Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally discovered what it was... as there were no previous signs.

Pulled the front skid plate to do an oil change today-- noticed on the driver side there has been a leak... which wasn't there 3K miles ago...

Looks like its a small hose (A/T), leaking at the socket where it screws into the lower part of the radiator, and leaking at the TOP of the hose where it clams onto the next portion... so on one side, its the fitting, and the other side its a cheap clamp failure...

Checked the transmission fluid, I have plenty left...

Gotta call Nissan and take it in for a quick fix...

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
Nice catch there on the tranmission line. Your title I though was about a bad smell. I was going to tell you stop farting in the truck.:evillaugh

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Energizer said:
Finally discovered what it was... as there were no previous signs.

Pulled the front skid plate to do an oil change today-- noticed on the driver side there has been a leak... which wasn't there 3K miles ago...

Looks like its a small hose (A/T), leaking at the socket where it screws into the lower part of the radiator, and leaking at the TOP of the hose where it clams onto the next portion... so on one side, its the fitting, and the other side its a cheap clamp failure...

Checked the transmission fluid, I have plenty left...

Gotta call Nissan and take it in for a quick fix...

Well that might be a leaking trans cooler line. Luckily there is a TSB on it so it should be easy to get fixed. I recall that the fix involves new clamps..

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UPDATE: they replaced the radiator... I drove home, their driver followed so I could get a ride back for my car, and as I was locking up, I decided to have a look at their work (hence why I left the skid plate off).... well, it was DUMPING ATF fluid in my driveway!!! The whole underside is covered in fluid, and its not water-- its red oily substance... Is this a quality repair!?

They took me back to the dealership to get my car, and they are sending a tow truck to get my Titan and said they will fix it today... and they were very apologetic.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
its a hose clamp failure and there is a TSB.

Same thing happens to almsot every 04-05 eventualy.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Justintoxicated said:
its a hose clamp failure and there is a TSB.

Same thing happens to almsot every 04-05 eventualy.
I know what you are referring-- it was an 04-05 TSB... and mine is an 06... yet it has old style hoses... anyway, when I was looking at the mess, I saw they left the old spring clamps on each hose. I mentioned this to the service advisor and mechanic when we were looking at the truck on the lift. He added the screw clamps... said that Nissan's warranty doesn't pay for new clamps... I mentioned I read a TSB that stated otherwise, and they were in disbelief... I said I downloaded it on the net.. in fact, I had a printout of it in the car, but cleaned out my car before I went out & about, and decided to drop in on them to see their progress... chances are its the clamps as it was ALL over the place.... they should have inspected the job prior to me picking it up.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Energizer said:
I know what you are referring-- it was an 04-05 TSB... and mine is an 06... yet it has old style hoses... anyway, when I was looking at the mess, I saw they left the old spring clamps on each hose. I mentioned this to the service advisor and mechanic when we were looking at the truck on the lift. He added the screw clamps... said that Nissan's warranty doesn't pay for new clamps... I mentioned I read a TSB that stated otherwise, and they were in disbelief... I said I downloaded it on the net.. in fact, I had a printout of it in the car, but cleaned out my car before I went out & about, and decided to drop in on them to see their progress... chances are its the clamps as it was ALL over the place.... they should have inspected the job prior to me picking it up.
Maybe someone at the shop who works there needed a new radiator and got a little carried away installing your old on in their truck, and skiped out on working on yours.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yep... they claim it was the original factory clamps... I spoke to another service advisor, and as an FYI, I informed him that I was able to find a TSB for an '05 Titan (didn't know how to get the '06 TSBs) which indicated the clamps needed to be replaced when fixing this type of leak... and I figured this could still apply to the 06...

looks like I should have it this afternoon.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
picked up my Titan... looks good.

They cleaned the engine and detailed the truck, but I detailed it myself last weekend so there wasn't much left to do...

And as an FYI-- I gave the service advisor a copy of the 2005 TSB for his records...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Dealer mechanics are Parts Changers not mechanics. A real mechanic takes pride in his work, would rather fix whats in front of him than simply order a new part. Real mechanics are few and far between, if you find one support him... it won't be too long before they're all gone, or we farm out their jobs to India.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts