Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where have you guys found the best price on nissan matic-j atf for our titans. I'm at 85000 miles and it hasn't been changed so i figured its time, my dealer told me a simple drop and refill would be sufficent but i would like to change it all because i use it to tow a lot.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Where have you guys found the best price on nissan matic-j atf for our titans. I'm at 85000 miles and it hasn't been changed so i figured its time, my dealer told me a simple drop and refill would be sufficent but i would like to change it all because i use it to tow a lot.

You can get Royal Purple Max ATF at Advance Auto Parts, it's worked great for me. You can also pick up Mobil 1 synthetic atf at any parts store.

If you want to order Amsoil, you can order from their website. It takes 16 qts to do a complete fluid exchange.

People have never had a problem with any of these fluids and they perform better than the Matic dealer fluids.

Edit...Matic J has been replaced by Matic S

Good luck!

·
Registered
68 Posts
You are not going to find matic j anymore as it has been replaced with matic s. The best thing is to probably just pick it up at the local dealer because you can find it cheaper online but shipping costs will probably negate any savings. I would probably just do a change and then drive for a little then do a pan drop and that should get the fluid pretty clean. After that do a drain and fill once a year. The matic fluid is pretty expensive but in my own experience the new lower viscosity maxlife atf works well. If you change your own oil it's easier than that but the most important thing to do is to measure what comes out and replace with the same amount. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, i assume the "S" will be ok to mix with the "J" if i decide to just drop the pan and refill.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Thanks guys, i assume the "S" will be ok to mix with the "J" if i decide to just drop the pan and refill.
Yes, they are compatable fluids.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I got Matic-S for $8.16 a qt from my dealer. I printed the price for it from nissanpartszone and they matched the price. The part number is 999MP-MTS00P.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I have some, let me look and see how many quarts i still have.

Will post back in the morning.

It takes 5-6 quarts to do a pan drop and fill.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Whats the best way to clean the metal screen, what kind of gasket does the trans pan have, i don't guess its reusable? I've tried the search but couldn't find anything on the gasket.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I did a drain/fill a couple weeks ago and used the Castrol import vehicle ATF. It was about $4.00qt at Advanced. Quite a few other Titan owners used this and haven't had any issues with it, so that's why I used it.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Whats the best way to clean the metal screen, what kind of gasket does the trans pan have, i don't guess its reusable? I've tried the search but couldn't find anything on the gasket.
Pan has a drain plug, no need to drop it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what is your cold fluid level on the dipstick before driving and letting the motor warm up. I have a weird feeling mine was a little off from the dealer when I bought it. I think they overfilled. The first drain I did sounded like there was some air trapped in the system but I refilled with the same amount.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
My tranny started acting up at just over 60k miles... i bought it with 57k from a nissan dealer and they refused to do anything about it. I yanked the plug, drained and filled it, and the problem went away. Oh and this was when it was still Matic-J fluid and i paid $16.xx/qt:huh: Yeah... try telling your girlfriend you cant take her to dinner because you had to spend $120 on friggin transmission fluid...

Ive got just over 100k on the truck now and will be doing a flush with the Valvoline MaxLife ATF. I get a killer deal on it through work so it makes sense for me to do it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts