Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a lifted titan with 40x15.5R22 toyo open country m/t tires. I have the stillen brake upgrade in the front, but wondering what might be the best brake pad for the rear?! Suggestions appreciated!

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
I think the OEM Nissan pads are doing a pretty good. There are members here that got over 60,000 miles off the OEM pads.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
I have a lifted titan with 40x15.5R22 toyo open country m/t tires. I have the stillen brake upgrade in the front, but wondering what might be the best brake pad for the rear?! Suggestions appreciated!
I like having the fronts and backs matched - you don't want brake bias that wanders around on you under braking...

I have used and liked the Hawks in other vehicles so I have nothing bad to say about them.

But I really like the Porterfield R4S I have front & back on the Titan. I agree the backs don't do much especially without a load in the bed, but if you've got one, you'll be glad they're working ;-)

The 'modern trend' in factory brakes is hard pads and soft rotors. I don't like that trend. I don't mind changing pads and if they're still beefy at 60k mi, in my mind, that means they weren't braking as well as they couldda...

Good pads and cryo rotors is definitely the hot setup...

·
Vendor
203 Posts
Hi,

Given the fact that your truck is lifted and has larger tires (and more UN-sprung weight)it's equally important to have a premium quality brake pad, both front and rear. Maybe more so, since you're adding the additional rotating mass of larger wheels and heavier tires. You're brake bias is somewhat fixed and actually controlled by the 'proportioning valve' and ABS unit, which is tied into the ECM in your truck. Brake Bias, as it was referred to, actually applies to the brake systems on race cars and race trucks. It is adjustable in the **** pit by turning a small knob somewhere on the dash or close by. It adjusts the amount of travel through in the 'balance bar' connected to the push rods,which are attached to the brake pedal and the front and rear master cylinders. (race vehicles have a front and rear master cylinder).Turn the knob to the 'F' Front, and you get more brake bite to the Front, and vice versa, for the rears. A proportioning valve, automatically adjusts line and fluid pressure to the front and rear calipers and or wheel cylinders (Drum Brakes) on street vehicles.
You can sometimes 'fool' the proportioning valves by changing pad compounds from front to rear, there by changing the braking characteristics.
In your situation however, depending on what brand and compound the Stillen BBK came with. You could match the rear pads 'brand and compound' to the Stillen Fronts. Or if you'd like SUPERIOR Performance with less dust and more durability, go with the Hawk LTS pads, front and Rear. 1000's of satisfied customers can't be wrong.

Keith
Frozen Rotors - High Performance Brake Pads, Brake Rotors

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think the OEM Nissan pads are doing a pretty good. There are members here that got over 60,000 miles off the OEM pads.
I am at 63.5k on my factory pads and rotors, but the rotors are warped and will be upgraded. Looking at past posts to see what has been said in the past on good upgrades.

·
Vendor
203 Posts
Yes the discount is still valid. We are experiencing a software compatibility issue on the website while we update the content.
The discounts are for 10% off of 2 rotors and 1 axle set of brake pads. 15% off 4 rotors and 2 axle sets of brake pads.
In order to take advantage of these discounts, you will have to call me direct, so I can manually enter the order and apply the discount to your invoice. Apparently the discount isn't recognized at 'check out' when completing your online order.
We hope to and should have this resolved very soon.

I would recommend the 'Frozen Rotor' Slotted rotors for your truck (Front & Rear), with the Hawk LTS pads, front and rear. That is by far the most popular and effective way of solving the Titans brake issues.

I can be reached at 1-888-323-8456 M-F 8:00-5:30 CST.

If you have additional questions feel free to call or email me. Also mention your name when responding to this email, or just simply...ask for me when you call!

Sincerely,

Keith
[email protected]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts