Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

We took our trailer from Phx to San Diego this weekend. The temps were in the high 80s. On the flats and in mild climbing the tranny temp gauge stays a 1/3 or so. However on the long hills, the truck did what it always does as we start climbing towards San Diego. The tranny temp goes all the way to the 2nd mark from the top (top end of normal range). I drive this thing in 4th gear and bring it to 3rd to keep the rpms at 3500 or so when climbing long hills. The temp does not drop at all until I reach the submit and the truck goes to 4th gear. At the time, it drops like a rock in 2-3 minutes.

I know people here will say that this behavior is normal, however, the difference between normal and 'pull over now' is barely nothing. This happened in 50 degree weather near the summit so I can't imagine that it would get better in 90 degree weather this summer. So, it is either sell the truck or try to make 1-2 mods to see if it helps. I don't like driving w/ the needle up that high. It feels like I am a millimeter away from being stranded.

So my question is, if I add a bigger tranny pan and the 10 qt or so of the AMsoil stuff, can I expect a different behavior on the tranny temp? Has anyone tested the temp before and after a pan replacement w/ a BD GT or something like that?

Any other advise on a mod that would help w/ the tranny temp would be appreciated.

Please note that all fluids are fresh and have recently been changed.

Mike

·
Registered
869 Posts
Add an external trans cooler.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has one already. This Titan has the factory tow package.
Is this any different than what the truck comes with?

Mike

·
Registered
563 Posts
With the bigger aluminum trans pan and new/different fluid (amsoil, RP etc..) that should handle the extra heat effectively. Also make sure your trans cooler isnt starting to clog. Maybe check your condenser, radiator,trans cooler for external damage or clogging from debris or mud.

·
Registered
34 Posts
im having the same issue..but my truck overheats with no load of any kind..just have 35" tires.. i just bought a b&m trans cooler with a electric fan...ill post when i put it on and see what happens

·
Registered
1,511 Posts

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Just add a plate cooler in front of the radiator. Many write ups here on install.

Our temps gauges are crap and I told that to Nissan Techs at the Titan Rally NIssan Sponsered a year ago as coolant temperature at straight up on my truck (dead Center on gauge) is 210F.

Adding a cooler thermostat Nissan 170F as found will also help as the stock tranny lines pass from cooler back into radiator before going back to tranny.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Hey Randy!!! I need some candles!!!

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Just add a plate cooler in front of the radiator. Many write ups here on install.

Our temps gauges are crap and I told that to Nissan Techs at the Titan Rally NIssan Sponsered a year ago as coolant temperature at straight up on my truck (dead Center on gauge) is 210F.

Adding a cooler thermostat Nissan 170F as found will also help as the stock tranny lines pass from cooler back into radiator before going back to tranny.
i tried to find the cooler post but couldnt find it. found the external cooler install you did, very good, thanks.

what gauge you recomend and where to install it?

and what place you got your cooler? good price? link?

thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts