Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to keep 2wd vs selling and buying 4wheel.

I want to setup the truck as good as possible to compare to a 4wd.

Some things I may do -
Drive on beach
Drive in snow
Drive on trails that may be wet or rutted
Drive in muddy field
Tow trailer up steep wet ramp (boat ramp, dump trailer,)

No mudding (four wheeling) .

I had a hummer h2 for years and only used 4wd out of necessity in the snow, and once on the beach cause I knew I had it and picked my line Accordingly.... ie I got stuck on purpose then locked the different and got out. Anyways.....

I'm thinking this is coming down to tires and true track.

I have a new Subaru for the slopes so only snow would be if it started while I was working.

I guess the question is what would be the best 'all season' setup. Meaning, I don't want blizzacks and I don't want mud terrains.

Overall most versatile setup for a 2wd truck.

·
Registered
141 Posts
A trutrac locker is a must an good set of a/t tires. Suspension 2wds have as much to choose from as your budget will allow but I would do coilovers an upcs an good rear shocks you would be set for the most part an take off front sway bar also.

·
Registered
14,137 Posts
yup. tru trac and good tires. After that CST spindle, Dirt King Upper control arms and boxed lower control arms, 2.0 hydraulic bump stops and limit straps, DK Tie Rod ends, Icon extended travel coilovers, Deaver c10/c30 (I forget which has less lift) leaf springs with Icon rear piggy back shocks. That'll be a solid mid travel kit, with the correct valving could keep up with stock first gen raptors.

Mike at Offroad Warehouse can hook it up. Tell him I sent you :)

·
Registered
14,137 Posts
I have coilovers for sale cheap. someone buy them. lol

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
i'm 2wd and you can see my suspension mods on my Sig and like Honda stated i almost have everything except the DK LCA's. the C10's are the least lift. but you don't want to be rollin' on MT'z?

·
Registered
259 Posts
yup. tru trac and good tires. After that CST spindle, Dirt King Upper control arms and boxed lower control arms, 2.0 hydraulic bump stops and limit straps, DK Tie Rod ends, Icon extended travel coilovers, Deaver c10/c30 (I forget which has less lift) leaf springs with Icon rear piggy back shocks. That'll be a solid mid travel kit, with the correct valving could keep up with stock first gen raptors.
What Gerrit said. That'd be a hell of a setup. Start with the TT, tires, spindles and upper control arms and maybe some coilovers. The rest you can do piecemeal.

Side note.. I'm going to be moving back to PDX next year. Probably will be buying a house in the Beaverton/Aloha area.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Sell your 2WD and buy a 4WD. All those situations it's going to be very possible to get stuck even with a good mid travel kit. Gonna be dropping 8k easy on that setup.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't want a high truck, just the most capable 2wd truck in terms of traction.

It's a work truck first, a drive it when the Subaru (clearance?) won't cut it second.

·
Registered
14,137 Posts
stuff i listed can keep you at 4-6" higher then stock. thats not very high when you consider how low 2wd's sit.

4x4 has an upper hand though especially the pro4x with the e locker.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
stuff i listed can keep you at 4-6" higher then stock. thats not very high when you consider how low 2wd's sit.

4x4 has an upper hand though especially the pro4x with the e locker.

I had an H2 for six years and never once used 4wd to get un-stuck. In fact the only time I think I ever used it out of necessity was on the way to the mountain.

I'm really leaning towards keeping the 2wd at this point (though my truck is for sale on CL).

I've been reading a lot and it seems a lot of maximizing the 2wd pitfalls is tires and the Trutrac.

In terms of lift I think that I'd seek out a small lift simply because the truck sits so low in its current form. I've been looking at max front space of 2.5" and 1.5" from PRG. It leaves a little rake, which I like.

I'm curious... how will the 2wd with a Cooper ST, TOYO OC R/T type tire and TruTrac perform?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts