Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm sure there are plenty of union tradesmen/women here on TT. I'm looking for a career change since being laid off a few months ago. I'm interested in a skilled trade along the lines of a pipefitter, sheet metal worker or electrician.

I'm wondering what's your trade and do you enjoy it or regret going into it? How's the pay and job availability and what part of the country do you work?

I look forward to your replies. Thanks.

Mars

·
Registered
939 Posts
How about aircraft mechanic?? They are ALWAYS looking for mechanics. And the pay is pretty good too. Of course, you gotta get an A&P (Airframe and Powerplant) license. Honestly I think that would be the way to go, either that or your standard auto mechanic.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I'm an electrician around the atlanta Ga. area and jobs are lacking right now and I too am laid off and have been for a while now but as far as liking it, I love doing electrical work and the pay is good if your licenced and ok if your not.

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
How about aircraft mechanic?? They are ALWAYS looking for mechanics. And the pay is pretty good too. Of course, you gotta get an A&P (Airframe and Powerplant) license. Honestly I think that would be the way to go, either that or your standard auto mechanic.
You don't have to have a A&P to work in some shops. As long as the operator has a 145 license you can work under that. The guys working in our main hanger don't even use their A&P. Most of our sheetmetal guys don't even have a A license.

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
Commercial HVAC and Cookline is pretty cool. We are fairly slow right now too, but to keep up with hours, we just do Preventative Maintenance if there isn't enough Service calls. Their can be pretty good money in it if you get good at it. Basically the money can keep goin up as long as you keep getting better. IMO commercial is where it is at. Even in a bad economy and people want to stop spending, Fast Food restauraunts, convenience stores,...well anywhere that serves people and serves food always needs to have their refrigerators and A/C's working, so they have to call it in. I like it, I think I would love it if I was really good at it. I have been doing it almost 2 years and still don't know a whole lot, I can't wait to really learn it so I can make the big dollars and get to do more service calls....Another good thing, on the weekends, I get to scrape out (remove all copper and coils) anyhting that has been changed out, so its nice to make a few hundred bucks on a Saturday scrapping out a larg 20 ton A/C or 2 or 3 and taking them up to the scrape yard. I think my true passion would be to work on vehicles in a custom or power adding manner (not an oil change guy)

·
Registered
34,397 Posts
Agreed! My company is always looking for aircraft mechanics and if you get the A&P license, you probably will not have any trouble finding work!

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
Hey all, I'm sure there are plenty of union tradesmen/women here on TT. I'm looking for a career change since being laid off a few months ago. I'm interested in a skilled trade along the lines of a pipefitter, sheet metal worker or electrician.

I'm wondering what's your trade and do you enjoy it or regret going into it? How's the pay and job availability and what part of the country do you work?

I look forward to your replies. Thanks.

Mars
SoCal: Heating and air. Air being the big part of it.
Controls.
Installation.
Engineering.

My buddy got in about 10 years ago and is pulling 80 grand a year with nice bennies. Very nice.

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
Working on Air Crafts sounds cool too
It was lots of fun, but now is just another job.

Agreed! My company is always looking for aircraft mechanics and if you get the A&P license, you probably will not have any trouble finding work!
Yeah, I can find another job in less than a day. I don't know of any aviation company that would not hire a good qualified mechanic anytime they show up.

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
Working on Air Crafts sounds cool too
Here are some pics of the flight line at the base I am at right now. We have about 8 different bases, from Venice, La, to Galveston, TX.

Most of the aircraft where still flying when I took these pics.

The S-92's are the big ones on the end.

Mostly S-76's, but there are a few Bell 407's, EC-135's, and a Bell 206L-4 also.

·
Registered
34,397 Posts
Yeah, I can find another job in less than a day. I don't know of any aviation company that would not hire a good qualified mechanic anytime they show up.
See, my point exactly and the money is pretty good too! :eyebrow:

·
Registered
70 Posts
im a union steamfitter/pipefitter in alberta, dont think your interested in canada but, the pay is pretty good ($45/hr) plus benefits/pension etc.
(that is journeyman industrial wage), as far as much work, rite now is pretty slow but im sure it should pick up pretty soon.

·
Registered
939 Posts
You don't have to have a A&P to work in some shops. As long as the operator has a 145 license you can work under that. The guys working in our main hanger don't even use their A&P. Most of our sheetmetal guys don't even have a A license.
No, you don't NEED the A&P to be an aircraft mechanic, BUT, you're chances of getting hired go up exponentially, as does your starting pay.

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
No, you don't NEED the A&P to be an aircraft mechanic, BUT, you're chances of getting hired go up exponentially, as does your starting pay.
Correct, just trying to point out he could get the 3 years OJT while getting paid. Sure the pay is a lot less, but it is a way to earn the tickets to take the test.

·
Registered
10,960 Posts
Def go for the Air/ helicopter. I'm honda, yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Victory and Polaris factory trained tech and most of our local dealers have shut their doors for good. so I'm going in to the Medical field.

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
I'm looking into being an RN also. I know there is great potential where I am at (commercial HVAC), but I think I may be happier doing something else. I am currently searching Nursing and Helicopter/Aviation training online and seeing what can get done. Unfortunately, my background is not perfect, so i don't know how that would effect the RN career

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Best trade?.........I think you would have to look at whats hot in your
own area unless you are willing to move.
My nephew is an electrician who works for a contractor that
services the oil/gas industry. He works some on land, but mostly
offshore. There is plenty (sometimes too much) of work available & the
pay is very good.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts