set up will be my winter set once I get some 22"/24" shoes!
I just used a light grit sandpaper and cleaned with Windex.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
looks great LAZIEGUY247. you gonna do the door handles and mirrors? might as well do the grill.
Thanks, I no longer have the grille, I sold it and I have the stock chrome grille back on. I will be painting the stock grille white and painting the chrome part of my bottom bumper black.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts