Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I went off-roading for the first time ever yesterday & the bug has most certainly bitten me! So now I appear to have 2 very expensive hobbies, boating & off-roading. When I was off-roading over the rocky trails, I was definitely wishing I had a lift on my 100% stock 2005 SE w/ the off-road package. However, I am also considering upgrading to a bigger boat so towing capacity is very important to me.

In lieu of all that, what are the best mods I can do that gain me off-road performance while still maintaining my ~9000 lb towing capacity? I don't really want to get into heavy modifications that void warranties or cost tons of money or really drag down my gas mileage either since it's a daily driver & 12MPG sucks already.

I'm not looking to do extreme rock climbing or anything like that, just moderate boulder fields (up to maybe 12-16" rocks), uneven dirt trails, some mud, etc.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
I would get a Bully Dog GT Tuner, CAI & Exhaust for performance then buy a lift kit! Boating is definitely an expensive hobby! :)

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Tires—Get something that has a combo AT/Highway tread. The Cooper Zeon LTZs and Hankook Dynapro RFTM are good choices.

New Shocks front and back—Can't go wrong with Bilstein 5100s or anything PRG sells. And for a matter of fact, get some PRG shackles.

Perhaps a PRG Minilift? Or 2008 Springs up front?

Derwud has this setup—Deaver C-10s with Airbags. I've got some RAS on in the back, but also have some C-10s in my garage and might want to try this at some point.

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
FWIW, I have a ProComp 6" Lift w/ SAW's from PRG currently on 325/60-18 Terra Grapplers.. My next set of tires will likely be 325/65-18 Cooper Discoverer STT... I tow a 6200-lbs TT and a 5500-lbs boat with no issues at all. Great setup for what it sounds like you're seeking IMHO, the advantage for you is you have more lift options like FabTech, Bulletproof, etc... :D

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
GET A TUNER! I just put one in on mine last Friday on my lifted T, and I wish I had done it sooner! You get all that power right back that you lose from big tires and lift and then some.

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
That's what I forgot to mention!!! I also use the Superchips Tow Tune when I'm towing... -lol....

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
I say leave the titan alone and buy yourself a beater for the trails.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I say leave the titan alone and buy yourself a beater for the trails.
Not a bad idea at all, but man, I was impressed with the stock Titan! I'm sure it's not hard to impress a newbie, but it really seemed to do VERY well along side the lifted Jeep Cherokees my friends were driving.

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
Well the way it works is that the first time you took it pretty easy on the trails this time. The next time your are going to try a harder trail and keep pushing until eventually you break something on the titan. To put a lift on your titan and still make have it capable of pull I would go with the PRG min lift and UCA right there you are looking at about $800.00 - $1000.00 plus shocks/coil overs with can be another $400.00 - $1200.00 and then you have to get tires witch can be a easy grand. So to get the titan trail worthy it will take an easy $2000.00 - $3000.00. Trust me with $3000.00 you can make a sick trail rig that can pretty much crawl over anything and do not have to worry about trashing out the Titan on the trails. And this will happen you will eventually break down on the trails it happens to all of us. It will be easier to get the trail rig home with the titan than to get the titan from the trails.

He is a pic of my trail rig. I am right at about $2500.00 into my build and it pretty much do anything I need it too

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Sweet Pathy, RAD!

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I lost count of the $$$ ive spent but my truck does it all, Ive never been stuck 4 wheeling (slow 4x4 stuff) I can pass Rhinos and other toys on the sand highway in the dunes (high speed 2x4 stuff) and I still tow anything I want, boat this weekend or flat bed full of 2 rhinos and quads next weekend.

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
Well the way it works is that the first time you took it pretty easy on the trails this time. The next time your are going to try a harder trail and keep pushing until eventually you break something on the titan. To put a lift on your titan and still make have it capable of pull I would go with the PRG min lift and UCA right there you are looking at about $800.00 - $1000.00 plus shocks/coil overs with can be another $400.00 - $1200.00 and then you have to get tires witch can be a easy grand. So to get the titan trail worthy it will take an easy $2000.00 - $3000.00. Trust me with $3000.00 you can make a sick trail rig that can pretty much crawl over anything and do not have to worry about trashing out the Titan on the trails. And this will happen you will eventually break down on the trails it happens to all of us. It will be easier to get the trail rig home with the titan than to get the titan from the trails.

He is a pic of my trail rig. I am right at about $2500.00 into my build and it pretty much do anything I need it too
Things don't necessarily work that way for everyone... I have to tow my TT to go anywhere worthy of offroading and cannot legally tow a Trail Rig behind it... If it weren't for having the truck lifted, I wouldn't have been able to hit the trails out in Wyoming and Moab earlier this year...

And I haven't broke anything yet, it's just a matter of knowing your vehicle's limits and not pushing past them... That canyon you're in for example, I would've looked at the possibilty of stagging my tires over on the right side more to keep the door panels off the wall and if it couldn't have been done safely I would've found another way around it... However, I offroad for the scenery and to enjoy nature more than to show "my truck can do this", which might take a little of the fun away for some people. Sweet Pathy you have there though. :D

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
Things don't necessarily work that way for everyone... I have to tow my TT to go anywhere worthy of offroading and cannot legally tow a Trail Rig behind it... If it weren't for having the truck lifted, I wouldn't have been able to hit the trails out in Wyoming and Moab earlier this year...

And I haven't broke anything yet, it's just a matter of knowing your vehicle's limits and not pushing past them... That canyon you're in for example, I would've looked at the possibilty of stagging my tires over on the right side more to keep the door panels off the wall and if it couldn't have been done safely I would've found another way around it... However, I offroad for the scenery and to enjoy nature more than to show "my truck can do this", which might take a little of the fun away for some people. Sweet Pathy you have there though. :D
I absolutely agree with you POPS.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts