Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:crying: :crying: MY SPREAD IN BEDLINER HAS BLISTERED ON THE D/S BOX WALL, HAS ANYONES ELSES DONE THE SAME? I WONDER HOW NISSAN WILL FIX?

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
I was wondering if this problem would come up. As I have mentioned before in previous posts, my nephew works at a truck accessory place and told me that there is a squabble between Nissan and Line-X (the product that is used as the Titan Spray-in ) over how thick the liner should be sprayed. Line-X wants it to be sprayed thicker to make more money of course and Nissan wants it sprayed thinner to cut costs. Supposedly there is talk that Line-X might back out of the deal with Nissan after their contract is up. Anyway, I am curious how Nissan will repair it being as car dealerships are not in the business of spraying in bedliners. My guess is that they will send it out to a Line-X affiliated place for the work. Keep us posted so that the rest of us will know what the deal is if we have a similar problem.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I hate to hear this as I also have the sprayed in liner. Please let me know how things work out. Bayou Titan thanks for the input. I also have a problem with the QA and welding on my truck. I went down today to the dealer to show them the problem. I will see the shop manger next week and they will get hold of the regional manager also. Will post a new thread and pictures on what I have. Makes me kind of worried to spend this kind of money on a truck and things like this are popping up. But I will say this I love this truck, the power, the ride, the inside and almost everything else. It is bad weather here so have not been able to clean the outside and get pictures yet. The weld issue is a real problem to me and I can get those taken in the garage. :crying:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I noticed on mine today that in the middle of the bed floor, between the utili-track rails, my bedliner is "loose"...baiscally not bound to the metal under it. I assume this is not normal? It does not seem lake a major issue but how does this happen and should I have it fixed?

·
Registered
514 Posts
If it won't be covered under warrenty, just put a good coat of herculiner on it... I've had better results with herculiner (roll-on DIY) than spray on applications.

·
Registered
57 Posts
After doing some on-line research I found that the bed-liner is warranted by Nissan...as it should be I suppose. It is developed by PPG so I am not sure it is a Line-x product, I could be wrong though. I scheduled an appointment to get it looked at during my first oil change next week...I'll keep you posted on how they handle it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bedliner

:boxing: LET THE GAMES BEGIN... I'VE GONE TO THE DEALER TODAY & SHOWED THEM THE PROBLEM. FIRST THING THEY TELL ME IS THAT IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN CAUGHT ON PDI. ITOLD THEM IT WASN'T THERE WHEN I TOOK DELIEVERY BLA BLA BLA... ANYWAYS AREA REP WANTS TO SEE TRUCK FOR HIMSELF. SERVICE MANAGER WAS ALSO TOLD TO GO LOOK AT ANOTHER TITAN TO SEE IF WAS THE SAME????? I HOPE THEY DON'T THINK THIS IS NORMAL I'LL KEEP YOU POSTED.

·
Registered
359 Posts
TITAN04, do you live in a section of the country where it's still very cold? I was just wondering if the temperature might effect the bonding of the spray-in liner, especially since it is such a thin application...seems like Nissan should have monitored the test trucks thoroughly for such problems, since the factory spray-in liner has been such a highly touted selling point...I hope you get a satisfactory resolution to this, and this problem isn't widespread... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have an appointment for mine tomorrow morning. Mine has a 2x3 foot section in the bed that is not bound to the metal underneath. It is noticable to look at even. They are going to look at it and then see what Nissan has to say on getting it fixed. It may have been that way at PDI but I would have never noticed it...never would look for a thing like that. They should still fix it reguardless. I will know more tomorrow, my dealer seems to want to make it right so far.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Go for it as I am right behind you. I am very un-happy with the QA on these trucks. :flame: During my wash job today, finally, there it was a nice scratch below the driver’s side door along with the weld problems and I haven't even looked at my liner. Kinda scared now. I love this trucks ride, power, inside etc. But the QA stinks and the worst part is most issues are going to be a real pain to fix. I am taking it in to have them look at them but then what. We will see. I have my hopes up that all of us get our issues dealt with as it is an awesome truck!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ti-tan said:
After doing some on-line research I found that the bed-liner is warranted by Nissan...as it should be I suppose. It is developed by PPG so I am not sure it is a Line-x product, I could be wrong though. I scheduled an appointment to get it looked at during my first oil change next week...I'll keep you posted on how they handle it.
I have Line-X on my Frontier, and the stuff on the Titan does not look like Line-X to me in appearance, texture, or recommended thickness.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've heard people say this is a line-x product, but I just have my doubts. Why would Nissan spend $20 million in their new facility to have the capability to use someone elses product?

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Most auto manufacturers are not in the business of making chemicals like those used in bedliners. Whether it's Line-X or some other product, I doubt Nissan actually makes the stuff.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Bayou Titan said:
Most auto manufacturers are not in the business of making chemicals like those used in bedliners. Whether it's Line-X or some other product, I doubt Nissan actually makes the stuff.
Point well taken!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well I took mine in this morning. They took pictures and made notes on the seperation. They are in contact with Nissan to determine how to fix it...they did agree it needs fixed however.

The material is developed by PPG...it is 1MM on the sides and 2MM on the bed floor. Quite thin

·
Registered
514 Posts
If it's coming up I would assume that the prep was not done properly. I did Herculiner in my Tundra and the instructions stated that prep was of the absolute most importants. (scuffing to make a rough surface, then cleaining)

So, imagine my heartbreak when I had to scuff up the entire bed on my brand new truck, then clean it with acetone... But it turned out beautiful!

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
I wonder if the Titans with the spray in bedliner had the floor part of the beds painted before the spray liner was applied and if this makes any difference.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Bayou Titan said:
I wonder if the Titans with the spray in bedliner had the floor part of the beds painted before the spray liner was applied and if this makes any difference.
This would definitely make a huge difference if this is what they did. As far as I know spray on liners should not be applied over paint as they will not adhere as well. Time will tell.

·
Registered
495 Posts
twaldron said:
I have Line-X on my Frontier, and the stuff on the Titan does not look like Line-X to me in appearance, texture, or recommended thickness.
Same here, I brought the car in yesterday for service and compared the new Line-X on my Titan with the oem on the trucks on the lot. The OEM bed liners don't have that rough texture on the surface and don't have that "metalic" look. Not sure about the thickness though.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
TITAN04 said:
:crying: :crying: MY SPREAD IN BEDLINER HAS BLISTERED ON THE D/S BOX WALL, HAS ANYONES ELSES DONE THE SAME? I WONDER HOW NISSAN WILL FIX?
Mine is flaking off a little bit, just within about 1/4 inch on the rearward side of the power socket on the driver's side wall of the bed.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts