Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best option in long tube headers for our titans? I was looking at either the stillen or the nismo ones. They both seem popular here on TT. I was planning on running them with stillen B-pipes, and i have a cat back exhaust already. Any input would be appreciated. Also, what's the benefit of ceramic coated headers? Are they worth the extra $$?

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
Nismo's are the best design right now. Doug Thorely just came out with a set of LT headers, but no one really has experience with them right now. The Nismo is by far a superior design than the Stillens. I honestly wouldnt even waste the money on Stillen B-pipes. Some people were getting codes with them, I think the cats they used where cheap. You could have a muffler shop fab you up some b-pipes for cheaper probably. The coating helps to keep the heat inside the header and not in the engine bay and not possibly burning up wires. I don't personnally think it will effect performance either way, mine arent coated and I run better times than people who have the same mods as me and coated headers. I think it's cool to have, but there isnt a real point in spending the extra money to get it done

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
I prefer the Powerflow headers.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
just go with NISMO unless you can wait till we get some info from DOUG THORLEY..

ive heard the stillens you have to extend your 02 sensors. nismo headers you don't have to extend anything.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Thorley headers do not require any cutting or splicing just like the Stillens..

FYI, my truck is running great with the DTLT headers on it (as far as AFR goes) where as Jeremy B was running at nearly 15.2 AFR right after putting on his Stillen LT's.. Might be something to take into consideration if you dont have any type of tuning equiptment yet.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL, did these replies make your decision any easier? HAha, your always going to get different perspectives
Haha thats definitely true. At least it looks like i should steer away from stillen. I kindof had that impression already but wanted to hear what people had to say about it. I think i'm going to go with the Nismo's just because i haven't heard any complaints about them.

So I was going to go with the stillen B-pipes just to keep my ses light off. I assume i'll need to either use them or have something similar fabricated in order to do that? Thats my one fear with long tubes, I don't want to throw any codes.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Haha thats definitely true. At least it looks like i should steer away from stillen. I kindof had that impression already but wanted to hear what people had to say about it. I think i'm going to go with the Nismo's just because i haven't heard any complaints about them.

So I was going to go with the stillen B-pipes just to keep my ses light off. I assume i'll need to either use them or have something similar fabricated in order to do that? Thats my one fear with long tubes, I don't want to throw any codes.

again, DO NOT BUY the stillen bpipes. its a 50/50 chance that the ses will go off...

OR...

buy some highflow cats and have an exhaust shop weld them on to your bpipes. MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH CHEAPER!!!

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
Yeah like Pinoytitan said...Oh wait you have an 08....Ok you have 4 cats already. You can either simply move your 02 sensors in you b-pipes behind your secondary cats..OR buy some High Flow cats with rear 02 bung, have a muffler shop weld the HF cats in place of you stock cats, then move the 02 sensor into the bung on the HF cat. You have sensors in the headers that you dont need to worry about, just install those in the new headers. But you have to get those 02 sensors in the b-pipes behind some cats. Thats why most just buy a HF cat with a rear 02 bung already in them. You will not be disappointed with the Nismo, I promise

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok thanks alot O-five. That sounds like a better option and i wouldn't be stuck using stillens lousy cats. I've heard good things about magnaflows so i think i'll go that route provided they make one with the rear o2 bung.
Then for the nismo headers, injen CAI and an uprev tune, and that should be about all my wallet will allow for now.
Thanks alot for the input guys.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Go with nismo or wait and see how the Doug thorleys measure up against them.

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
If you can wait 3-5 weeks, there will be few folks with Doug Thorley's long tubes mounted. I'm sure some of them will be posting their stats. I for one will must likely have a before and after.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
IF I can find a dyno around here I'd LOVE to get my truck dyno'd before and after the DTs. I have an aFe stg2, Helix TBS, Tb coolant bypass, flowmaster 40 on stock piping and a power puppy so I'm curious to see what I dyno on 35" toyos with 20" rims LOL. I'm sure the headers are gonna kinda suck but they're the cheapest ones. from a low end point of view I mean. I got tri-y ceramics on my old car and it had gains in mid to high rev but down low was about the same iirc.. had a chip in there and full ignition TRUE cai full stainless catback thermal R&D um, forget what else but it had alot besides true motor work and FI... that's where I stopped and decided IF I wanted to pursue speed I'd start with a better platform and fell off performance ever since because my roots were always stereo :D

ANYway back on topic, I also think the nismo's would be the best because they're equal length, possibly the powerflows also Chris was sellin I think a few years back on here... but he never went mainstream and the price wasn't anywhere near what his original projection was, the DT for $625 + ship is the best I've seen, besides used ones, and I'm not too big a fan of used motor gear..

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I took a look at those Doug Thorleys, and i think i might just have to take your guys' advice and put this project on hold for a bit until we start seeing some dyno numbers from them. I wouldn't touch that group buy for something that hasn't seen any use yet, but if they contend with the nismo ones once some people put them on a dyno, they aren't too much more expensive and they look like they'd last longer. Maybe i'll find some place to make me some new B-pipes with magnaflow cats while I wait so it won't be such an ordeal when i want to put headers in.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
there is someone on TT (maybe on here too) that has been running the Doug Thorley's for a couple weeks from what I've read. Although he hasn't posted any dyno's of those headers since he got the actual set put on his truck. I too am waiting to see the results of the doug thorleys before I choose a set of headers.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
there is someone on TT (maybe on here too) that has been running the Doug Thorley's for a couple weeks from what I've read. Although he hasn't posted any dyno's of those headers since he got the actual set put on his truck. I too am waiting to see the results of the doug thorleys before I choose a set of headers.
I'm the only one with a set of Thorley long tubes on a Titan as of right now.

The dyno showed a gain of 24rwhp and 43rwtq.. Thats on an untuned 04 Titan..

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah those are pretty impressive numbers so i'm starting to lean toward those. I just want to hear a few different opinions on them before i spend that much money on headers. I don't mind paying $150 more since i'm not in the group buy, but i only plan on buying one set of headers so i want it to be the right set.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts