·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shopping for a hard folding tonneau cover. Would like to find one that:
1. Does not interfere with Titan Track system
2. Can accommodate a removable rack that exceeds cab height
3. Can accommodate a tool box and/or OEM load divider
Mine is a short bed so the rack being able to exceed cab height will allow me to carry long objects without hanging them off the back of the truck bed. Telescoping rack short/tall rack would be fine, but need it to be able to exceed cab height for ladders or 8'+ lumber for example. I have looked at RHR and BAK equipment. RHR makes some cool rack tonneau combos, but does not appear to make a rack tonneau combo for a 2021 Titan ("make" drop down on the product page does not include Nissan.) I like the BAK hard folding tonneau and the BAK Box that fits under the cover, but the stanchions on their rack look kinda flimsy. Anyone have a BAK rack that can comment on that?
I appreciate thoughts, suggestions, photos if you got 'em.

·
Premium Member
4,723 Posts
BakFlip MX4 is the largest selling cover out there.

Clint

·
Registered
128 Posts
If you’re open to a hard rolling cover I’d recommend a Bak Revolver 4s… very durable and secure, better visibility than the BakFlip when not fully extended and is super easy to use. Very nice product.

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
4,032 Posts
but do they fit a rack also? that's the main inhibitor for what he wants. same trouble i have trying to find a cover to fit with the sport bar

·
Registered
92 Posts
If you’re open to a hard rolling cover I’d recommend a Bak Revolver 4s… very durable and secure, better visibility than the BakFlip when not fully extended and is super easy to use. Very nice product.
Do you have pics of your install? My buddy just got this for his 2019 P4X and the fit is horrendous. I actually wanted to upgrade to one of these and I am holding off after seeing his. The first he received had a manufacturing defect, they sent him a second and he had it professionally installed and it's just not good enough for my standards.

Maybe he's an anomaly, and I hope so. I know you have to flip the utilitrack rails and BAK makes a toolbox that will go with it and fit under the cover. You can still use utilitrack and add accessories.

Fitting with a rack... no idea. The only cover I knew of that fit with a rack (kept stake pockets exposed) was from Retrax.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Do you have pics of your install? My buddy just got this for his 2019 P4X and the fit is horrendous. I actually wanted to upgrade to one of these and I am holding off after seeing his. The first he received had a manufacturing defect, they sent him a second and he had it professionally installed and it's just not good enough for my standards.

Maybe he's an anomaly, and I hope so. I know you have to flip the utilitrack rails and BAK makes a toolbox that will go with it and fit under the cover. You can still use utilitrack and add accessories.

Fitting with a rack... no idea. The only cover I knew of that fit with a rack (kept stake pockets exposed) was from Retrax.
I posted pics in here somewhere on another toneau cover thread. The fit on mine is flawless really. I left it out in the hot TX sun for a few hours after the install and all the rubber seals smoothed out. I hadn't noticed the part of his post regarding the rack, not sure if it would work or not... probably not.

·
Premium Member
4,723 Posts
Retrax Pro XR

This is a hard cover that allows for a rack system. Pretty cool design!
It looks great but our bed is short enough as it is and the canister up front takes up precious space. If I was just going to spend $2000 more I’d start looking at XD Titans and gain real estate and get a cover later on. For those who regularly fill the bed that cover though nice isn’t practical. An Armada and a trailer would work even better in many situations.

Clint

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Titan Platinum Reserve
102 Posts
Retrax Pro XR

This is a hard cover that allows for a rack system. Pretty cool design!
Our local dealer, has a hard trifold as well, he just drilled and bolted his rack, works well, he can remove the cross bars so the cover still folds up, to some degree. It's a neat idea, but I'd prefer to have a rack I don't have to drill through the cover for.
I was thinking of making some sort of rack that I could utilize the pocket holes on the truck rails.

I installed the Bakflip MX4 on our 2019, with utilitrack system, didn't take me long, very straight forward and saved myself about $200 on the installation fee.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm currently considering a Pace Edwards either Full Metal Jackrabbit or Armortech Jackrabbit with Explorer rails. The Explorer rails work with Yakima, Thule, Rhino, and obviously Pace Edwards bed racks. Armortech is aluminum with vinyl fabric cover. Full Metal Jackrabbit is coated aluminum and can support more load on the cover. Price difference is about $500... Potential for scratch versus tearing. Metal would probably deter some jackass thief from trying to cut through it... Decisions decisions 🤔

·
Premium Member
4,723 Posts
Our local dealer, has a hard trifold as well, he just drilled and bolted his rack, works well, he can remove the cross bars so the cover still folds up, to some degree. It's a neat idea, but I'd prefer to have a rack I don't have to drill through the cover for.
I was thinking of making some sort of rack that I could utilize the pocket holes on the truck rails.

I installed the Bakflip MX4 on our 2019, with utilitrack system, didn't take me long, very straight forward and saved myself about $200 on the installation fee.
Want a great laugh? Go find Nissans accessories page and they have the Bakflip mounted backwards.

Clint

• Haha
Reactions: TitanRob24

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
The Yakima OverHaul HD is the rack I want to use. They sell as fast as they get them in and they are pricey so it may be a minute before I can get one. After a conversation with Yakima to make sure I would eventually be able to get one, they informed me that the Pace Edwards Ultragroove covers were the only PE covers that they had successfully test fit with the OverHaul racks (They also work with Retrax covers :unsure:) STILL WAITING to hear back from Pace Edwards about some questions I have regarding their covers.:confused: Didn't expect it would take weeks to be able to make an informed decision about which cover/rack combo to get.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2018 5.5 ft. bed, with a Bakflip mx4 and Adarac pro series rack. It doesn't look as good as some of the other racks but it's only on when it's needed. The uprights are near vertical so the Bakflip has clearance to open.
Land vehicle Vehicle Window Hood Motor vehicle
Car Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for posting the pics Anhnam! My buddy has a Bakflip on his Frontier. Nice cover! Still making up my mind about the racks. I am kinda stuck on the Yakima racks. I like the look and the accessories available for it. The Adarac system is worth considering though. Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
2019 Titan SV 4x4, cayenne red
8 Posts
Id go with the LOMAX over anything else. Check them out, it's worth it. Weathertech actually buys them and renames them but same factory and you'll save 75 to 100 bucks. I have it, love it and it's not in the way and it's the lowest of the the low profiles without that rubber weatherstripping look that all the bak and undercover have. Check them out on the LOMAX or weathertech websites, you won't regret it

·
Premium Member
4,723 Posts
Id go with the LOMAX over anything else. Check them out, it's worth it. Weathertech actually buys them and renames them but same factory and you'll save 75 to 100 bucks. I have it, love it and it's not in the way and it's the lowest of the the low profiles without that rubber weatherstripping look that all the bak and undercover have. Check them out on the LOMAX or weathertech websites, you won't regret it
Can it fold completely open like the Bakflip?
Losing 1/3 of the bed open is a big no for more truck bed users than not.

Clint

·
Registered
2019 Titan SV 4x4, cayenne red
8 Posts
Can it fold completely open like the Bakflip?
Losing 1/3 of the bed open is a big no for more truck bed users than not.

Clint
No it can't but it is so light and only 37lbs that I usually just have it off next to anything big enough in the bed or a cpl times behind me in the cab. It's only 2 inches wide when folded up.
But to be honest, if I know I'm going to use my whole bed, I take it off before I go and leave it in the garage personally. I don't use my titan as a work truck so I know that may not work for some. I know I've beaten this drum for the LOMAX before but I seriously get compliments from all different brand truck owners. My neighbor has a ram and after I got mine he was so impressed he got one.
I'm not a huge fan of the bak brand ones bc you sacrifice visibility. I am a tractor trailer driver and haul steel so using my mirrors is not foreign to me but when it's my titan I like to keep watch of my cargo (mostly bc I'm cheap and don't want to have to buy something again bc of a scratch or what not). The PARAGON was my second choice but they were back ordered for months.
The bak and undercover brands I've seen do too much damage to the trucks. That plastic bed caps on either the fords or rams always have Lil nicks on them, never notice them with softs or other hards.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts