Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, looking for some advice here. Looking to get a new muffler or exhaust setup this coming week and trying to make a decision. I'm looking for something with that deep sound the flowmaster 40s have while also being pretty loud. My old truck had 40s turned downed at the rear axle, but the drone was ridiculous at 65mph. I want something deep and meaty sounding while being loud enough where people will hear me without the crazy drone. Thinking about cherry bomb extreme, but not sure what they sound like. I'm open to suggestions as far as setup, turndowns or duals out the back, keep resonator or cut it off, and what muffler. Everyone around here has flowmasters turned down so I'm hoping to get something a little different. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Well, I am building my own exhaust on my new titan from the first set of cats back,(did it on my old one too) and I will be running tailpipes all the way back so that I will not have that Drone. I had my old T dumped at the axle for a while, and it vibrated all sorts of stuff in cab. I put the tail pipes on with the same Flowmaster 40 series...MUCH BETTER. Not even going to waste my time dumping it this time.

·
Registered
193 Posts
This time I bought a dual in dual out knock off of a flowmaster. From what I can see, it looks the exact same on the inside as the flowmaster, has just as thick of a shell, and I only paid $30 plus $10 shipping.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help. I really wanna just take them straight out the back but i don't want that crackling glasspack sound just a good deep loud sound.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Check in the performance section. Look at the thread about Cherry Bomb extreme and dynomax bullets.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thanks for the help. I really wanna just take them straight out the back but i don't want that crackling glasspack sound just a good deep loud sound.
The DynoMax bullet is what I have. Everywhere I go, heads are turning. It has this real low sound at low RPM's and once you rev up to like 4000 or more, it really opens up and actually sounds like a race truck... Pretty sweet... :redblob"

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Benn doing some more reading, one question I have is if I cut off the back 2 resonators on my 05 cc will it trigger a check engine light, and will it make much of a difference in sound?

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
Reactions: WhiteLightning

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Well i personally love my setup (see sig), and its louder than Sh*t. I only hear drone at 1700-1750, and its not terrible, at 65 im at 1500rpms, and i dont get drone till 1700-1800, and thats at around 70-80mph. Also, with a WOT, people have told me it sounds like a race truck.

A friend of mine has a FM Single Chamber (Off road only) with a 5" Tip dumped before the axle, and suposedly its the loudest exhaust that the shop in our city can get. I constantly have people tell me mine is just as loud and sounds way better.

I do love the sound of the Bullets though, it does sound more race-like, but i think ill stick with mine for quite a while.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
This time I bought a dual in dual out knock off of a flowmaster. From what I can see, it looks the exact same on the inside as the flowmaster, has just as thick of a shell, and I only paid $30 plus $10 shipping.
Interested in how this turns out!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have 2 flows single chamber 6" race mufflers with an X-pipe, exiting in front of each rear tire. low deep sound in low RPM, race truck track in mid to upper RPMs. Awsome!!!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Interested in how this turns out!
I'll do a report on it this weekend...I will be doing it on Saturday I finish building my front bumper. On my old T, I eliminated the two 90 degree bends the DS bank has to go through, and replaced them with 45 degree bends and a diagonal piece. Made the engine run SO MUCH more balanced.....before you could tell the difference between the DS and PS firing b/c the vibrations the 90s cause(you can on every titan if you pay enough attention-my new one is the same way). I will be doing this again, but it is going to be a little more tricky since I have 4wd this time....but I did find my path the other day when I was under it.

One difference on my old t and this one is that I had an H pipe in the old one and two 40 series flows. This one I am going to have a dual in and dual out version without an x or H pipe. Tail pipes will be routed on either side of my spare, then through my rear bumper's cutouts.

Attachments

·
Registered
423 Posts
This one I am going to have a dual in and dual out version without an x or H pipe. Tail pipes will be routed on either side of my spare, then through my rear bumper's cutouts.
This is the exact setup I had until yesterday...removed rear cats, dual in/dual out flowmaster 40 series knock-off, duals out the back...no x or h pipe. I made a video comparing the sound with pipe in place of the rear cats vs dynomax bullets in place of the rear cats (used as resonators to smooth out the sound)....

yesterday, i went back to a magnaflow 22" dual in/dual out....i LOVED the way mine sounded with the flowmaster knock off and bullets, but the drone was starting to get old....with the bullets still in place, it made the magnaflow perfect. without the bullets, every magnaflow I've tried (after removing rear cats) had absolutely terrible card in spoke sound...now it's just right.

Reactions: jpac811

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I have the bullet dumped before the rear axle with LT's and walker b-pipes. I just had it dyno tuned and during the tuning, it shook the walls and rumbled the floor. I had several of the sales people comment on how they liked the way it sounded.

Reactions: EDDIE FONZARELI

·
Registered
745 Posts
Just got true duals with a X pipe and dynomax bullets with full length tailpipes and resonated tips, total cost of the exhaust was around $350 to buy all the parts and have them installed. the sound is AMAZING!!! Hands down the best sounding truck exhaust I have heard, its loud and really deep almost like straight pipes, but without the crackling and popping that comes with straight pipes. Those resonated tips really clean up that bullet muffler...

i got all my parts off Ebay, 2.5" dynomax bullets for $85 shipped, X pipe for $40 shipped then another $30 for the tips shipped, then $200 at the exhaust shop to get it all welded up with 2.5" pipe from the factory cats all the way back to the tails. Had a guy follow me home yesterday to ask how I got that sound without all the ******* noise as he called it.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
BrookGehle,
There are many knockoffs of established brands on the market. Some are decent, but many are made from cheap materials and will not last. When you buy a muffler, you are paying for the consistent sound and quality coatings, material, and construction.
Flowmaster offers stainless steel construction with a 10-year protection warranty and 3-year protection on aluminized products. You can't tell by looking at a product if the steel is of good quality!
Also, many people don't think about this, but when knock-off companies copy the R&D of established companies, they cost people jobs. Flowmaster does all their prototyping, testing and construction here in the U.S.A. and by supporting companies which steal that technology, customers are telling US companies that they don't value that research and product testing. This is true of all aftermarket companies, not just Flowmaster.

·
Registered
193 Posts
BrookGehle,
There are many knockoffs of established brands on the market. Some are decent, but many are made from cheap materials and will not last. When you buy a muffler, you are paying for the consistent sound and quality coatings, material, and construction.
Flowmaster offers stainless steel construction with a 10-year protection warranty and 3-year protection on aluminized products. You can't tell by looking at a product if the steel is of good quality!
Also, many people don't think about this, but when knock-off companies copy the R&D of established companies, they cost people jobs. Flowmaster does all their prototyping, testing and construction here in the U.S.A. and by supporting companies which steal that technology, customers are telling US companies that they don't value that research and product testing. This is true of all aftermarket companies, not just Flowmaster.

I have already installed one on a ford, and it sounds great.

I understand all that you speak of, after all I did graduate with a BSME. I also understand that I dont have to pay the other companies for the engineering that took place by flomaster YEARS more ago than a patent would be good for, b/c they just reverse engineered(or copied) it in 1/100th the time.

Thanks for stating the obvious though to defend the "superior" product. And dont get me wrong, if I had a choice between the two and they were both free, I would choose the name brand any day...but my pocket decides otherwise when it is less than 1/2 the price. Ive burned through 2 flowmasters in the past 10 yrs on my jeep, a magnaflow in less than a yr, so if these last 2 yrs, I would be happy. By then I will probably want to change it again anyway.

Rather than paying the companies over and over again for the engineering that has many times been paid for, why not encourage them to design new products by turning to cheaper sources for their old designs? Would this not satisfy both the customer market and the companies? I guess we just shouldn't make their engineers have to keep working for LEADING EDGE technologies and they should get to sit there and do nothing while the taking in the benefits of the past. Would this not give MORE ppl jobs? Ppl to take over the cheap production of old products, and more room for innovative engineers in the big companies to make better products.

Then look at it from the companies point of view. Maybe Flowmaster has sold the rights to label it otherwise and it may be off the exact same production line, and just receive a different label at the end. Kinda like Roper vs whirlpool. Same electricals, different name. You make it look a little spiffier or have a better name and sell it to the "richer" crowd and you label it as something else less well known to still make the sales to the lower budget crowd. They make a SH** load more money doing these strategies than just selling it at one price as a unique item.

Think about it a little more in depth than the one dimension you look from.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Not to mention the fact that my muffler was "built in the USA" giving another american an income.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts