Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a new tensioner, started the job and realized....wow, there's not alot of room in there. The bottom mounting bolt on the tensioner is nearly impossible to get to....and this was after I moved the alternator out of the way....

Is this a quick DIY job for most? Am I missing something? I'm fairly mechanically inclined....I have no problem rebuilding a dirtbike motor....but I quickly lose my patience when crawling underneath my T.....I didn't see alot of DIY on this topic after doing some searching...

I've been chasing a buzzing noise when under a load at 1500-1700 rpm's and decided I would try to replace the tensioner and see what happens. It almost sounds like a loose heat shield, but not so, as far as I can tell. It also slightly squeaks like a worn belt would do when cold, then goes away after a few minutes. It's worse when it's humid outside....or just rained. And, this is after adding a new belt. Not sure if these two noises are related.

Any input?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
On my 04 it was a 30min swap if that....not sure how the new motor timing covers may interfere with newer trucks. The sounds you describe is why I replaced mine after 100K along with my fan clutch. The fan clutch stakes longer by the way.

·
Registered
74 Posts
take off the shroud covering the oil filter and work from top and bottom....took me about 25 minutes.

Remove top bolt and side/middle bolt from the top of the engine bay and then get down underneath and finish the job. Remove pully from the bottom and feed the new one up into the area and start threading the bolts back on.

Also, get a long ratchet handle and bend that tensioner wheel from the bottom. much more room to pull that wheel back as you put the belt on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts