Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have an 05 4x4 Off Road SE, Want a larger size tire and a small gain in overall clearance, should I just buy a 3in lift kit from Rough Country with their shocks/ struts... or pick up 2in leveling kit with adjustable Bilstein 5100s? I have air bags on rear axle as well. Any advice and recommendations regarding the lift and wheels/tires are appreciated. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Well, if you go higher than 1.5-2", you're going to need new upper control arms to avoid clanging into your coil bucket. You can either buy the RC kit, or buy pieces and make your own. You will probably spend more on UCAs if you buy pieces, but you'll get better quality. You will definitely get better quality with the 5100s than just about any other standard shock out there. Coilovers are a different matter entirely, but they are also 3-5x the price.

What you will need, if you don't go pre-built kit, is UCAs, shocks, spacers, sway bar links, and extended front bump stops, for the front, and blocks and shocks for the rear unless you want that goofy nose-up look. How much rear block depends on how much rake you want to keep. You can consider that 2" in front will be roughly level with stock rear, so 3" front would need 1" rear to be level, 2" rear for 1" of forward rake, etc.

Not sure what any of this does to your air bags, but I think nothing. They work on top of the spring, if I'm remembering correctly how those kits work on Titans, so blocks in back won't change their geometry.

I'm about to lift my 2011 Pro4X, and here's what I'm doing: I'm using PRG UCAs, 5100s front, set at middle setting. That should give me 3" front lift. Rear will be 1" lift shackles and 1.5" blocks, giving me 2.5" rear, and maintaining 1" of forward rake. With 2.5" lift, I'll be using 5125 rears to get the length and travel right. I'm making my own sway bar links for about half the price of what you can buy aftermarket, and I'll use Energy Suspension extended bump stops up front. Eventually I'd like to get a u-bolt flip kit for the rear and some extended bump stops, but that's another project for another day.

I've been advised to change out the lower front ball joints while I have it apart, but may take the easy route and just install new lower control arms. We'll see. I already have cam bolts so if you don't, count those in as something you'll need to get your alignment right.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I started with the 5100’s on the top setting, then wanted a bit more and installed the RC 3” with their struts. Both are on par with quality and ride. The 5100’s will give you a more level look than the RC kit. With the RC kit, I did have to trim the buckets for clearance. I kept the stock tire size, 275/60R20, but installed a 0 offset wheel to bring the tires out a bit. Had to remove the factory front mud flaps for tire clearance when turning. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm making my own sway bar links for about half the price of what you can buy aftermarket, and I'll use Energy Suspension extended bump stops up front.
Where did you get the extended bump stops? Energy Suspension doesn't show any for the Titan

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hey guys, I have an 05 4x4 Off Road SE, Want a larger size tire and a small gain in overall clearance, should I just buy a 3in lift kit from Rough Country with their shocks/ struts... or pick up 2in leveling kit with adjustable Bilstein 5100s? I have air bags on rear axle as well. Any advice and recommendations regarding the lift and wheels/tires are appreciated. Thanks everyone!
For what it is worth I ordered the RC UCAs and sway bar links and returned them. They're cheaply made and their customer service, for me, was terrible although others have said it was great.
I've ordered the Wulf UCAs but have not received them yet. So I cannot comment.
This forum used to rave about PRG from what I've read but no longer, the guy doesn't respond to calls or messages anymore.
I have no idea how dubyam got the UCAs, they've been sold out on the PRG webpage forever and again the guy doesn't answer the phone.
RC is the most plentiful stuff around but right now with what I've seen I wouldn't use their stuff. I spent a bit more but I think I've paid for quality. I would never recommend against 5100's but I personally went with the KYB SR4230Ks because they came assembled with the springs and a spacer (in hindsight I wouldn't have gotten the ones with the spacer but it is convenient).
I also went with Rocky Road Outfitters sway bar links and bracket and well as their rear shock-rock mounts.
Keep in mind none of this is installed but I've put a lot into researching this set up and have made a few returns.

I'm thinking once I get it installed I'll do a new write up. The other ones are dated and many of the things referenced no longer are available and a couple new things have come out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I put it in another post, but don't forget to consider new coils while you have it apart. You'd be surprised how much the stockers are drooping at 15 years old. Moog springs are around $100 for the pair. Cheap assurance that you'll get the most out of your lift components. I used the 5100s on my '12 Pro4x. They ride great at the stock setting, but like a lumber wagon on either of the lift settings. Just too much preload on the spring for me. Anyway, I put new UCA's in, a 2 1/2" spacer, cam bolts to keep my alignment guy happy, extended adjustable end links, and with the pinch weld mod I'm running 35 12.50s on a 18x9 -12 rim. FWIW. I think my net lift in the front was close to 4.5" when I did it last year. I'm sure it's settled a bit.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I put it in another post, but don't forget to consider new coils while you have it apart. You'd be surprised how much the stockers are drooping at 15 years old. Moog springs are around $100 for the pair. Cheap assurance that you'll get the most out of your lift components. I used the 5100s on my '12 Pro4x.
This is exactly what drove me to the KYB setup. Everything was new and already put together. Springs, struts and lift spacer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This is exactly what drove me to the KYB setup. Everything was new and already put together. Springs, struts and lift spacer.
I don't recall even seeing a complete lifted assembly when I was looking a little over a year ago, but I had my mind made up I wanted the Bilsteins anyway. I only wish there was a diff drop for these trucks without having to replace the whole crossmember. My CV angles are a little steep, but so far they're holding together ok. Only time will tell I guess.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yea I think it’s fairly new and technically doesn’t support the Pro4x but I talked to KYB and they just haven’t tested it and don’t know if it will achieve the advertised 2” lift.

·
Registered
4 Posts
NISMO
Nissan Motorsports Performance Suspension Kit

(New in the Box) NISMO Titan coil over suspension kit, 2" lift to 2" drop. Includes four Bilstein shocks,(fronts are adjustable with threaded perch) front coil springs, front upper shock mounts, rear shackles and rear add-a-leaf. Compliant and great on the street or light off-roading. All hardware included. Seriously interested contact Rob at [email protected]

See details at: NISMO Performance | Nissan USA. $1150.00 Firm or better offer!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts